Former Nurse PA ?????

I was never a nurse so NP wasn't an option.

My family is all military and PAs actually provided my care growing up but I never knew what they were.

My family also had plenty of nurses - both LVNs and RNs - they actually encouraged me to go the PA route more than anyone.

They encouraged me to go to a model that was in every branch of medicine and talked to me about the fewer fields available to NPs.

I changed directions after getting a BA in a completely unrelated field and realized I hated it.

I had a knack and desire for surgery --- helped at the veterinarian's office --- and the PA school closest to me still offered a surgical track back then -- 25 yrs ago. Now it is called a residency.

So, I chose PA because it appealed and I was not a nurse to start with.

Think about what field you want and the options available and look at the schoold for both.

I am a medical laboratory scientist with a BS in micro who is looking at inpatient heme/onc or infectious disease.  I decided upon a direct entry, 21 month, MSN which includes ~50% of the credits for a post-master NP certification.  My intention is to have a job lined up for immediate start as an RN on a heme/onc floor in exactly 21.5 months.  I will finish my NP while working 3x12s / week and leverage my experience with heme/onc patients into a heme/onc or ID position.  I live in a relatively NP/PA unfriendly state with hospitals that have a slight pro-NP slant.

As much as I might like to say "medical model", the PA route just can't offer me a similar arc with the same odds of success in my major midwest city.

As much as I might like to say "medical model", the PA route just can't offer me a similar arc with the same odds of success in my major midwest city.

there are 2 oncology postgrad programs for PAs. I would imagine a grad of one of these programs at Mayo or MD Anderson would have their choice of jobs.

I need not move on my arc and remove my kids from their grandparents.  There are no residency options for PAs or NPs in my city of 6mil+.  I will be able to work for one of the top cancer sites in the country without moving and without a residency.

fair enough. I was just sharing options for you and others to see a path to becoming a heme-onc PA.

I am a medical laboratory scientist with a BS in micro who is looking at inpatient heme/onc or infectious disease. I decided upon a direct entry, 21 month, MSN which includes ~50% of the credits for a post-master NP certification. My intention is to have a job lined up for immediate start as an RN on a heme/onc floor in exactly 21.5 months. I will finish my NP while working 3x12s / week and leverage my experience with heme/onc patients into a heme/onc or ID position. I live in a relatively NP/PA unfriendly state with hospitals that have a slight pro-NP slant.

Heme/onc and ID are both good fields. I would comment and say that if your only experience as a nurse is in heme/onc and then go into that field as an NP... you have already pigeon-holed your career. How do you know that's the type of "nursing" you want to practice when you have basically no experience in those fields as direct patient care?

It perplexes me how people have everything planned out before even starting school. FYI several classmates were set on specific specialties before PA school and most of them ended up in something completely different. And as a former Micro major myself, working as medical lab tech doesn't mean you have experience in ID or heme... Patient care is a little different than labs and microscopes (even though labs and microscopes are fun if I do say so myself!).

Short answer:  Careful analysis of my strengths, significant exposure to the science of ID and onc, and discussions with professionals in the field.

Bonus answer:  An inpatient heme/onc RN gets significant generalist inpatient experience applicable to damn near anything.

Everyone is pigeonholed in healthcare.  Not trying to dig you too hard, but your comments regarding the work experience of a heme/onc RN and a MLS are far off the mark.

Short answer: Careful analysis of my strengths, significant exposure to the science of ID and onc, and discussions with professionals in the field.

Bonus answer: An inpatient heme/onc RN gets significant generalist inpatient experience applicable to damn near anything.

Everyone is pigeonholed in healthcare. Not trying to dig you too hard, but your comments regarding the work experience of a heme/onc RN and a MLS are far off the mark.

Off the mark? How so? Experience in a field is way different than a perceived notion that you will fit in perfectly in a specific area of medicine based on "what someone tells you."

So I should assume you are doing an ACNP track since you will be taking care of the sickest inpatients? You are jumping the gun a little bit. That's all I'm trying to say. Get through nursing school. Get through NP school. And when you finally reach the upper echelons of nurses you can talk about being one and educate us on what it's like to be one.

In all seriousness, it is good to have a goal and best of luck to you in your education and career.

Off the mark? How so? Experience in a field is way different than a perceived notion that you will fit in perfectly in a specific area of medicine based on "what someone tells you."

So I should assume you are doing an ACNP track since you will be taking care of the sickest inpatients? You are jumping the gun a little bit. That's all I'm trying to say. Get through nursing school. Get through NP school. And when you finally reach the upper echelons of nurses you can talk about being one and educate us on what it's like to be one.

would hope so since FNPs have zero hospital rotations at many programs

I would say it is off the mark in the sense that your comments regarding a heme/onc RN and an MLS probably stem from a "perceived notion" regarding what those individuals do rather than experience in either field.

My family also had plenty of nurses - both LVNs and RNs - they actually encouraged me to go the PA route more than anyone.

They encouraged me to go to a model that was in every branch of medicine and talked to me about the fewer fields available to NPs.

I changed directions after getting a BA in a completely unrelated field and realized I hated it.

So, I chose PA because it appealed and I was not a nurse to start with.

Think about what field you want and the options available and look at the schoold for both.

Thank you

Wow sounds a lot like me. I got my CNA when i was in HS and did that to pay for college. I got my BA in another area and reilzed it was not for me less than 2yrs out.

My family are all devided some people think that NP is better and others think PA. As of right now i LOVE the primary care office i work at but I also want options. I have only worked in primary care and LTC/SNF. I know i dont want to work as a bedside nurse in a hospital like the one i worked at as a PCA for a very short time.

Better training and more residencies available. I was pretty tired of all things nursing and especially nursing academia. Wanted out from listening to ivory tower nurses all day long, who were even worse when I was pursuing my MSN.

Thank you.

I was looking at some of the NP programs local to me and there seems to be lots of fluff.

There were several factors why I chose PA over NP. Coming from an Emergency Department background, I was well aware that it would be easier coming back as a PA. As of now, I still want to do ED. Also, there appeared to be variability in the quality of NP programs. After much research, I was not as convinced that the NP schools would give me as much of a clinical foundation as PA training would. In my opinion, the quality of a NP student depended on what knowledge they brought with them into the program. In other words, the experience of the nurse and the desire to understand what they were doing. Although I believe I fit that bill, I still wanted a more robust education. I was not convinced that NP schooling would do that intrinsically as much as PA school. And these are just my top 2, I could go on. 

Now, there are advantages to becoming a NP, but it is my opinion that coming out of the gate after PA training I would be a stronger clinician with a good foundation in which to grow.  

For what it is worth -

NP is referred to as "advanced nursing" - I am not a nurse and don't know how to be a nurse - nurses come in all flavors - RN, BSN, MSN and it can take 2 years, 4 years, etc. I was not a nurse and didn't want to pursue that education to go on to NP education. Is "advanced nursing" really the practice of medicine? Just asking - no daggers. Is the education consistent enough and monitored enough to ensure that all graduates come out with a similar aptitude and skill set?

PA is a medical model - nobody freak - I am old - "trained by physicians to work with physicians in medicine/surgery" - so, all the PA schools are regulated and some uniformity and consistency occur. PAs come out of school with an "even" level of education - yeah, some get Masters, others BS - if you don't pass NCCPA PANCE - nobody cares whether you are Masters or Bachelors.

I see PA evolving to the independent practitioner with a much more consistent knowledge base and recertification process with national standards that put PAs at the forefront of what can be done to help health care in the US. 

I look forward to how PA evolves with our dwindling number or PCP physicians and growing population of potentially insured and always in need population.

For what it is worth -

NP is referred to as "advanced nursing" - I am not a nurse and don't know how to be a nurse - nurses come in all flavors - RN, BSN, MSN and it can take 2 years, 4 years, etc. I was not a nurse and didn't want to pursue that education to go on to NP education. Is "advanced nursing" really the practice of medicine? Just asking - no daggers. Is the education consistent enough and monitored enough to ensure that all graduates come out with a similar aptitude and skill set?

PA is a medical model - nobody freak - I am old - "trained by physicians to work with physicians in medicine/surgery" - so, all the PA schools are regulated and some uniformity and consistency occur. PAs come out of school with an "even" level of education - yeah, some get Masters, others BS - if you don't pass NCCPA PANCE - nobody cares whether you are Masters or Bachelors.

I see PA evolving to the independent practitioner with a much more consistent knowledge base and recertification process with national standards that put PAs at the forefront of what can be done to help health care in the US. 

I look forward to how PA evolves with our dwindling number or PCP physicians and growing population of potentially insured and always in need population.

I honestly do not see independence practice for PA's any time soon. NP's on the other hand (not that I agree with it) are independent in 20+ states. The ANA lobbyists have so much more legislative power compared to the AAPA. It's unfortunate, but most MD's/DO's will do everything they can to control and limit PA autonomy. 

I chose NP school over PA school for a variety of reasons (hospital administration, leadership positions within hospital, teaching opportunities, overseas medical missions, etc.). Heh unfortunately, I did not choose NP over PA because of the superiority of the curriculum. While I wish the curriculum was better, I have been very impressed by the faculty and curriculum at Rush University in Chicago. There definitely needs to be more balance within the NP curriculum.

Regardless, I do not think this will hinder the level of impact PA's will have across the country in healthcare. 

PA autonomy is coming down the pike.  It will happen.  My prediction is that within 4 years at least one state will have autonomy with many more states in the process. 

Stay tuned............................

For what it is worth -

When you get right down to the bottom of it, NP's practice medicine.  They don't practice "advanced nursing"- they do what we do.  Ideally, they should be under the same licensing boards that we are, but that bridge was crossed many years ago

PA autonomy is coming down the pike.  It will happen.  My prediction is that within 4 years at least one state will have autonomy with many more states in the process. 

Stay tuned............................

Do you have any evidence/resources to support this? If so, that's great!

There is one state in the early stages of preparing to go to the legislature with their proposal.   We may have other new developments that have occurred in our favor, such as the document written by the Federal Trade Commission regarding NPs scope of practice and trade restrictions.  This was written in 2013 (I think) and applies to PAs as well.  You can google search it.  AAPA is starting to come around and we must continue to knock on their door to support autonomy for PAs in every state and territory where PAs practice. 

Inch by inch, it's a cinch.   It is each individual's responsibility to advocate for the profession and to start talking to their state leaders.  Don't give up. 

Archived