I'm slightly more than half way though my Residency/Fellowship program.  I'm beginning to look for jobs and am hoping to work in Pediatric Neurosurgery.  I am aware of the AAPA Salary Report and do plan to use this when job hunting.  Currently, I'm looking for positions in the pacific NW (incl CA), CO, UT, midwest and eastcoast down to NC.  

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinion on salary negotiation and what your residency is 'worth' when job hunting.  I know it's very dependent on location, but I'm hoping to be in the 90s for my next position. 

Any advice or personal experience would be great!

I could be off track here, but if you are going through a residency program you'd better be pulling way more than 90k out the door.  You should be arriving at your first job highly skilled and experienced and a valuable resource for whatever practice picks you up.  

Unless you're trying to do peds neuro after, say, a geriatrics ortho residency.  In which case yes, 90k sounds appropriate :)

^ What they said!!! ^

Please don't sell yourself short. 

I have about 3 months left of my fellowship and am interviewing next week for a few jobs in northern California.  I can update you with my findings of salary negotiation afterwards, but I can tell you that a classmate of mine as a new grad in a family practice clinic (Dignity Health) started out with 53 and some change an hour...  40 hrs/week, no call, etc.  I'm taking this into account as opposed to the AAPA salary report, which I feel is very inaccurate.  I do not intend to sell myself short for the experience I have gained this past year.  In addition to all of the blood, sweat, and TEARS I've poured into this year... I would never have had this type of exposure if I just went straight to work... even if I went straight to work at the same institution where my fellowship is.   

I can also tell you that potential employers have been VERY interested in my experience and considering me for certain positions that they were requesting 2-5 years of experience. 

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.  And KateD I would definitely love a PM to hear about your experiences if you're willing to share.  

The only problem I keep thinking is as follows: 

I'm doing the Pediatric Surgery Fellowship at TCH, which I'm absolutely loving.  However, I've only done 2 months of NS (versus doing a neurosurgery residency program) because we rotate through all subspecialties.  I'm not sure how that experience translates the same.

Also, if anyone has any job leads/networking I'd love those as well.  

Put your CV on doccafe, pajobsite, healthecareers, etc. You will get bombarded by recruiters but this is a good way to see what's out there. Not all recruiters understand what a fellowship/residency is for PAs but can really emphasize it to potential employers after you explain it to them.

Your generalist peds surgery experience will apply in any subspecialty. I think you will find that employers really value the fact that you know the OR, know how to manage surgical patients, and can be brought up to speed quickly on the rest.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would say 125 for a residency trained PA

Residency does a few things

1) shows you are committed to tht field - unlikely to try surgery then quit to move to some other field

2) is worth about 5 years experience

3) you are starting at least mid way up the PA pile, and more likelly closer to the top as you choose to do a residency

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends if you will be assisting on cases. I'd look for 110-130k with 30-40% of collections. Even if they didn't offer that I would counter with that. The chances of you finding a peds neurosurgery practice is tough. I'd be open to adult as well initially, there's not too many places out there and you will severely limit your opportunities with peds only

Archived