Should I do EMT-B?

I'm new here and need some advice. I just graduated college and have been working as a dermatology medical assistant since July. My GPA is 3.38 in Biological Sciences. I'm planning to apply next cycle (April 2016) and was wondering if I should start EMT-B.

I currently have been volunteering at a fire station (mostly ambulance ride-alongs) and had plan to take EMT-B class this summer, but then got the medical assistant job and didn't take the class. I have the option of taking the EMT-B class this fall, which would be 3 times a week for 4 months (Monday and Wednesday nights, and 9am-4pm on Saturday). I have put a lot of effort into the EMT-B option, but now I am not sure if it is worth doing it. If I were to follow through with the EMT-B class, I would get my EMT certificate in February and would basically have 3 months of experience as an EMT-B before applying, which isn't much. Also, my firestation doesn't really get that many calls (usually 0-2 calls per night).  I've also been thinking that EMT-B doesn't really give you that much relevant experience to what PA's/doctors do, give little interaction with PA's/doctors,  and is more about first aid care. 

However, I know that EMT-B is great for direct patient care and gives you the opportunity to make medically-related decisions. I got interested in EMT-B because I knew it would build my confidence in decision-making and communication. And if I don't get into PA school next cycle, then I can really build some more experience with EMT-B for the next cycle. 

Although I am learning a lot as a medical assistant, I do find my job lacking. I don't get to interact with the patients as much as I thought (no EKGs, taking blood pressure, administering medicines, drawing blood). It's also a narrow specialty (dermatology), so I wouldn't mind branching out more. 

Is it worth continuing to volunteer at the firestation and completing the EMT course, or should I focus my energy on something else? What other HCE should I consider? I've been thinking about scribing or CNA. Thanks for your help.

• Administrator

With both an MA and an EMT-B certificate, you will be that much more competitive, because it shows a diversity of medical situations.  And, if you don't get in first try, you will have a roadmap for that much more HCE for the second cycle.

Still, EMT-B is a LOT of work.  I don't plan on ever letting mine lapse. :-)

• Upvote 3

are you interested in emergency medicine or critical care after pa school? definitely do emt-b.

as you say, derm ma is a fairly limited skill set. I would encourage you to do emt-b if that aligns with your future goals, transition out of derm as an MA into a primary care practice, or do CNA if you have an interest in geriatrics.

• Upvote 1

I had a blast as an EMT. I don't ride much any more, but I volunteered all through PA school. The more patients you can see - in any context - the more you learn about caring for them.

Taking care of patients in an upside-down car in a ditch is also a much different skillset than caring for them in the ER. It's good stuff to know. I have had ER physicians show up at accident scenes and offer help and a lot fo the time they were functionally useless.

IMHO, one of the GREAT advantages of EMT experience is that you get to assess, "diagnose", and treat the patient, rather than watching someone else do it...it's a totally different type of experience when everyone on the scene is looking at you. Even though you're working with pretty well defined protocols, you've still got to pick the right one...quickly and on your own. It's a good experience and a pretty cool feeling to boot.

My advice would be to do the EMT training if you can work it out...I think I'd rather let the ambulance run over me than scribe.

• Upvote 3

I disagree with your statement that EMT-B does not get you any relevant experience to what a PA/doctor does. EMT's interact with patients that are experiencing some sort of traumatic, medical or psychological emergency. With that you will learn how to really communicate with a patient and what it truly means to care for one. You also get a head start on basic skills that will help you in PA school.

That being said, my EMT experience was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted to attend PA school. I have seen and been involved with some pretty incredible medicine and I don't think there would be anything to substitute for it pre-pa. Like you said, I also have had a very basic exposure to different types of medicine (trauma, respiratory, cardiac, dermatology, psychology, renal, endocrine, pediatrics, geriatrics, etc.) which will be useful in school, especially if you use each patient as a learning opportunity. Look into histories, medications, symptoms etc.

One word of caution though. One of the most annoying things is when I get an EMT trainee whose only reason for becoming an EMT and running on a truck is to get their PA school hours. It is very frustrating because, in my experience, a lot of those people are very hard to teach and lack the passion that an EMS provider needs. Only get your EMT certification if you truly, honestly, want to do it and keep in mind it is not an easy profession.

• Upvote 3

I did a combination of ER tech and 911 & critical care paramedic. I think that gave me the best possible exposure available for a future career in emergency medicine. I understood what happens in the field and what happens when pts arrive in the ER. I learned procedures on both sides of the equation. I learned about all the relevant meds, learned a lot about labs and xrays, etc. When it hits the fan I can still fall back on my medic skills and remain calm when everyone around me is spinning out of control.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...