Tips for Preceptors.

Guest Paula

I don't think that word means what you think it means. But you probably already knew that since you know that I know what it means and I, of course, know that you know that I know what it means.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

never mess with an EMPA when DEATH is on the line.....

Crazy. Crazy crazy. Here I thought young PA students sucked

She does understand that she is young.  I talked about taking personal responsibility for her patients and to not think that a physician will take it for her.  She got it.  Is she naive about life?.........yes, and she knows it.  Especially after hearing about my psych patients, drug seekers, and that some patients really do not take their medicine.  By the end of rotation I will be discussing negotiating for a contract and to be sharp as a serpent and wise as an owl.  She will be only 23 when ready to start her first PA job. 

Her curiosity about medicine stimulates me too.  There is stuff she is asking and my answers sometimes are "Oh, goodness I haven't thought about that for years and can't remember the exact answer.  That will be your clinical question for the day and we'll talk about it tomorrow when you have researched it".  She does her homework.  

So I think we do need to put  faith in our young PAs.  After all, they will be the ones who will carry the torch of PA-dom so we need to train them for the future.  (medically as well as in advocating for autonomy).  

She does understand that she is young. I talked about taking personal responsibility for her patients and to not think that a physician will take it for her. She got it. Is she naive about life?.........yes, and she knows it. Especially after hearing about my psych patients, drug seekers, and that some patients really do not take their medicine. By the end of rotation I will be discussing negotiating for a contract and to be sharp as a serpent and wise as an owl. She will be only 23 when ready to start her first PA job.

Her curiosity about medicine stimulates me too. There is stuff she is asking and my answers sometimes are "Oh, goodness I haven't thought about that for years and can't remember the exact answer. That will be your clinical question for the day and we'll talk about it tomorrow when you have researched it". She does her homework.

So I think we do need to put faith in our young PAs. After all, they will be the ones who will carry the torch of PA-dom so we need to train them for the future. (medically as well as in advocating for autonomy).

I was 23 when I got my C :-X I was being facetious buy i really really appreciate your post. Seems like you're a wonderful preceptor!!

Oh I understood you were being facetious. I actually remember when you were posting about getting your first job. Seems like you are doing a great job!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh I understood you were being facetious. I actually remember when you were posting about getting your first job. Seems like you are doing a great job!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd like to THINK I am :). I've had excellent comments and reviews. I'm known in nearby hospitals as well (somehow, don't ask me). I work my tail off every day and it isn't easy. But thank you! My biggest attribute considering I had less than 1000 hr pt contact prior to school is probably critical thinking in and outside the box mixed with pure compassion and ideals of teamwork across the board.

Archived