• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I feel we were cheated by the NCCPA when the Pathway was removed.  The format of the Pathway was more work for the NCCPA but I considered it a learning tool and I passed with flying colors after being away from my profession for 30 years.  Having only ONE format for testing while two  Panre and Pathway were always offered simply fails US as PAs.  Since many used the practical Pathway to remain "C" worthy...the NCCPA simply stopped working  for our profession when they didn't offer a similar format to replace it.  The tricky format of testing and perfectly vetted questions are a "gotch a minute" in a grueling lock up  timed test with our integrity supposedly invested in the outcome  IS Baloney! 

Each of us should really consider the reason for re-cert.  Boards are not a fact of life in the world of NPs.  I personal (as an RN)  know the power of the nursing lobby.  NPs NEVER take their booards once they pass them  They are only required to keep up the same number of CME as we do!  We work side by side. NP are regulated by  powerful Nursing Boards  and clearly don't have the scrutney we seem to "need" to be a PA!   While  talented  practicing PAs spend precious time in "Blueprint study"obsessing about passing the standard test; NPs are going to doctorate levels of education unimpeded and  have their next goal in sight - establishing   independent practice in state after state.

Allowing the NCCPA to dictate to our profession and influence insurance and practice decisions is self limiting and frankly old news.  PAs don't need to prove they can pass a test to demonstrate we are competent  professionals. Let the Medical boards, employers and the public  dictate as they do with our colleauges.   Sorry but I fail to see what why we need to get a diagnosis for anxiety to pass the NCCPA bar of test taking skills to be a Professional PA .  

Sorry I didn't go the with the NP when I could have been grandfathered. 

I just took the PANRE and passed, this is my second recertification. I went to a CME Resources review and it was boring and stale and I fell asleep more than a few times. You know what really helped me? This list:

http://medicine.creighton.edu/mmsa/Documents/keypoints.pdf

Print it out, read it a few times combined with whatever else you're doing to study. It really hits ALL the highlights.

I just took the PANRE and passed, this is my second recertification. I went to a CME Resources review and it was boring and stale and I fell asleep more than a few times. You know what really helped me? This list:

Print it out, read it a few times combined with whatever else you're doing to study. It really hits ALL the highlights.

Thanks for the tip and the resource! I take it next year. Was thinking about CME resource vs Joe Gilboy vs John Bielinski...

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

if you work in family medicine you can probably take the primary care exam cold and do fine honestly. you have 4 chances to pass the thing. just take it as early as possible and don't stress.

have taken/passed panre 3 times:

first time studied a lot for as month. required score 350, my score 650

second time studied a bit for a week. required score 380. my score 690

third time reviewed endocrine/hematology/oncology for a total of an hr the night before. required score 380. my score 640

passed all 3 by a wide margin and now don't have to take again until 2024.

if you work in family medicine you can probably take the primary care exam cold and do fine honestly. you have 4 chances to pass the thing. just take it as early as possible and don't stress.

have taken/passed panre 3 times:

first time studied a lot for as month. required score 350, my score 650

second time studied a bit for a week. required score 380. my score 690

third time reviewed endocrine/hematology/oncology for a total of an hr the night before. required score 380. my score 640

passed all 3 by a wide margin and now don't have to take again until 2024.

Thanks E. Yeah I thought of that too. A little scary trying to take it cold but I see what you mean.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

Here is one of the questions from the last time I took PANRE.  I hope I don't get in trouble for posting their quiz question.

"You are a PA about to take PANRE for the first time and are stressed beyond belief (though we at NCCPA aren't sure why, and frankly don't care).  Which of the following that you binge on the night before are most likely to cause you to die during the exam itself or shortly thereafter:

1) a half dozen Crispy Creme donuts so your otherwise normal blood sugar spikes beyond 1000 mg/dL

2) a half dozen hot dogs with onions and chili which will cause you to be unable to stay at the exam station long enough to complete the exam and then cause you to die of colon cancer 2 hours after completion from the processed meats while having an acute anxiety attack from knowing that you didn't complete the exam, even with the built-in breaks

3) you develop a "cold", make the mistake of seeing your provider and demanding a macrolide/FQ abx. of which you take multiple excessive doses because you have to be better for the exam and expire as the result of prolonged QT syndrome due to the interaction with your anti-depressant

4) a full gallon of Ben & Jerry's ice cream to the point that you develop an atherosclerosis of the LM coronary artery and go into cardiac arrest for which no one else will assist you because again, the clock is ticking and they can't afford to step away from their testing station to assist"

Paula:  As she is raising her hand and vigorously waving it in the air yelling"pick me! pick me!

GMOOTM: Pointing at Paula.  "What is the answer?'

#4, #4,#4, she shouts.  Then has a coronary and dies thinking, "darn, I'm not even a DNR, what's wrong with these people?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but just in case someone has the link I'd like to see it.  The link is broken.

Thanks

Susan

Archived