2015 CASPA Des Moines applicants

DMU does rolling admissions. Last year 4 of us that interviewed on the same day are in the class of 2017, so I don't think they base it on picking 2-3 per group. Im in the same class as Zach. Congrats to those of you that have been invited to interviews/accepted. DMU is a great school with a lot to offer! If you guys have any particular questions feel free to PM me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the advice! Knowing that the interview is fairly laid back is good news. My greatest obstacle is going to be overcoming my nerves.

cop to pa, I have already ordered two books for prep (hoping they arrive soon), and have quite a few notecards made so seems like I'm on the right track. I'm completely opposite of you (I have a pretty high gpa but subpar HCE hours), so I'll be working on ways to turn questions toward my academic and volunteer background. 

MaxPA17, I'm happy there isn't a set number of acceptances from each group so I won't be comparing myself to everyone. Thanks for offering advice, when I run into more questions I'll be sure to PM you. 

Yeahhh! Max! I totally forgot about this once I got in; figured we could help out prospectives with pointers?! I think I've heard that they have accepted 16 students so far. But, prospective students can still decline. I spoke with 2 other individuals in my interview group after I got in; they both also received acceptances but decided to pursue their PA education elsewhere. Cop to pa is definitely right, from my personal experience, the questions that tripped me up the most were in regards to my weaknesses (and a few weird questions from Augsburg's program in MN).

Yeahhh! Max! I totally forgot about this once I got in; figured we could help out prospectives with pointers?! I think I've heard that they have accepted 16 students so far. But, prospective students can still decline. I spoke with 2 other individuals in my interview group after I got in; they both also received acceptances but decided to pursue their PA education elsewhere. Cop to pa is definitely right, from my personal experience, the questions that tripped me up the most were in regards to my weaknesses (and a few weird questions from Augsburg's program in MN).

Did they tell you they accepted 16 people during your interview?

One more question.

I still have a few pre-requisites I would need to finish if I were to get accepted. I would rather take them all in the spring (if accepted).

However, I have found two classes that start at the end of October that I can still sign up for. Would it look better in the interview if I'm already enrolled in these classes?

Zach and Max, did you guys have any remaining pre-reqs when you were accepted?

One more question.

I still have a few pre-requisites I would need to finish if I were to get accepted. I would rather take them all in the spring (if accepted).

However, I have found two classes that start at the end of October that I can still sign up for. Would it look better in the interview if I'm already enrolled in these classes?

Zach and Max, did you guys have any remaining pre-reqs when you were accepted?

To be honest, I don't remember when exactly I finished my prereqs. I know I was taking an online developmental psych course at the time I interviewed (I'm pretty sure it was an accelerated course in the fall/winter). Since you already have an interview scheduled, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you complete the course before you matriculate, should you be accepted, you'll be fine. If you'd like a for sure answer, just ask them when you go there for interview day.

I received an email stating the program is on probation due to issues with 2nd year curriculum, the email stated the program would expand on this issue during the interview day. Can anyone give any insight on why DMU was specifically placed on probation?

I'm not sure what I can say on the topic, but we have indeed been place on accrediation-probation. DMU is still fully accrediated and as long as you matriculate into a fully accrediated program, you'll still be able to sit for your PANCE. So for the incoming class in June 2016, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Our program is reviewed in January to see if we changed the second year curriculum enough to be removed from probation. Essentially, our currciculum is stellar for the PAs it produces, but there is a need for improvement in the way the 2nd year outcomes are recorded (from my understanding). Our instructors and clinical year coordinators are confident that the probationary status will be removed in January; if not the program will retain the probationary status and be reviewed again in October or sometime late next year. I'm not an official at the school, just a student, so please do not quote me on this. If you have any questions the best option would be to email admissions and inquire with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I interviewed on Tuesday and I was very impressed with the facilities and friendliness of the faculty and current students. They were completely transparent about the probation status at the beginning of the day. They addressed the problems and the actions they were taking to fix the issues. 

As far as the interview portion, it was very relaxed. However, I think my nerves got the best of me. I didn't feel super confident afterwards and a few of the questions tripped me up. I'm a little bummed as this was my top choice, but I'm hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone else interviewing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived