2015 CASPA Des Moines applicants

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally from California, but have been in Maryland for the past several years (I bounce around a lot from my time in the military).

From the email, interviews are held on Tuesdays, from 8-1 and consist of two 20 minute interviews conducted by two faculty members.

I'll be flying in the day before and flying out that night (school's back in session). But, I'll offer up any insights on hotels/travel and tips to everyone once I get back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!  I am currently living in downtown Des Moines and applied at DMU (haven't heard back yet, but fingers are crossed).  If anyone needs a place to stay during interviews, I have a beautiful loft downtown and am happy to show you around the area.  No extra bedroom, but I have an air mattress. :)  I know the stress of having to pay for hotel rooms/plane tickets/etc. just for PA school interviews, so I figured I would happily help others out!

I can second Cfitzgerald. I'm currently a first year PA student. I live a block from school with 2 roomates that are also current PA students. If anyone is looking for a free place to stay during your interview just let me know. Also, if anyone has any question about the program or anything in general feel free to ask. I'll attempt to check this on a regular basis throughout the application process.

Cfitzgerald and Zachattack, that's very kind of you to offer. I'm sure a lot of people will be appreciative of a place to stay, I know I am. I just wish I hadn't already booked. However, as locals, I may pick your brains about places to live if I'm lucky enough to be accepted.

Zachattack, I'd love to hear your impression of the program so far. It sounds like a really great one, and I'm hoping that's so.

Hey ZachAttack1991!  Any chance I could pick your brain over coffee (or beer!) sometime?  I'm sure you're crazy busy, but if you ever get the chance it would be greatly appreciated.  This will be my second time applying to DMU and it is absolutely my top choice, so I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible.  Let me know! :)   -Callie-

• 2 weeks later...

I interviewed this past Tuesday, 9/15. Just wanted to toss my two cents in. Great facilities, the entire campus is dedicated to health professions, everything on campus is fairly contained in a few buildings (joined by tunnels for those brisk winter days) and looks really well thought out. The faculty, staff, and student ambassadors were all very friendly. The two interview sessions were relaxed, but well formatted. There was time for me to ask questions and they were answered well by faculty. They've been doing this for over 30 years, and have what looks to be a great curriculum.  All in all, it looks like a great school.

To applicants interviewing there in the future, relax. Best of luck to all, and I will hopefully update in the next two weeks with good news.

Congrats to you both for receiving interviews. It's fairly laid back and is a great opportunity for you to check out the program and facilities. Callienicole, the one pointer I have is this: you know your application's strengths (know how to sell them), and weaknesses (know how you've learned/grown from them).

There's a very good interview prep thread on this forum. I went to the library and checked out some medical school interview books for practice questions, roughed out (not memorize) answers to many of them.

My GPA is on the low side, so I spent hours thinking and practicing discussing that from every angle possible (why so low, what did I learn or improve from it, how to keep it from happening in PA school, etc.). My HCE is high, so I looked at ways to turn questions toward experience answers. And, practice. In front of the mirror with questions on flashcards in random order (I even put some Jeopardy question in there to try and throw myself off).

My school offers interview practice for job interviews. I didn't partake in that, but would recommend it. Just a few ideas.

Archived