Just FYI: 10 days to get my PANRE results

I'm not sure if my experience is particularly indicative of anything, and one data point is never a trend, but I took the PANRE on Friday July 17th, and got my email this morning with results. (well, the link to NCCPA where I found my results.)

Also, I did the 3-day CME Resources prep course, and I would recommend it. I took both half-size, 2-hour practice tests at home both nights. One was just fine, one was kind of shaky (I figured if I can pass while sleep-deprived and stressed out, taking a practice test 8-10pm on a Sunday night, I can pass under better conditions, and that turned out to be accurate). 

I remember someone saying that the score you get on the actual test is likely to be within about 15 points of the practice scores you get -- and that was the case with me. I was exactly 15 points higher on the actual PANRE than the average of my two practice tests.

If I had it to do over again, I would have scheduled my test sooner, so it wouldn't have been 5-6 weeks in between the prep course and the actual test.

Nonetheless: no tests for me until 2025, so I got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

I'm regaining cert after a long time away, active in medicine though so lots of prep time, Knew Davis, 1000's of questions there and with PALife etc. Took Exam yesterday and was in shock, total disbelief at all of it. I graduated first in my class, later doctoral degree yada yada..Left testing site, just flat out feeling I knew < 25% of those items. Mind you I am looking to get s faculty spot so a 3 month wait will be hard..did not have this Intel about shared experience. So as the day wore on, I did what any "have to be at the top" numbskull does and I began "MYLIST"-- of answers I knew were CORRECT. I figured that by at least coming up with a raw score, however small, I could see what the lowest one could score. If you are still reading this Apologize, Big time. The point is, MYLIST" is now 100 items deep.. That's after hours of recall / referencing topics to prompt my memory. As I began to find a dialogue from Utes like this, I realized I was not alone in feeling as if it was a FAIL. My hope is now that I at least will fall under that curve and move forward! P.S. Would never violate the exam terms and share MYLIST, not a chance!

Welcome back, then, Melon!

It's been my experience that the PANCE and PANRE are the kinds of tests that really don't reward the kind of studying that "high achievers" in school tend to have been good at. My thinking is that it's because taking a test on a week's worth of information all about the physiology of the kidney, or the efferent and afferent functions of cranial nerves, is a totally different ball game. You can study up and develop a decent working understanding of even a complex system, reinforce that with flash cards or practice questions, and hold it in your head for a week or so, with or without really "getting" it on a basic level, and do just great on a test on Friday.

The PANCE and PANRE, meanwhile, have questions that can appear to be ridiculous. They're layers and layers deep. The stem says something about a 19-year-old male athlete with shortness of breath and part of your brain jumps up to go "spontaneous pneumothorax!" and that's fine, in fact it will probably be one of the answer choices, just to catch the suckers. But keep reading and it might actually be asking you about genetics, or the ultrasound finding you'd find to confirm your suspected diagnosis, or the treatment you'd use if test result a comes out with result b. You really need to be able to think about a lot of this stuff from a 360-degree perspective.

Which is why I believe it when test-prep people say even the highest scorers on the test wind up with raw scores or percentages that appear to be stupidly low. 75%? Are you kidding me? Yeah, well, people pass this thing all the time with 65%, apparently.

It's also why I believe strongly you can't trust your own subjective ideas about "how it went." I scored way better than I thought I would, and my goal all along was to get (number needed to pass) + (about 10 questions), and not a single bit higher. I wanted to prepare just enough, get my passing score, and get on with my life. Mission accomplished, no ulcer created.

Haha, no, how do you think the questions get to be so evil? They have a whole army of clinicians helping to write and validate them. Now that I've passed it and it's a few weeks later, I can admit to having a lot of respect for the amount of stuff we need to know in order to understand a question, much less get it right. But yeah, it's not something you can really cram for in the few days leading up to it.

• 1 month later...

During the time I took the PANCE, if you did not take the test Mon-Thurs, you did not get your results until the following week. Does the day of the week the test is actually taken depend on the time frame your results are received for the PANRE (as it was for the PANCE)? I have to recert next year UUUUGGGHHHHH... 

Archived