Joining the air force reserve while in PA school?

Is it possible to do this? I was thinking about joining the reserve just to gain some more experience and skill and I was wondering if I can be in the reserve while in PA school. Have you done this or do you know anyone who has done this? Does it interfere with school? Is it difficult to do? I'm not married, have no kids. Thank you for your input!

I'm planning on doing the guard, it depends if you want to be a PA in the guard/reserve or are just joining with whatever job they need. They will pay you going to school if you join to be a medical officer and understand the time commitment during your school so most of the commitment starts once you graduate.

• 4 months later...

@bnooney

There should be a representative that the PA school you'll be attending might have for you to talk to. I'm looking into this option as well and will be going to South University this January. I believe they have someone come talk to the class about military options in the beginning.

I was active duty in the Army, so neither reserve nor Air Force; however, I'm very familiar with the reserve program and how it works, in addition to having several friends that are reserves.  I honestly wouldn't do it while in PA school, you have a lot on your plate already.  I'm not sure if they can guarantee anything in your contract that you won't be deployed until after graduation; however, if they can't, there's a chance you could be activated and deployed while in school, requiring you to drop out of your program.  Also, you'll be required to attend a drill 1 weekend a month which will take away studying time and you'll be required to stay somewhere for 2 weeks during the summer, which being away for 2 weeks could definitely impact your PA schedule.  That being said, you'd also have to attend boot camp, which is about 9 weeks that you'd be away from school.  Unless they have a specific option for current PA school students, I would not do it, too much risk and not really much, if any benefit, while still in school.  If you have ambitions of doing that, wait until you're PA-C.

Archived