What should I do to increase my chances? Any tips welcome!

So, I plan on applying to programs next cycle. Currently, I know my GPA isn't the greatest. I took a total of 190 units during my undergrad, and since then I've taken 23 more, and it hardly raised my GPA since it's so saturated with C's and B's. I know a lot of schools look at the upward trending grades, so I plan on having a great track record for my last units. Here are my stats in a nutshell:

Undergrad GPA :2.26

Since undergrad, I've taken the following courses:

Bio: A

Anatomy: A

Physiology: A

Micro: A

Human Bio: A

Developmental Psych: A

I plan on retaking the chem series, since I got a C in the classes. Plan on taking: medical terminology, maybe intro to biochem/ochem, maybe pharmacology. 

I think my GPA currently is aroud 2.5/2.6 ish, and I plan to get it to at least a 2.8.

I have been a CNA for the last 2 years, and plan on working through until I am accepted. I am going to Honduras to volunteer in 3 weeks, and plan on volunteering in a couple of primary care clinics. I'll shadow a few PA's in different settings as well.

I do not think the HCE and volunteer experience is that bad, I'm just afraid of my grades... I think if someone gave me an interview, they'd see how far I've come along my journey and have bettered myself.

So my question to you is:

What schools do you know that I can apply with these stats?

What do you recommend I do to make myself a better candidate?

What schools do you know focus more on an upward trend?

Any other tips would help a ton.

Thanks!

I think with anything it all depends on the school you apply to and the competition that you are up against. While the GPA is on the lower side, like medical schools, they look for trends and relevant courses. HCE has a major role too in making your application more desirable. Sometimes, even with C's, I've had advisers say don't retake those and continue to take other classes (genetics, parasitology, immunology, etc.). Make sure you get a decent GRE. From what I gathered, anything above 300 with a decent portfolio is usually sufficient. Keep taking the classes and raising the GPA. If you get to that 2.8 like you anticipate and have all the other stuff included, you still have a decent shot. It mostly depends on what your program's minimums will be when you apply and how strict they are about them. The one's I am looking at require at least a 3.0 undergrad, but some programs don't have a GPA listed at all. 

• 1 month later...

I'm obviously not an expert and am not on an admissions committee but I have recently been accepted so here is my experience.

There are some schools who take a "replacement GPA" which will either be from a prereq list, or the last 30-45 credits so that is an option for you. Thats the route I took as I was in a similar situation. Also look at newer programs as they will likely get less applicants than bigger more well-known programs. Its better to be up against 700 people then 2000. 

The absolute best advice I got was to apply early! I got my apps in at the end of May and as of today already had 4 interviews and have been accepted to one (with one rejection and waiting to hear from the others). I know other people who sent in their apps toward the end of summer and many schools they applied to had already filled their interview seats. And don't forget to do the supplementals. Some schools request them and some you have to just do on your own throughout the website.

Your HCE and volunteer experience look good so just rock out the GRE as that will be a boost!

Hope this helps :) good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My best advice is try to develop a relationship with a program. Everyone is concerned about stats and acceptance rates, but it is all about fit. And human conversations make fitting in somewhere a lot easier.That was the difference between the schools that denied me interviews and the singular one that offered me an opportunity to interview. At my current program I managed five minutes with the admissions director after an open house to sit down and chat. Its not the easiest thing to set up in this digital world, but it is still possible, especially with a smaller school. One more piece of advice, remember it only takes one school to accept you. I know its not the easiest thing to remember, especially when the denial letters start coming. But if you stay the course and allow the set backs to motivate you versus define you, you will make it, I promise. 

Newton, you are on the button with your comments:

A lot of organizations are so automated and students so conditioned to expect their applications to go through algorithmic sieves that they forget the value to making contact with an actual human being!

If your situation is non-traditional in ANY way, you will do better if you take the time to make a personal impression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If your situation is non-traditional in ANY way, you will do better if you take the time to make a personal impression.

I concur with Newton's & UGL's statements, but I would like to add first impression are lasting impressions. In other words, between NOW and the time you apply don't do anything I wouldn't do. What I mean is keep your online as well as offline profile squeaky clean. Get it, got it, Good!  

Newton, you are on the button with your comments:

A lot of organizations are so automated and students so conditioned to expect their applications to go through algorithmic sieves that they forget the value to making contact with an actual human being!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is more true than some realize. I know first hand some of the algorithmic sieves (designed and marketed them). Its ridiculous if you ask me. BUT, once you get through the initial filters and get an interview, it is really up to the impressions you make.

Archived