Loupes for CV

Looking for some insight on loupes to be used for CV surgery...1st assisting and also some EVH.  I know I won't need loupes for the EVH, but for the chest I would like to be able to see a better.  

What brand do you all prefer...Surgitel, Designs for Vision, Orascoptics?

What power....2.5, 3.5?

Pricing?  I know they are pricey and don't want all of my CME funds to buy them....may talk the group into buying them.

Thanks in advance!

The Dude

• 2 months later...

I didn't have a choice of company - and my jobs bought them for me:  Designs for vision, and I chose 2.5 as it is important as a CTS first assist to easily see the whole field (outside of what the surgeon's 3.5 is seeing) and I felt it was easier w/less mag.  All PAs I've worked with have had 2.5s.  Customer service from Designs for Vision has been difficult (good luck getting the rep to come back to reeveal loupes fit).  They are expensive, and I've been lucky to have had 2 pairs purchased for me.  The standard Buddy Holly frames were too heavy, dug painfully into my nose leaving marks that lasted for several hours post-surgery, and were giving me such headaches that I quit wearing them except for distal anastamoses.  One surgeon was so annoyed by this that he led the charge to get me newer lighter loupes.  (about the only good thing he ever did for me, though I think ultimately it was for him!)

• 5 weeks later...

The group uses Designs for Vision.  I went with the 2.5's, and they work well for what I do.  I wear them while doing EVH, just look over the magnification.  As soon as I get the vein out and branches tied, I move up to first assist.   I am mostly happy with the loupes.  My doc thinks I need the 3.5's for carotids etc... I agree with you Shuliet, I enjoy the "expanded view" with the 2.5's.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 2.5x loupes (Orasoptic) they were bought for me at my previous position. They're pretty expensive. Surgitel has a comparable brand that a number of colleagues have went with.

I disagree with the 3.5x for carotids, I worked for a Cardiothoracic and Vascular team switching between CT and vascular rooms and I felt the 2.5x worked well for me regardless of the case.

3.5 for carotids? A bit much!

I also use Designs for Vision 2.5, for many yrs. Works fine. If you're working on a thin walled distal that is <1.5 mm the 3.5s will help but 2.5s are a good all around mag.

The loupes are important for clipping/tying and identifying vein branches after your harvest, I wouldn't try that w/ naked eye.

Archived