Is there an NP to PA bridge program?

I also know someone who got both her NP and PA training at UCD, she can basically go anywhere because she has both. And she makes a boatload. Because she is an NP, she gets those perqs and yet she gets jobs because she is also a PA. So I'm jealous. Joelseff, do you work for Kaiser? The nursing union made it mandatory that Kaiser looks for, posts jobs for, and hires NPs preferentially over PAs. And when they can't find a qualified NP, then they reluctantly hire a PA that they work mercilessly because they don't want to pay NPs overtime, NPs get mandated breaks (PAs are bullied into NOT taking their breaks), and PAs can work several days in a row for only base/hourly pay. And yet Kaiser still treats PAs like dirt. While I am glad for the path that I chose (I honestly believe that if I were a nurse and then became an NP, I would have a different mindset and might have developed a need to constantly shout about how superior I was to any other medical practitioner, just saying, I see it a lot with NPs)- I am really tired of how PAs are treated like second class citizens in California's medical world. We don't seem to be able to beat 'em, so I"m thinking I might have to join 'em. Grrrrrrrr

They definitely have better politics. I still think our training is better but that's kind of pointless when they're kicking our @$$e$ in the political and public arena. We need to elevate our political presence ASAP and maybe a profession wide paradigm shift into recognizing we should (at some point) be able to be independent without having to go to med school. If NPs are independent with less hours of training (and before NP proponents jump in with the "they were RNs for years before" nonsense, I argue that now with direct entry NP programs, this is not really a valid argument as our "we were medics, RNs, RTs, etc before..." since we are taking bachelor degree holding scribes in to our programs. So that point is a push) we should be able to be independent as well. It's gotta start with our leadership though and we all know how that goes.

Edit: JF I don't work for KP. I work for a small 2 hospital system in the suburbs.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

• Upvote 1

I worked for kaiser for 13 years and remember those ads. they have always had them. I ended up head pa for our group for 2 years and fired a lot of NPs (and fewer pas) who couldn't pull their weight. one of the ones I fired from my dept for incompetence was PROMOTED to director of a different dept because of her status with the union...

I worked for kaiser for 13 years and remember those ads. they have always had them. I ended up head pa for our group for 2 years and fired a lot of NPs (and fewer pas) who couldn't pull their weight. one of the ones I fired from my dept for incompetence was PROMOTED to director of a different dept because of her status with the union...

When I worked for Kaiser, my manager was always a nurse. Not an NP, a nurse. It never made any sense to me. And NPs would get pay raises that the nursing union lobbied for, but the PAs didn't, since we were considered a part of TPMG. I have yet to see a PA in any kind of managerial position there, but there are lots of NPs holding those positions. 

CAdams, what's the significance of the date????? The zombie apocalypse?

When I worked for Kaiser, my manager was always a nurse. Not an NP, a nurse. It never made any sense to me. And NPs would get pay raises that the nursing union lobbied for, but the PAs didn't, since we were considered a part of TPMG. I have yet to see a PA in any kind of managerial position there, but there are lots of NPs holding those positions. 

the PAs joined the rn union where I work and got the raises...but not the other rn related perks...

My site managers are RNs (BSN), my clinic director is a RN (MSN) and the VP of ambulatory care is a RN (MSN). I think this is why the NPs have a leg up. In fairness though they give me A Lot of respect and the pay is a lot higher than what I got in the Oakland/SF area. So I'm not really complaining. The real problem is PA policy in California, the US for that matter, is sorely behind NP and we will be left behind.

Brilliant! A good start, but why didn't PAs get the same perqs?

because all of the officers of the union were nurses...if they needed a new dept manager or something they chose a nurse. my position as lead pa/np was not union related. I was chosen by the docs.

http://capitolweekly.net/nurse-practitioners-physicians-scope-practice/

@Joelseff: What does this mean? It sounds to me that California NPs do not have independent practice???????

Huh...interesting... I was going by what a NP I work with told me. I can't wait to show her this tomorrow. Lol. Bwahahahaha.

I suppose it was the bill went to the Senate in may.

But still, this Sen hernandez is trying to expand practice for medical professionals but left us out. Oh that's right our profession isn't looking for independence... ????

It may have been shot down for now but I bet when it comes back up it'll pass.

NPs are still light-years away from us policy wise.

A nice development. My manager (RN) is speaking to the upper ups to see if they can bring me up to the same payscale as the NPs. I didn't even ask her to but she stated that it wasn't fair. Also, if they approve it I get retro pay. Not getting my hopes up but hoping for the best. See not all Nurses are bad :P

• Upvote 4

Guest Paula

Joel,

Contact Senator Hernandez and ask him to put PAs into the bill.  State your case.  They could just slip a short sentence into the bill that says: whatever the NPs get so do the PAs.

Trot out the equity and restraint of trade ideology and that PAs will have to sue the state of California for discrimination against PAs. After all, aren't  we  a special class of medical professionals that are seen as second class citizens and not given our due respect? 

Californians will fall for it. 

Yes, I am serious. 

Joel,

Contact Senator Hernandez and ask him to put PAs into the bill.  State your case.  They could just slip a short sentence into the bill that says: whatever the NPs get so do the PAs.

Trot out the equity and restraint of trade ideology and that PAs will have to sue the state of California for discrimination against PAs. After all, aren't  we  a special class of medical professionals that are seen as second class citizens and not given our due respect? 

Yes, I am serious. 

brilliant! do it!

• Upvote 1

Joel,

Contact Senator Hernandez and ask him to put PAs into the bill. State your case. They could just slip a short sentence into the bill that says: whatever the NPs get so do the PAs.

Trot out the equity and restraint of trade ideology and that PAs will have to sue the state of California for discrimination against PAs. After all, aren't we a special class of medical professionals that are seen as second class citizens and not given our due respect?

Yes, I am serious.

Great idea! I'm off Monday, I'll work on a letter.

• Upvote 1

I didn't get a chance on Monday. Day off but kids are on summer vacay so I hung out with them all day. I also want to write CAPA about our inclusion in SB233. Since it was defeated by the B&P committee I'm sure they will try again next year giving us a chance to get in on it. Not gonna hold my breath though since I don't think CAPA supports independence. They haven't responded to my email about the white paper yet either. I'll keep trying and will write the senator myself. It would be nice if other California PA's do the same.

Guest Paula

I didn't get a chance on Monday. Day off but kids are on summer vacay so I hung out with them all day. I also want to write CAPA about our inclusion in SB233. Since it was defeated by the B&P committee I'm sure they will try again next year giving us a chance to get in on it. Not gonna hold my breath though since I don't think CAPA supports independence. They haven't responded to my email about the white paper yet either. I'll keep trying and will write the senator myself. It would be nice if other California PA's do the same.

Call Senator Hernandez office too and ask to be put in the bill.  It will cause a furor if he agrees.  You might need to find fellow PAs who are willing to meet with him and discuss.  A CAPA representative would help, too.  Or a former CAPA member if no one on CAPA board has the where-with-all to join you.  We are behind you Joel.  

If you need help with editing the letter I will proof it for you.  You can pm me with it. 

I'm willing to meet with him!!! Or sign a letter. I think CNA might try to fight it, so whatever support you need, I'm there!

Working on the letter tonight. I'll pm you when it's done so you can send one too. Or unless you have written one, pm it to me.

• Upvote 1