Musculoskeletal Ultrasound

Just wondering if this is a worthwhile skill to have in ortho? I've heard some say it is great, especially for difficult joint injections and that you generally get good reimbursement for it. Others don't think it is useful enough to warrant the time to use it. I am sure it comes down to patient volume and the pace of the practice. 

I think it is worth it.  If done right will improve accuracy which improves outcomes.  You actually prove needle placement.  It is faster and easier than fluoroscopy for hips and SIJs. Some don't think it is necessary, but I believe this will eventually become standard of care for peripheral injections.     

• 2 months later...

We use one daily in our clinic for knee joint injections and aspirations into the suprapatellar joint space. It provides excellent documentation plus recent studies support the fact that it is generally much more accurate. In addition we use it as a preliminary for assessing cuff tears and in the world of HMOs out here in California it can be that extra diagnostic tool to further support your request for an MRI. 

Archived