Personal Statement Rough Draft

Hi everyone! So I am getting ready to apply to PA school for the first time, and I would love some feedback on my personal narrative. This is my first draft, so I'm looking for any and all critiques. Thank you!

Choosing to become a Physician’s Assistant was a gradual process for me. As a nursing student, I have witnessed and participated in patient care in a variety of settings, from an outpatient Nurse Practitioner led health center to a pediatric hospital and a surgical step-down unit. Each of these experiences has been influential in my choice to pursue being a Physician’s Assistant.

The first time I saw a PA in action was during a field experience for nursing school. I spent the day in the operating room watching a total hip replacement. Prior to this experience, I had little knowledge about the role of a PA, and I was amazed by how much of the surgery he was able to perform. I watched the PA open and close the surgery, and assist with the joint replacement. During the day, I spoke with both the PA and the surgeon about their roles and their collaborative relationship. I learned that the PA saw patients throughout the entire surgical process, from pre-op consults to post-op follow-ups. It was during this field experience that I fell in love with being in the OR, and knew that I wanted to have a career in the surgical field.

One of my very first experiences with a patient was at the University of Delaware’s Nurse Managed Health Center (NMHC). The NMHC is partnered with an organization that allows them to treat patients with disparities such as those who are mentally ill or homeless, and I had the privilege of caring for some of these patients. One of my most memorable patients was six and a half feet tall, schizophrenic, and liked to fight. He was diabetic, and we were concerned that he might be having some renal issues because of some of the symptoms he displayed. However, he was very agitated at the thought of having blood taken to check his kidney function and refused to give consent. Working as a team with the Nurse Practitioner, I was able to explain the entire process for him in a way that he was able to understand, and after being talked through the process he gave consent to have his blood taken. This experience, and other encounters with underserved populations at the NMHC opened my eyes to the special needs of patients facing challenges such as mental illness and homelessness, and inspired me to work to reduce the disparities they experience.  

After these experiences with patient care, I knew that I wanted to be a mid-level provider, but I was torn between being a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician’s Assistant. This summer, I had the opportunity to work on a surgical step-down unit. On this unit, I have seen many different types of patients, from traumas to appendectomies. I have also encountered many different healthcare providers, and had the opportunity to observe them providing care to their patients. After watching Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Physician’s Assistants at work, and asking questions about their training and scope of practice, I realized that being a physician’s assistant is the clear route for me.

I am an avid student, and I am devoted to learning everything I can about the human body so that I can do all that is within my power to help people.  The scientific training that PAs receive would enable me to provide the best care possible. In addition, the symbiotic relationship between PAs and physicians would allow me to continue to expand my skills and abilities throughout my career. After learning about the training that Physician’s Assistants receive and seeing them at work collaborating with physicians, it is clear to me that becoming a PA is the best way to equip myself with the skills and knowledge necessary to provide the best care possible to my patients. 

Intro: boring, if you think about it almost every applicant is going to start with this... you want to grab the readers attention from the start! If I were you I would start describing the shadowing experience in detail, then go on to talk about how this was your first time seeing a PA and how this sparked your interest, you talked to ppl about it etc. 

Uncapitalize nurse practiioners, Physisican assistants, etc. 

erase the  comma after and in the last paragraph .

uncapitalize Physician Assistant.

You only have 3712 characters. I would definetly use more to add more about you. I feel like you tell alot more than show. What do you do? I cant tell very much about YOU besides that one story (which is great)

I would move up the last paragraph and make a new conclusion, you give me new information in your conclusion paragraph which should just be a summary.

Overall really good I love the story, you definetly explain why PA over anything else, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the profession for you. I do see the one experience about you but I would love to get to know you more in your essay! Use your extra characters

Best of luck to you!! I will post my second draft soon if you dont mind reading it!

Archived