Yes, I will help you with your personal statement

Im struggling with this essay.

Looking for some critique and recommendations (flow, content, etc)

I feel like I have two intro paragraphs and need to cut one?

Im a reapplicant and not sure how to shape my essay....talk about previous experiences or concentrate on the improvements ive made since first applying?

I feel like my conclusion doesnt fit either.

Help!

thanks

Intro paragraph #1

As I try to answer the proverbial, “Why do you want to be a Physician Assistant?” I find myself recalling on many very influential life experiences in order to truly convey my desire to pursue a career as a Physician Assistant (PA). Unfortunately, my response to this question comes without any dramatic “attention grabbing” situations.  I’m without those familiar stories, overly-saturated with descriptive narration and a manufactured feeling of urgency.  Nor do I have any life-changing experience as a child allowing me to proclaim “this is why I want to be a PA”… I could regale my audience in claiming that I’ve wanted to be a PA since I was eight years old.  But I have not faced any such moments.   My decision to practice medicine as a PA has evolved from thoughtful consideration of my personal desires, influential patient experiences, and career aspirations. 

Intro paragraph #2

The notion of pursuing further education never seemed realistic to me.  A household subject rarely was a topic of discussion. Neither of my parents attended college, and only my mother graduated from high school.  My disinterest in college is common among my three siblings, as I would be the first in my entire family if I chose to enroll.  Intending to follow in my father’s path, I had planned on working at the local metal finishing shop.  I could not shake the feeling that I was making a mistake.  Following a deep conversation about my future with my parents, I learned that I was not the only one believing that I was not living to my potential. Being able to help others has always been greatly satisfying.  The feeling of wanting to be a part of something bigger than myself, to make a difference in people’s lives is the reason I left my hometown and enrolled in college.

Fresh out of high school I viewed myself as any other typical college student. Looking back, it was apparent that I was still immature and lacked direction. I explored career fields that I thought interested me that eventually lead to me enrolling in a variety of courses and changing majors.  I did not achieve the grades I set for myself.  I found myself lacking focus and failing to apply myself.  Disheartened by the college scene and looking for guidance, I decided to take a break from my education. At the age of 18, I made the decision to enlist in the Air Force and was quickly off to Lackland Air Force Base for basic training.  My desire to seek a career in medicine as a Physician Assistant (PA) grew from the treatment I received from a PA during basic training.  This was the first time I had ever encountered a PA. After a thorough assessment, I was told my injury was diagnosed as achilles tendonosis, an overuse injury. He prescribed a walking boot and scheduled follow-up appointments. During each follow-up visit, I learned something new about the profession. Listening to different PAs perspective, I found myself truly interested and left with intrigue after each appointment.

After returning home from basic training, I was eager to continue with my efforts in learning all I could about having a career in medicine as a PA.  While working towards completing my Bachelor’s degree, I entered into healthcare as a Medical Assistant.  I found this job to be surprisingly rewarding. I saw how the care I provided impacted patients and how grateful they were. The relationships I developed and having the ability to be a positive factor in their lives brought me great joy.  Being able to participate in a patient’s recovery that is in part due to care and effort I have given always leaves me with great satisfaction.  

My first encounter with a PA occurred while working as a Medical Technician at an assisted-living retirement home.  Working with the PAs allowed me to appreciate the level of trust and communication that is given between the physician, PA, and healthcare staff.   Over time I was able to talk to the PAs on a more personal level.  I made it a point to ask them about their job. I learned about the PA education and what the profession has to offer.  In order to get the complete picture of what it means to be a PA, I spent time shadowing Mike Bush, PA-C.

After observing him in the clinical setting, I can appreciate the depth of medical knowledge and technical skills required to practice as a competent and thorough provider. I also had the opportunity to observe two umbilical and one inguinal hernia repair surgeries.  In these surgeries I was able to watch a PA in the First-Assist role. A delicate dance of non-verbal cues and anticipating the surgeons every move allowed for a smooth and efficient procedure.  The time I spent shadowing Mike has allowed me to better understand the complexities of an effective healthcare team.   

Feeling extremely confident about my desire to become a PA, backed by my healthcare experience and thorough knowledge of the PA profession, I was very excited about applying to Western Michigan University’s Physician Assistant program. When I was informed that I would not be admitted into the 2015 entering class, I was incredibly disappointed, devastated.  However, my dedication and perseverance did not waiver.   I contacted the program and received feedback on my application allowing me to take the necessary steps to improve my candidacy.

I realized that I needed to strengthen any weak areas on my academic transcripts. When I first attended college, I was young, immature and lacked focus.  Therefore I failed to achieve the academic excellence that I now know I am capable of.  After I improved my grades in select courses I continued on to complete courses recommended by WMU’s PA program.  These included Pharmacology, Nutrition, Neurosciences, and Human Cadaver Lab.  As a re-applicant, I aimed to remove any hesitation or doubt from the admissions committee when they evaluate my potential as a PA student.  Wanting to further strengthen my clinical skills and knowledge of medicine, I made the decision to complete a degree in Respiratory Therapy.

Enrolling in a Respiratory Care Program has proven to be most beneficial towards my goal of a career as a PA. Throughout this two-year program, I have improved upon my clinical skills and medical knowledge required to provide care at a professional level.  From this rigorous program, this allowed me to demonstrate my ability to excel didactically having graduated with a 3.96 program GPA.  In my current role as a Respiratory Therapist (RT) I work with PAs and other staff members within a healthcare team.  I continue to find great joy providing care as an essential team member, but find myself unsatisfied with the level of care that I can provide due to the skill and knowledge limitation as a RT.      

Each day that I go to work at Bronson hospital I’m reminded why I want to become a PA. I look forward to this medical-model based education and having physician collaboration as an integral member of a healthcare team.  I’m excited for the opportunities to utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills in challenging cases I’ve taken great lengths as a re-applicant to reflect my desire and commitment as seen by my continual improvements, both didactically and clinically.  

Guest chornbro

Hey Y'all! 

I would love to get some feedback from you guys! please as much as you can give!

I hold my shaking gloved hands together and anxiously wait with six other staff members. I hear a nurse call to the physician assistant and physician: “Full traumatic arrest two minutes out.” Hushed whispers around me tell me a semi truck flipped, partially ejecting the driver and he was on his way to this ER now. A million thoughts racing through my head: What if I faint… or cry... or both. Five minutes into my first EMT clinical I was about to find out if I was pursuing the right career.

Like a magnet, I was constantly drawn to the medical field and knew I would somehow be apart of it. When I was five I proudly said that I was going to be a radiologist because I was so fascinated by the X-ray imaging.  It was not until my junior year of high school that I heard about the PA profession while conversing with my counselor. Team collaboration, the flexibility of specialty changes, and the medical model that the PA education follows peaked my interest. I always viewed disease progression as a puzzle beckoning to be solved and PA seemed to embody everything I loved about medicine.

Soon after speaking with my counselor, I began volunteering weekly in the Women’s Unit at my local hospital. I assisted mothers post labor, tended to their babies, and assisted women who had hysterectomies. Here, I saw the wide spectrum of people cared for in this field.  Some patients on the happiest day of their lives welcoming a child to their family, while others recovering post cancer removal or grieving over the loss of a child. Being a positive presence in these patient’s lives motivated me to plunge into PA preparation headfirst.

I went on to pursue a degree in Human Biology at University of California, San Diego. Though my confidence wavered when my grades dipped, I reevaluated my study habits and work-life balance and was able to better manage time with ill family and still graduate a year early. While obtaining my degree I performed mitochondrial disease medical research and later earned a paid research intern position at Glendale Adventist Hospital that helped me hone my patient history-taking and interview skills.  I loved listening to the patient’s stories of trials and resilience and wanted to be more involved in their care rather than just recording it.

The search for a more direct role in patient care is what brought me to the EMT program.  Until that first EMT clinical, knowing if I was cut out to be a PA was an abstract thought. I felt confident in the knowledge aspect, but would I be able to handle the pressure of thinking on my feet? Understanding the molecular process of a heart attack and knowing what to do when someone presented with one are very different things.

The sound of the ambulance pulling into the bay snapped me back into the present. The doors fly open and one medic is doing CPR while the other is pushing the gurney. With one quick pull we transfer the patient to our gurney and I immediately take over CPR. I push hard and fast, feeling the recoil of the patients belly and think how the perfectly chiseled mannequins that I practiced on were a stark misrepresentation.  I see the pulse oximeter reading follow a perfect waveform that motivates me to keep going past my cramping muscles. Two chest tubes are placed and as air and blood are drained I feel the thump of his heart beating under my hands, faintly at first, but with increasing strength and resilience each second. Once the patient is rolled up to surgery, the PA gives me a slap on the back and says with a wink “ Have you done this before? I think she’s ready to take my job now, guys.”  I laughed, my hands still shaking from the adrenaline of feeling someone come back to life under my fingertips. I left that night with a huge smile on my face. The knowledge that I helped to save this man’s life and was apart of a team that makes a living serving others solidified my passion for this career.

Five minutes in to my first EMT clinical, I knew I was made to pursue Physician Assistant as my career.  Now with over two years of ER tech experience at both medical and trauma centers, I can say with conviction that I will do whatever it takes to be a PA within a collaborative medical team.

I would appreciate your criticism. I am also over the 5000 character limit. Maybe some suggestions on where I can shorten. Thank you!

“Code Blue! Code Blue in the emergency department,” blared through the hospital speakers. As I rushed to the room, my heart was racing. Through the doorway, I saw the nurse leaning over the patient performing chest compressions. I lined up behind her, along with two other clinical interns as we anxiously prepared to take turns performing CPR. We were all committed to doing our part to save the patient’s life. When my time came, I stepped up on the stool, quickly orienting myself to start compressions. After I completed two minutes of compressions, the physician shouted, “Everyone clear for shock,” and the defibrillator fired. Relief swept the room, the patient’s pulse returned to normal sinus rhythm. The patient was alive! It felt liberating to contribute to saving someone’s life, and awe-inspiring to see the seamless collaboration between the doctors, nurses, and technicians. Having the opportunity to take initiative and perform under pressure as a member of the care team made me thoroughly more motivated and enthusiastic to dive into healthcare and start my journey as a physician assistant (PA).

I began my studies in Biology at San Diego State University (SDSU), with the intent of becoming an optometrist. During my undergraduate years, I worked as an optician and was able to become deeply involved in the field of optometry, both in the business and clinical aspects. However, after graduating from SDSU, I realized I wanted to pursue a career that would allow me to expand my scope of practice as well as enable me to educate and heal patients of all needs.

The foundation for my decision to become a PA formed when I decided to make an enterprising career change from optician to medical assistant (MA). I interned as an MA at a pediatric clinic primarily serving low-income families. I have a strong passion for working with children, from my service as a youth leader at my church where I cherished seeing the children and teens grow up year by year. My interest in pediatrics evolved when I rotated in the labor and delivery unit as a clinical care extender (CCE). I was curious to see the development and care of a child after delivery. My time at the pediatric clinic, I saw how the physicians involved and educated the child’s family, which improved the effectiveness of preventing, treating, and rehabilitating their health conditions. I believe that this concept of family-centered care is very important especially for families who do not have regular access to medical care. As an MA I contributed to care coordination by measuring vitals, administering injections, and drawing blood. The physicians expanded my perspective by teaching me how to decide what tests and labs to obtain and to interpret blood results. The skills and knowledge I have attained from doing clinical tasks with deeper descriptions about my clinical contribution has made me confident about the work done in this setting and has made me passionate about pediatrics. I am eager to expand my role in healthcare and commitment to serving young people focused on family-centered care.

To further my understanding the role a PA, I began shadowed and was mentored by an experienced PA, Andrew Inocelda. I observed how he analyzes patients and tailors his communication in order to provide the best care to each patient. By doing this, he sets them at ease and gains their confidence. The model healthcare provider that I envision tends to both a patient’s emotional and physical needs - someone who I can visualize myself as because of my empathetic nature. Mr. Inocelda told me “a physician assistant should be known as a patient advocate.” This struck a chord with me because not only are PAs treating illnesses, they also partner with their patients and ensure that they understand their health condition. I was inspired by how Mr. Inocelda presented treatment plans, ensuring that his patients understood what was going to be done and empowered them to be invested in their own care. I have become inspired by care delivery that involves patients and their family members by observing Mr. Inocelda and working at the pediatric clinic, which has made me appreciate the key role of patient education. I want to incorporate this philosophy when I become a PA, to effectively educate and promote health among patients and the wider community.

My involvement in the community has motivated me to pursue a career committed to improving the lives of others. My passion for helping others was developed from my early involvement with the San Diego Vietnamese Eucharistic Youth Society. I volunteered at homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and nursing homes. Volunteering has imparted upon me compassion and a focus on the needs of others. At SDSU, I served as a leader of the Vietnamese Student Association to unite cultural participation, social awareness, and service. In this capacity, I was able to impact both the campus and San Diego communities by incorporating my interest in healthcare through coordinating health screenings, breast cancer awareness symposiums, and vision and dental care services.

Through my experiences, I have become committed to the PA profession, wherein, team-based family-centered care, education, and service contribute to the community. I look forward to having the opportunity to be able to develop trust and rapport with each patient and their family. I aim to combine my experience in community service and my interest in disease education to provide a more comprehensive, empowering outlook to a healthy lifestyle. I believe that my background, motivation, passion have prepared me to be a positive addition to the healthcare profession and to the community.

Guest chornbro

jtran468, 

I think this is a great foundation for your personal statement. I like the way you structured the piece alot. One thing that did catch my eye is in the beginning you talk about all the things a physician taught you in your second paragraph it doesnt distinguish to me why you would want to be a PA over a physician.  maybe put in a sentence about how that collaboration with the physician mirrored the PA-MD relationship or something and that the open line of communication was something that made  you want to pursue PA more.  Just my opinion :) overall a well crafted essay. keep up the good work and good luck with applications!

First of all, I would like to truly thank you! I used a lot of your advice and tips in writing up this first draft. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a glance at what I have for my narrative so far. Again, thank you!! :)

I grew up in my grandparents house in a small rural Minnesotan town. As a child, I would wander through the cornfields pretending I was on a trek through the jungle in search of some secret ancient relic. I would imagine then that I was hopelessly lost and feign I would never find my way back. Of course, I always found my way back to the house when it started to get dark. Grandmother would be finishing making dinner. My grandfather would be waiting patiently at the head of the table, tractor grease still on his hands. He would smile as I placed my treasures on the table, a handful of rocks. Finally, we all would sit, say grace and eat our meal together. That feeling of safety. That feeling of a quiet joy. That was home.

My immersion into medicine began when I applied and was accepted into a pre-medical preparatory internship early in college. I toured medical facilities, took mock exams, practiced patient care scenarios and shadowed physicians from the University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota among other amazing experiences. I was captivated. Having an ever inquiring mind and being a great problem solver, I found a new passion. I would spend much of my free time at college going through case studies and researching symptoms of diseases and ailments. It was during this time I diagnosed myself with a complex hormonal disorder, which was later confirmed through blood tests. This was one of the biggest changes in my life. I had been dealing with symptoms since I was very young.

Upon completion of my internship, I knew I wanted to go into the medical field, but I was still not totally taken with the role of a physician. I felt that I would best be suited as a supportive associate than the head of a clinic. As one would expect, I began looking into nursing and other allied careers, but none seem to be as fitting.

After graduating from college, I returned home to a full house and with a new perspective. I was stunned. Like many in rural communities, a great deal of my family I realized were uninsured or suffering from a chronic illness or both. And this was not unique to the area. I discovered that, through a combination of factors, health disparities in the rural population was very real. This led to my desire to go into primary care. Being able to provide continual care for an individual all through his or her life and helping to decrease the chronic disease burden through education, management and preventive measures would be a dream.

While helping my family I encountered the physician assistant career. I talked with healthcare professionals and read and researched. Finally, I was able to get the opportunity to shadow a PA. This experience solidified my aspiration in becoming a physician assistant. I was struck by how much time he would spend with each patient. He even drew out pictures and diagrams when patients did not to entirely grasp their situation. “Making sure they [the patient] understands is very important,” he said. I also appreciated the teamwork between him, the nurses and the supervising physician. They genuinely value each other's expertise and worked as a tight-knit and effective unit.  

What closed the book on my decision to become a PA in primary care that plans to serve the rural community is the flexible scope of practice a PA can give. As a physician assistant in primary care, I would be able to provide a wide range of care, which would be particularly valuable for this community. I am reminded of when my grandfather deeply cut himself while tilling the field. A PA could provide such services such as stitches as well as discuss with the patient about their high blood sugar reading.

A few things have changed since I’ve been back. My grandfather still gets up before dawn, but for breakfast now he only eats two eggs and two slices of bacon, skipping the toast due to the diabetes he was recently diagnosed with. My grandmother was found to have dementia. I listen tenderly to her tell me the exact same story from the newspaper more than five times as we drink coffee. Although I have been on my fair share of adventures, there is something about the country air that lures me back home. This time, I want to bring back more than just a handful of rocks. I want to help bring good health and peace to my family as well as the rest of members of any rural community. As a physician assistant I could do just that.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys! So I know this thread was started in 2015 but I would like some help on my very rough draft for my essay.I am a second time applicant and not sure who to include that into my essay. This is a brand new essay and I did not submit this one last time I applied. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!

Elizabeth, an aspiring Olympic gymnast, came to me with tears in her eyes after receiving the diagnosis of a tore rotator cuff. As a phlebotomist my job seemed so simple; stick, draw and process but a 14-year-old girl would prove to me that any job in the medical field is not just about the medicine.  As I was preparing my supplies, Elizabeth was curled up in the phlebotomy chair with her head in her lap. She looked up at me as tears continued to stream down her face; I kneeled down at eye level with her. I looked at Elizabeth and asked her if she was afraid of the needle; she shook her head yes.  I thought, “How can I draw on someone who is so afraid?” “ This should have been easy like all the other blood draws.” I thought, “how would I want someone to help me in the situation?” I began asking Elizabeth to tell me about her gymnastics; her eyes lite up and the more she talked the more relaxed she became. Her tears turned into smiles and she couldn’t contain her excitement for her dream of standing on the podium holding her gold medal like her ideal, Nastia Liukin. I began her blood draw; she didn’t even notice what I was doing. At the end of the session she looked up at me and said “that didn’t even hurt!” Those are the four greatest words a phlebotomist can hear.

My journey towards becoming a PA began long before I met Elizabeth. Five years ago, I was working full time as a film assistant and nights and weekends as a hockey referee with the short-term goal of paying off my undergraduate loans within a year. I successfully paid off my loans within 8 months. However, I was not happy with being a film assistant; it involved the same mundane tasks of data entry day in and day out. I was unfulfilled. I believe in the philosophy of “life is too short not to do what you love,” but I had let myself veer away from this viewpoint. I was now debt free and knew now was the opportunity to discover where the medical field could take me.

While researching possible career opportunities in the medical field, I discovered the profession of a physician assistant (PA). I had never heard of the term and out of curiosity began researching every aspect of the profession. The more I read, the more I knew this was the path I needed to take. I was interested in the PAs ability not only to make decisions autonomously but also to work collaboratively with other members of the healthcare team. Leadership and teamwork are major qualities required of a PA; I have the leadership skills capable of diagnosing and treating patients, yet the humility to follow directions of a supervising physician.

I devoted the next year and a half to completing pre-requisite courses, shadowing and volunteering, while working nights and weekends as a hockey referee. Before I could continue my journey, I needed to address my low GPA during my freshman and sophomore years. During this time, I had no sense of direction and lacked the maturity to take school seriously. Through dedication and growing maturity, I successfully raised my GPA to a competitive level.  While in school, I began shadowing a PA at an internal medicine clinic. I observed how well she interacted with patients and other colleagues, all for the purpose of patient care. Throughout my shadowing experience, the importance of leadership, teamwork and professionalism were reaffirmed as the cornerstones to success as a PA.

Unfortunately, the first year that I applied I did not receive an interview. I understood that at the time that I applied I did not have any patient experience. It has been two years since I applied and I have become a certified phlebotomist; the phlebotomy path actually lead me to working as a medical assistant in an orthopedic/pain management office. The opportunity of becoming a medical assistant has allowed me to shadow multiple physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners; it has given me a great sense of the roles and responsibilities of each profession.

The reason why I want to be a PA is to help with the increasing gap between the supply and demand for primary care physicians. There is an increasing shortage, and I believe that as a physician assistant, I can contribute to the correction of this issue. Primary care is important; having a good primary care physician will save lives because they provide preventive care and are able to catch medical issues before they become life threatening.

Throughout the last two and a half years, I have only become more driven to become a PA.  I reflect each day on what qualities are important in a PA: leadership, humility, compassion, communication and teamwork. I feel I have gained these qualities through my life and academic experiences-personal training, shadowing and dedication to higher education.  I understand medicine is difficult and patient care can be frustrating, but I look forward to the demands of a PA program. I am confident my passion for patient care, love for medicine and dedication will allow me to be successful in a PA program.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a first draft and just under the character limit.  Any and all advice/criticisms appreciated!

Mr. Jones’ call light was going off for the third time in less than an hour.  I stepped into his room to see how I could help him, even though I was already sure of the answer.  He wanted to speak with his physician assistant again, even though it was a simple question that his nurse or I could easily answer.  Instead of being annoyed, the PA calmly entered his room to once again answer his questions regarding his medications and treatments.  She even inserted the catheter Mr. Jones needed upon his request.  I admired the PA’s ability to remain patient with this gentleman as she expertly educated him on his illness and subsequent treatment.  Watching her work just confirmed my desire to fill that role and have that impact while doing more for my patients.

As a nursing assistant, I work within the hospital’s float pool so I travel to different departments, helping out wherever I am needed.  This position requires me to be very flexible as I learn my assignment shortly before my shift and must adapt to working in a different specialty with a different group of team members on a moment’s notice.  I have worked in emergency medicine, general medicine, pediatrics, cardiology, intensive care, neurology, and surgical care.  Working with different teams in varying specialties, I have learned multiple techniques for the same process, including handling confused dementia patients and how to handle post-op patients.  Being able to experience various specialties as a PA, I would be able to bring a similar breadth of knowledge to my treatment plans.

Although not under direct supervision, PAs work closely with their supervising physician to provide optimal care.  During my shadowing experience, I watched the PA consult with her supervising physician regarding the care of a declining patient.  Together, they were able to come up with the best course of treatment and determine the necessary follow up plan for the patient.  Working in different departments I have seen and appreciated the amount of teamwork that goes into a patient’s care.  Regardless of department, I typically work with 1 – 2 other nursing assistants and 1 – 5 nurses.  I depend on this team throughout my shift to provide the best care for my patients.  When caring for Ms. Smith, a patient whose blood glucose had dropped to 72 mg/dL, I was able to give her juice, then partner with the nurse to perform the appropriate follow up.  Although I am a self starter and am capable of working independently, I appreciate the support and new ideas that come out of a teamwork approach to healthcare.

Before becoming involved in patient care, I often went back and forth between becoming a teacher and having a career in healthcare.  As I grew up, I gravitated more towards healthcare, but upon learning about the PA profession, was excited at the prospect of being able to incorporate my desire to educate others into my profession in healthcare.  While shadowing a PA at her cardiac electrophysiology clinic, I witnessed her interrogate pacemakers, explain the results to the patient, and go over medications.  I appreciated her ability to take something as complicated as an EKG and pacemaker data and bring it to a level that was understandable to the patient.  She was able to expertly tailor her approach depending on the patient and their ability to comprehend the complex information.  As a nursing assistant, I often find myself answering patient’s questions with “I’ll ask your nurse,” simply because I do not have the necessary information or authority to answer the question.  As a PA, I will be able to diagnosis my patients and better answer their answer questions in order to educate them so that they may become their own biggest advocates.

While shadowing the same PA, her relationships with her patients resonated with me.  Her days consisted primarily of follow up appointments with patients, many of whom she sees only 1 or 2 times per year.  Each time we walked into a patient’s room, she was able to greet the patient by name and ask them about a personal aspect of their life.  Even though she only saw these patients once or twice a year, she was able to easily recall their previous encounters and catch up with them on a more personal level.  I often only work with my patients for a day or two, but with each patient I find something on which we can relate, even if it’s just a TV show or the weather.  We see these patients on some of their worst days; it’s the least I can do to put a smile on their face.

Prior to becoming a nursing assistant, I completed community service in a pediatric unit and volunteered as a hospital patient escort.  After both experiences, I had the desire to do more for this patients with whom I can into contact.  Each venture brought me closer to direct patient care and fulfilled this desire to do more.  Being a PA is the next step in my healthcare adventure.  Diagnosing, educating, and caring for patients as a PA is what I am meant to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for offering to review personal statements I really need some guidance.

It is amazing how ones senses can bring on a flood of memories. For me the smell of vomit, old trash and burnt metal along with the feeling of unbearable heat in a hot muggy abandoned home where all I can hear is the sound of my mother screaming “please be alive, please be alive” will always equate to the site of my baby brother lying in his own vomit and urine while appearing completely unresponsive. Being a medical assistant I immediately began checking his vitals, while he was unconscious he had a pulse albeit faint but still a pulse, his breathing was so shallow I could barely make it out. After reassuring my mother that he was alive I called 911 and began praying. The moments that passed from when I made the emergency call to when the paramedics arrived seemed like an eternity and the moments after would change my life forever.

Upon arriving at the hospital my mother and I were informed that my brother was overdosing from opiates and everything would be touch and go. Our wait for the Physician on duty to gives us news was unbearable but eventually we heard the best news in days since my brother had disappeared “he is stable”. What came as a surprise to me was that it was neither a MD nor a DO that had given us the news but a Physician Assistant. In my 8 years as medical assistant I had mainly worked with Physicians and was unaware that PA’s worked in so many different disciplines in medicine and it definitely began to peek my interest as this was the reason why I enjoyed being a medical assistant because I never felt restricted to one field. What really solidified my decision to become a PA was the knowledge that I obtained about them during my brother’s stay at the hospital, how they worked independently and had their own patient’s that they evaluated and treated. One experience that really impacted me was when the PA who gave us the good news in the Emergency Department visited my brother to see how he was doing and to wish him and us blessings on his recovery.

Following my brother’s release I found myself at my advisors office asking questions on what I needed to do to get the ball rolling to become a PA.  I wasn’t surprised when she relayed to me that it was going to be a long and difficult road due to my immaturity in the early years as an undergraduate student. I did not take my education seriously and my GPA suffered greatly. However I was determined to make my new dream a reality and immediately began taking the steps that I needed to.

Along with the information provided to me by my advisor I began researching the requirements to become a PA and started implementing each one, one step at a time. I immediately decided that the field I wanted to work in would be in Mental Illness because I wanted to work with people who suffered from all the effects of Drug Abuse. Considering the field I wanted to work in I chose Psychology as my major along with taking all the science requirements I would need. I knew that this meant it would take longer to graduate as oppose to focusing on one major such as Biology but I wanted to expand my knowledge in the field of Mental Illness. Most people don’t realize but drug addiction is not just a “lifestyle” or a “choice” it’s an actual illness and I wanted to learn as much as I could about it.  Already being a medical assistant at my current employment I requested to work with one of our PA’s to really experience first hand how they work. I always had a passion for medicine but watching our PA work was very inspiring because it became apparent she didn’t just take patient’s history and perform a physical exam but really took her time with each patient and was genuinely concerned with connecting with them and not just healing them from a physical perspective but emotionally and mentally as well. I also began feeding the homeless twice a week for two years because I knew that many ended up living on the streets due to some form of addiction.  Feeding the homeless, talking with them and hearing things such as “I wish I could stop and I know I’m going to die” really brought the epidemic that is drug addiction into perspective for me, and only affirmed my desire to become a PA.

I know first hand the struggles and pain that it is to be an addict not because I have ever been one but because I love one. I know the fear of hearing the phone ring and wonder if “it’s the one”, I know what it’s like to see the life of the one you love forever change and the frustration between being angry and wanting to give up on them but knowing you never could.  Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental deaths and is an absolute national epidemic. I want to make an impact in the world, help the voiceless, the ones who have lost hoped and feel there is no way out, along with their families and friends who are also impacted. I know that my life and my experiences have molded and guided me towards the desire to become a Physician Assistant so that I am able to make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not to late! I would be so grateful if you could read my PS. I'm a first time applicant and so nervous. Thanks! :)

Everyone always seems to have that “ah ha” moment, that one specific life altering experience that solidified their want to be a physician assistant, but for me, it’s different I’ve had half a lifetime of those moments.

It started freshman year of high school when my younger sister sliced her leg on a nail. It was a deep slice that had gone down to the muscle, blood was gushing everywhere and I was in awe; I just kept staring at it and poking around. At that point in my life I knew very little about the human body yet it was captivating. This was my first, relevant, interaction with the idea of working in the medical field. But it was only freshman year, there were years before a career would become a priority.

Before I knew it senior year and I was in a Health Careers dual enrollment program through my high school that allowed me to do rotations every other week at our local hospital with the purpose of helping me get a feel for different areas that the medical field had to offer. All though I saw so many amazing career opportunities it was my PA rotation that stood out the most to me. The way they built relationship with their patients, how confident they were in everything they did regardless of the area of the body they were focusing on, and the way they weren’t afraid to ask the physician for a consult. Everything they did seemed to come with such ease but also an immense amount of consideration and emotion.

After high school I became a CNA, jump-starting a career in the medical field with minimal education but still allowing my passions to shine. I continued my work as a Direct Care Worker all throughout my college career. 

With college came a lot of new experiences, one being a study abroad program to Belize that allowed me to experience health care from a foreign perspective. I remember the trip like it was yesterday but it was one specific day that stands out the most; it was 110 degrees, we were swamped with patients and I was working with four younger girls just doing simple routine vitals, when one of the girls became frantic. She didn’t understand what I was doing and didn’t want me to touch her or her friends. I began to listen to her concerns and handed her my stethoscope, holding the bell over my heart. The girl looked at me with concern at first but I could tell by the look on her face the moment she heard it. I explained to her how that was my heart and that if she would allow it I would like to hear hers. For the next hour that young girl stuck by my side and she was able to listen to the hearts of every patient I saw. To some, that day might have been no big deal but to me, it was everything. It set the foundation of wanting a career where I would be able to help people in more than one way. I wanted to diagnosis illness, but also express compassion and understanding, all the while building relationships and educating my patients.

I continued to expand my experience with medicine when I began an internship in cardiac rehab. The first half of it was spent building relationships with the patients while they worked out. I saw the same faces, every other day for 8 weeks and in that short amount of time I gained such insight. Not only was I learning about cardiac diseases, I was writing exercise prescriptions and educating my patients on the benefits of exercise, all while building those strong relationships that allowed them to open up to me and be more receptive to the things I was saying. Leaving that rotation was incredibly hard on both my patients and myself but my next rotation brought with it something I had yet to experience, surgery. Up to this point in my medical experience I had yet to see real surgery, I had worked on cadavers but that was nothing compared to this. From aortic valve repairs to coronary artery bypass grafts, pacemakers and stents, each one was more exhilarating than the next.

With so many great experiences that were different in a countless number of ways how could I choose just one area to specialize in? Then it hit me, these differences weren’t a bad thing, they were another thing. I know I have a love for medicine, that’s a fact, but choosing what specific area of medicine I love the most, that’s a lot harder to narrow down. By being a PA I would have the option of experiencing the diversity the world has to offer while offering myself back, being able to expand my knowledge and understanding of the body while always remembering that that “body” is a human who deserve compassion.

I put my all into everything I do and everything I have done has led me to this. This moment when I solidify all of my hard work and dedication for becoming a PA; working to gain patient care experience while also attending school full time, traveling abroad to experience medicine in a different light, retaking classes to better my understanding, spending my summers taking classes or applying myself in internships. All of it has helped prepare me for this precise moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you can say caring for others is in my blood. Over the past few years me and my family have been volunteering at the local children’s home serving them breakfast and providing them entertainment with songs once a month. Nothing beats the smile you can put on a child’s face that has next to nothing. The crazy part? It takes minimal effort on my part to make such a positive impact. But this isn’t where I first learned to care for others. Growing up, my mother spent all day in bed with a prescription drug addiction. Having no father present caused me to drop out of school, get my GED, and spend what would have been my late high school years taking my siblings to school seeing that they had a close to normal childhood. College was not the norm in my family, however, so it wasn’t until my early 20s that that would even become an option.

Unlike many, I don’t have a traumatic life event that drew me into wanting to become a physician assistant (PA). I did, however, create a relationship with my father for the first time at the age of 16. This, I believe, was the point in my life where I began to form a vision. A slight push from my father helped me develop responsibility, hold a job, and eventually pursue my first attempt at education since high school. After some research, I enrolled in a course to get my EMT-Basic certification. Although I can credit this course for getting me involved in healthcare, it left no job opportunities in the field for me and would not allow me to make a difference in someone’s life which luckily forced me to take another step. One day my mother approached me and informed me that the neighbor worked in the hospital lab. I knew nothing about her except her name, but decided to approach her and ask her about job opportunities to get my foot in healthcare, while trying to pursue what initially was a nursing degree. She knew nothing about me, so the best she could do was get me an interview which did end up landing me a job as a phlebotomist, ultimately sparking my decision of wanting to become a PA.

For the next 6 years I worked in the hospital lab as a phlebotomist and eventually lab assistant. During this time, I made the best and worst academic decisions. The best, was switching my degree to one that would better prepare me for PA school and continuing to expand my experience in healthcare. The worse, allowing my GPA to fall from a combination of working full time, running a photography business, planning a wedding, and a lack of effort in courses of less interest. In my mind, if the course didn’t apply to science, it wasn’t a priority. I soon realized that this distorted way of thinking could have costHey love me my potential career, and as a result knew I would need to continue strong from here on out.

For the first few years in the lab, I worked as a full time phlebotomist for inpatients, outpatients, and the emergency department. It was during this period of time where I learned to develop a huge craving for knowledge. I wanted to learn every test we performed, and I wanted to be able to teach patients what these tests were, to give them information on why they were being performed. The only problem? I was not their provider. I could only give them so much information. But what if I was their provider? This was the question that carved a clear path for me. I was eventually moved up to the role of lead phlebotomist where I would still help draw blood, but also coordinate all lab orders put in by providers for the entire hospital. I was then moved into the role of lab assistant where I worked in microbiology setting up various cultures and running molecular testing. A combination of fascination of my science courses, the diagnostic process, and caring for patients, only created a larger desire to want to become a PA.

The thought of becoming a physician did cross my mind, however, I was not prepared to start the process of med school at the age of 29, especially with a wife wanting to start a family. For the next few months I shadowed a PA at both urgent care and family medicine clinics and further developed an idea of the specialties I was interested in. Between the variety of cases and the relationships these PAs had with their patients, I loved the fact that in a few years I could be in this same position. I could not only treat these patients but teach them, earning their trust.

Although my imperfect upbringing resulted in a slow start, there is no doubt in my mind that through my experiences, the only option for me is being a PA. Healthcare will always exist and I want to always exist in it. Teaching, treating, and building relationships with patients so they can know me on a first name basis and leave me with all of the trust for their well-being.

The distinguished sound of his fragile ribs being chopped in two beneath the Y-shaped incision on the torso has yet to escape my cognizance. Standing outside the morgue suited from head to toe as an ingenuous college freshman, I am certainly unsure of what lays behind the cold steel door. Nonchalantly, Dr. Stacy opens the door and walks in ready to work. I skeptically follow with wide eyes. In front of me lays a 250-pound Caucasian male with prison tattoos inked erratically on his skin, excluding his missing right leg. The medical examiner and his assistant prepare the room and body for examination. Once the thoracic cavity is revealed, we immediately see it brimming with blood. With his undeniable expertise, the examiner suggests an aortic aneurism as the cause of death. The pathologist directs me through the thoracic cavity viewing my first human heart, flooded and lifeless. The surrealism utterly captivates my interest and is forever etched in my memory. After removing and dissecting the lungs, heart, and all of the digestive organs, the doctor warns me that the brain is next. I am given the option to cover my ears or look away as he forces a chisel between the lower half of the cranium and the brain tissue. The flawless, intricate human brain is exposed. At that very moment, I knew the immaculate human body deserved my complete and undivided attention in my future studies as a biology undergraduate and my underlying aspiration of the Physician Assistant (PA) profession.

In the subsequent four years of my studies in biological sciences from the cell and molecular level to epidemiology and everything in-between, my interest continued to drive me towards medicine. My tenure as an undergraduate has not satisfied my curiosity and I am eager to continue this pursuit of knowledge and apply this towards the greatest responsibility, patient care. I am passionate about utilizing my knowledge and making it applicable to the possibilities of surgery assistance and bedside procedures in life-saving situations.

My time as an Optometric Technician (OD Tech) has allowed me to experience significant gratification while working with patients. I have learned how to quickly observe every individual’s personality so I can level with him or her to make their experience as comfortable and pleasing as possible. From survey results, seeing that all my patients have been completely satisfied brings the most joy from my job. While working as an OD Tech, I am financially preparing for a medical volunteer journey to Costa Rica and Nicaragua this coming January. I am delighted and eager to offer my assistance to fellow humans with an open mind and heart towards global health care.

For years, I have envisioned myself behind the scenes brainstorming ideas and solutions with a medical team. This vision ends standing in front of a patient with a smile from cheek to cheek waiting for their release from the hospital, a scene I have witnessed many times while shadowing. While I am aware that not every patient exhibits this gratitude and situations are not always this characteristic, the satisfaction following these circumstances is pleasing and outweighs the negatives that are involved with the profession. A particular case I observed while shadowing increased my predilection to become a PA even further. A young female’s CT scan initially showed a cervical spinal tumor but appeared to be an infection in the post-contrast scan results. They said it was the most interesting case they have seen in over a year. This is where I observed a team of incredibly erudite medical professionals put their minds together to resolve a problem. I witnessed impactful patient interaction with the infectious diseases physician as she delivered uneasy news to the patient. The journey with the patient after delivering unfortunate news creates the opportunity to galvanize someone who has lost hope and change his or her life, which is nothing less than a privilege.

My family and peers describe me as observant and inquisitive allowing me to be attentive in all situations. The role as a PA is to be a fundamental piece to the overall picture. While having a physician to consult with during times of uncertainty, I can still care for my own patients allowing for more to be seen while alleviating stress on physicians. I have learned that this career has infinite opportunities to specialize in various areas of interest, which I believe allows for a more personalized and gratifying career while being in the field of medicine. My affinity for problem solving, ambition, upper GPA, and knowledge of the profession along with my ability to collaborate well with others as a team leads me to believe I am suited for the profession. There is no other career path I would choose, and I consider it a great honor and privilege to attend a PA program where I will acquire the skills needed to succeed in the profession.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you so much for offering your services to the community, you're a saint! Here is my first draft of my essay, please be as critical as you can.

When I think of Strawberry Splash Bubblicious Gum, I smile and reminisce - bursts of sweet yet tangy flavor, the smooth and silky texture, and the shapes and sounds I created by stiffening my lips and curling my tongue. It always felt like Christmas morning opening the small treat that my grandpa happily gifted to me when I saw him, and it is the sweet taste of strawberry that reminds me of genuine, winsome happiness. That sweet taste slowly faded however, when my grandpa grew older and weaker. Although he cared for me when I was young, our roles eventually reversed and in college I cared for him as his aid in In-Home Support Services. It was my active involvement as his aid that galvanized me to pursue a career as a Physician Assistant. 

As my grandpa’s aid, I was responsible for his meal preparation, personal care services, and transportation to medical appointments. It was at his medical visits that I witnessed the autonomy, intellect, and genuine passion of the PAs that were caring for him which drew me to the profession. I discovered that it was a PA that had diagnosed my grandpa with a rare skin condition called bullous pemphigoid, and that the PA was monitoring his condition monthly. It was also an internal medicine PA named Kevin who was monitoring his severe renal disease, diabetes, and history of heart attack. I recall one visit in particular, when my grandpa blissfully thanked Kevin for his ability to make him feel comfortable at these visits and for making his injections nearly painless. Kevin’s compassion and ability to qualify my grandpa’s discomfort solidified my admiration for Kevin and the PA profession. I also found out that PAs cared for my great aunt who had stomach cancer, my aunt who had breast cancer, and even me when I sprained my finger, which made me appreciate the important role of a PA. I feel it is my time to give back to the people who have given so much to me and my family and become a PA.

In my past, I have prepared myself for the vigorous schooling that PA school requires and I have developed many skills that a PA necessitates. As a certified pharmacy technician I learned different medications and their uses which will help immensely me as prescriber, and as a researcher I analyzed data and assisted with MRI brain scans. As an aid I learned responsibility and most importantly, patience. I also learned self-discipline and dedication from attending a university as a full time student while maintaining a competitive GPA, being an active member of university clubs and organizations, and working two part-time jobs. 

Working towards my future as a PA, I began to shadow Kevin at his clinic and I was amazed. He had nearly the same level of medical acumen as the doctor, and proved the importance of teamwork and communication in healthcare. I saw in myself many of the qualities he exuded; he was meticulous, passionate, patient, kind, and a team player. He also expressed that he originally specialized in surgery but has since changed specialties, which is another appealing aspect of PA. As an academic who strives to never stop learning, the ability to change specialties will allow me to continuously grow a provider. Although I learned to give vaccinations and run EKG’s through shadowing, I felt my learning began to plateau and I craved more hands-on experience, I thus became a medical assistant.

Fascinated by my grandpa’s bullous pemphigoid, I have worked as a dermatology MA for nearly two years, and my interest in the field has only blossomed as I acquire more knowledge and responsibility. I initially began with simple tasks but early on, my superiors recognized my abilities which has lead me to my current position as assisting manager and head medical assistant at my dermatology office.  As head medical assistant, I scribe, send prescriptions, prepare for and assist in surgery, independently provide wound care and wound checks, numb patients with local anesthetic, and more. I am constantly multitasking and have shown that I am capable of an extremely demanding schedule. The best part of being an MA for me, however, was the strong relationships I have made with the patients, particularly one named Ira. Ira shares a more severe case of the same rare condition my grandpa had, and often visits the clinic to monitor his medication and his strong history of skin cancer. One day, while he was being seen for a skin biopsy by the doctor and another medical assistant, I was pulled into the room and through the cold touch of his hand, he spoke the heartwarming words: “Sara can you please numb me? It doesn’t hurt when you do it.” Through his words, I was overwhelmed with intense happiness and gratification, and although my grandpa has passed, the sweet taste of strawberry splash had finally returned to me. It is rare for people to say that they genuinely know what they are put on earth to do, but I am confident and determined to become a physician assistant and I am more than ready for the challenge.

When used as a noun meaning someone who assists or helps another person, it is "aide," not "aid."

This is a pretty good essay. It shows that you were inspired to become a PA by PAs you interacted with. It could use more about why you want to become a PA in particular, rather than a different type of health professional.

Hopefully I'm not too late seems like you have a good grasp of the question could you guys please look over my rough draft?

Thank You

Please critique 

- am I answering the question?

- does this engage the reader?

- Iffy on the conclusion 

“Clear!” yelled the medical provider as the young woman laid lifelessly on the cold Emergency Department floor. My innocent face lit up as I saw how quickly she was brought back to life. Immediately, I was intrigued as a young child on this modern miracle and wanted to learn about healthcare. As I approached high school, I encountered a fork in the road. Instructed to choose a high school major I was overwhelmed and perplexed. Memories of the moment with the young woman lying on the cold ED floor reoccurred. From all my options I was enticed to choose Allied Health! Through my high school major I was able to gain experience with classes such as Anatomy & Physiology early on which propelled my interest even further into healthcare. Specifically, learning how to analyze and interrupt ECGs was personally eye opening. Being able to correlate a patient with an elevated or depressed ST segment to a heart attack was mind boggling. Utilizing this knowledge I was able to put pieces together from my young medical mystery. Discovering the young woman had a heart attack was a long awaited diagnoses! 

As I progressed through high school I gained a greater passion for health care. During 11th grade I was assigned to teach my fellow classmates on a particular health care occupation. Chosen for Physician Assistant I initially was confused and didn't know how they fit into the medical team. I began shadowing a PA early believing it would give me insight to teach the class. This was when I first encountered a PA. Enjoying the versatility that PA’s possess I was astonished, however, I was still hesitant in pursuing this career without considering other health care occupations. 

Just as I enrolled at UMBC, I took the initiative to volunteer at St. Agnes hospital hoping to broaden my knowledge of health care occupations. I Progressively went from floor to floor learning about various specialties such as orthopedics, oncology and the ED. Observing the dexterity needed to properly treat a dislocated shoulder to the delicacy necessary for an emergency intubation. Discovering I equally enjoy all disciplines of health care, I didn’t want to seclude myself to just one. This lead me to believe that becoming a physician was not my path. Being confined to one specialty would squander my curiosity of learning and challenging myself.

During my journey as an ED volunteer I approached a dead end. Realizing that I was only able to assist instead of practice medicine I knew I had to get hands on experience to understand the full aspect of heath care. As a volunteer I always interacted with EMTs. Noticing they had various patients from cardiac arrest, fractured femurs, to minuscule fevers. EMTs caught my attention! My ability to learn and challenge myself through various scenarios could be fulfilled. This was when I sought out to become an EMT.

Working as a first responder is exhilarating. Discovering new challenges were thrown upon me, I knew I had to adapt. These consisted of greater reasoning skills for an emergent anaphylactic situation, being an effective communicator to instruct my patients of a pre-hospital treatment for a hypoxic elder, and the capability of handling high stress in a multi vehicle MVC. Not exclusive to these examples, I gained many new traits to become a great medical provider. However, still I felt like something was missing.

Early one morning on my shift as an EMT the alarm rang, medic 355 respond to an unconscious cardiac arrest. We darted to the medic with lights and sirens to the scene. As a young EMT still nervous my hands shook as I put on gloves. We got to the scene as paramedics started injecting epinephrine while initiating CPR. Noticing my EMT partner exhausted from compressions. I was called for a switch. Everything I learned and practiced was put into reality! I got down and compressed the pale patient’s chest. I began singing "Stayin' Alive” to myself to keep me on pace. After about 5 minutes of CPR as a team. We were able to get a faint carotid pulse back.  

We rapidly transported  an unstable patient back to the ED where I once volunteered. Quickly greeted by an ED Physician Assistant who admitted the patient. I stood anxiously behind for assistance. Observing the PA stabilize the patient was mesmerizing. This was the same feeling I felt when I was younger. At this moment I knew that being an EMT was not enough and was just a stepping stone to pursue the PA profession. 

Devoting immense amount of time and energy into my decision to become a PA I discovered many things about myself. My curiosity of medicine and passion to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients continuously instead of through a pre-hospital setting. Having the desire to learn and challenge myself in a team as well as independently. Throughout my experiences as an EMT and volunteering in the hospital, I gained valuable attributes that would make me a passionate and exceptional PA.   

- Not really convincing about why you specifically want to be a PA. Why don't you become a paramedic instead? That would expand your scope. You spend too much time describing pretty standard clinical experiences. The fact that you did chest compressions on someone for 5 minutes and they came back to life does not give any insight on why you want to be a PA.

- Below average essay. Needs work.

- I apologize for being harsh.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really rough draft. I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks. 

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou. I don’t have a single, life changing moment that made me realize that I want to be a physician assistant. I do have many experiences that reveal the truth of Maya Angelou’s statement. Three of which are significant among the rest, and led me to pursue a career as a physician assistant: Traci, the PA I met while observing an ACL reconstruction Ron, a patient I had as a physical therapy aide, and Charlie, the boy I spine boarded for a cervical injury.

I was introduced to the career of a physician assistant during an opportunity as an athletic training student to observe an ACL and meniscus reconstruction. The clank of the surgical tools, smell of the sanitary operating room mixed with my breath under the facemask, and banter of the medical team as they worked hooked me immediately. After an incision of the patient’s uninjured left knee to retrieve the patellar tendon graft, Dr. Smith said, “Traci, harvest the graft. Don’t make it too thick. The edges need to be as smooth as possible.” Traci carefully and confidently harvested the ACL graft from the patellar tendon. She worked with great precision as she molded it with a small pair of scissors. Occasionally, Traci consulted with Dr. Smith to make sure the size and shape of the graft were correct. That moment, that was it for me. Before observing this surgery, I did not know much about Traci’s profession as a PA. I loved the independence she was given and the team based relationship between her and the physician.

I began to explore the career of a physician assistant, even though I was half way through my undergraduate athletic training program. The fact that PAs can specialize in many areas of medicine is appealing to me. Although I enjoy orthopedics, I am interested in other fields such as general surgery, pediatrics, and women’s health. (Need to expand on why I like this more than AT)

Ron is mentally handicapped and has severe loss of musculoskeletal motor control. He slowly scooted into the physical therapy clinic with his walker and two caretakers that Tuesday afternoon. He was wearing a bright red Red’s baseball t-shirt, a worn, blue baseball cap, athletic shorts, and black shoes, one of which had a heel lift. The crooked smile on his face, and childish banter with the therapist and me lit up the room.

It was my job as a physical therapy aide to assist patients with their exercises, educate on proper form, and apply modalities. Ron and I practiced activities I took for granted every day. Sitting in a chair from a standing position, and standing up again from a seated position, walking 10-15 feet with his walker, and standing without the walker. He would say over and over, “I did enough” when he was only half way through his repetitions. I could see the frustration in his big blue eyes; it was hard for Ron to stay focused. I promised Ron that if he did his absolute best and finished his exercises with me, we could watch baseball highlight reels during his rest periods. The sense of accomplishment Ron felt when he finished an exercise overwhelmed me with joy. I was proud of Ron for his diligence and hard work. Ron taught me the importance of listening, patience, compassion and understanding. Sincere connections with patients involve empathy and adjusting to individual patient needs. I will carry the lessons I learned from Ron into my career as a PA.

During the third week of July this past summer, the entire hockey camp staff was standing on the ice over my shoulder as I held fully padded, little Charlie’s neck in cervical spinal immobilization. “Laney, what do you want to do? Should we call 911? Is he going to be OK?” I had seconds to make a decision that could alter the rest of Charlie’s life. I learned how to deal with spinal injuries in school, but had never done it in practice. “Yes, call a squad and tell them we have a cervical spine injury. It’s okay Charlie; you’re going to be fine, just lay still. I’m going to tell you a funny story about my dog, Digby.” That was it. I was not positive that Charlie had a cervical spine injury, but I was confident in my evaluation that he needed further care. Charlie laughed as I told him about puppy Digby’s fear of the plastic spoon.

EMS and the other athletic trainer working hockey camp, Becca, showed up minutes later. When treating a possible spinal injury, the person immobilizing the neck takes the lead in the boarding process. This was my job in this situation. It is crucial to be able to lead and work with the medical team at hand to prevent further injury. “OK on 3 we are going to roll Charlie. Please slide the board under his back when we roll him. 1, 2, 3, roll. Great job. Those near Charlie’s legs can apply the securing straps while those of us near his upper body will apply the C-collar and chest straps. Excellent, thank you for your help.” I was extremely nervous during this entire experience, doubting myself every second, but it reassured me that I will succeed as a physician assistant. I overcame my nerves and used the knowledge in which I was confident would provide the best quality care for Charlie. As an athletic trainer, the nature of injury in sports has molded me into a quick thinker. I enjoy working with others to achieve the best possible outcome, which I believe will transition well into my career as a physician assistant.

I’ve had many experiences throughout my various healthcare jobs that led to my decision to become a PA. Traci, Ron, and little Charlie stand out among my experiences. The independence and teamwork Traci displayed in the operating room caught my eye for the PA profession. Ron taught me that having patience and empathy is crucial in gaining patient trust. Overcoming the doubts I had in myself and leading a situation I had never led before, taught me that I have a qualities to be a successful physician assistant. Becoming a physician’s assistant is more than having an interest in health and science, or having a career in the medical field; it’s the opportunity to put Maya Angelou’s wisdom into practice. Connect on a personal level, capitalizing on the relationship to provide truly patient-focused health care.

“Stacie, harvest the graft,” remarked Dr. Smith to the assisting physician assistant. “Don’t make it too thick. The edges need to be as smooth as possible.” Stacie carefully and confidently harvested the ACL graft. She worked with great precision as she molded it with a small pair of scissors. As she cut, Stacie consulted with Dr. Smith to make sure the size and shape of the graft were correct.

What I observed in the OR fascinated me.  Stacie, an integral part of the surgical team, possessed much more responsibility for the patient than I would ever be given as an athletic trainer. While she collaborated with Dr. Smith, she clearly also operated in an independent fashion reflective of supreme self-confidence. Although only a year away from earning my degree as an AT, I began to feel a small but gnawing sense of dissatisfaction with the limits of my career choice. Watching Stacie in action that day helped me identify that feeling. I wanted a healthcare career with that type of responsibility and challenge.  

Another event affirming my decision to become a PA resulted from my interaction with Charlie, an 8-year-old summer hockey camp participant. This emergency situation fully tested my ability to put my skills into practice.

The entire hockey camp staff stood on the ice looking over my shoulder as I held little Charlie’s neck in cervical spinal immobilization. Tears streamed from his teammates’ eyes and distraught coaches pressured me to act. “Laney, what do you want to do? Should we call 911? Is he going to be OK?” Amidst the chaos, I knew that paralysis could result if I reacted incorrectly. As an athletic trainer, the nature of injury in sports helped mold me into a quick thinker.  Although I learned how to deal with spinal injuries in school, this represented my first evaluation and treatment of a spinal injury in practice.

With adrenaline pumping, I managed to respond calmly, “Yes, call a squad and tell them we have a cervical spine injury.” Charlie’s body trembled with fear; I needed to keep him stationary, “Charlie, you’re going to be fine, just lay still.” Wanting to comfort him and to assuage his fear, I told him a funny story about my dog. Although not positive that Charlie suffered from a cervical spine injury, I felt very confident in my evaluation that he needed further care. As I told him about puppy Digby’s fear of the plastic spoon, the distraction calmed him until EMS could get there. I then took the lead in the boarding process, coordinating the medical team to prevent further injury. We boarded Charlie successfully, and EMS took him to the hospital for a detailed examination.

Although extremely nervous during this entire experience, I learned to trust myself and my training. I overcame my nerves and used my knowledge, confident I would provide the best quality care for Charlie. I relied on my training to assess the situation and to make a quick decision, remained calm under pressure, worked effectively with other healthcare members, took the lead to prevent further injury and provided comfort to a scared little boy.

The many experiences throughout my various healthcare jobs led to my decision to pursue a career as a PA. The events surrounding Stacie and Charlie stood out among my experiences. The increased responsibility over that of an AT as well as the skills and teamwork Stacie displayed in the operating room, revealed the aspects of the PA profession that appeal to me. Overcoming the doubts I had in myself and playing an autonomous role in a coordinated care effort with Charlie, confirmed that I possess the qualities necessary to become a physician assistant. Becoming a PA will fulfill my desire to connect on a personal level, capitalizing on team-based efforts to provide truly patient-focused health care.

• 2 months later...

I think the content is good but want to take it to that "next level"

“I got you man, hang tight! They’re just around the corner,” I lied. The moped lay several meters from the pair of us while a friend called 911. I had basic First-Aid knowledge so my first thought was to “stabilize the head” but The Red Cross training did not prepare me for this. The blood sank between my fingers, carrying bits of solid brain matter that stuck to the hair on the back of my hand. His body convulsed with random hand jerks and his crossed-eyes looked through mine. My face was solid. I knew I would be the last person this old man will ever see; I couldn’t show him the terror that I felt. As he drifted away in my hands the ambulance arrived. One got out and told me “It’s okay man, you did everything you could’ve done.” In my head I thought, “Did I?”

As a young adult midway through my college career, I felt the angst of not knowing my destiny commonly shared amongst my peers. Having someone die in my hands put my life into perspective as this was my first connection with a patient, and something told me it would not be my last.

PA shadowing in the Emergency Room opened a new door for me. As rapid as the physicians, my PA met patient after patient; suturing ripped stitches, directing nurses and attendees through an acute cardiac arrest, resetting ulnar fractures and making their own diagnoses, all at the hands of a PA.

When formulating a detailed plan with their doctor, the PA shows confidence in their ability to understand their patients to make sure the treatment plan is in their best interests. While speaking to the patients and their families the PA never spoke down to them, rather they talked slowly and provided their professional opinion with certainty.

Given the differential between the number of years one trains to become a doctor versus training as a PA, I was initially worried that fewer years of training might make me feel less confident in my decision-making. In other words, my concern was feeling I would not have enough medical knowledge.  And to some extent that may be true, but having spent a considerable amount of time working in an emergency room setting, I can now see that the PA is adaptable and collected in every case. One minute the PA was resetting an infant’s shoulder back into place with little time in between from incising a perianal cyst.

I began working as a Medical Scribe in the Emergency Room. Not only did working alongside a physician day and night broaden my medical knowledge, I was first-hand witness to the extent the physician depends on the PA. They may see different patients, sometimes the same ones, but there is trust instilled on the PA from the physician to work independently but through team practice.

Teaching and learning has always had a place in my heart. Experience as a summer camp Director and substitute teacher showed the parallels it has to being a PA. It’s their responsibility to teach their patients about healthy practice and treatment plans while speaking to the level of the patient. 

“We are a leader amongst leaders,” one PA told me. Throughout my education I could have been consumed by college’s temptations, but my mind was focused. I could have been a follower, but I was different. Empowered with compassion to help others the Army ROTC program taught me to solve problems, certifying as an EMT taught me to trust my skills, and shadowing PAs on weekends taught me teamwork and compassion. Striving to set myself apart from others required a lot of self-confidence, and as a PA I’m going to need it the next time somebody tells me, “It’s okay, you did everything you could’ve done.” I’ll be able to say, “I did.”

• 1 month later...

Archived