Recently accepted a per diem position in Northeast area and was provided an application for "Allied Health" credentialing. There is a requirement for a $250 fee; I will speak to the department to see if this can be waived or negotiated.

I have had more than a dozen jobs (in medicine and non-medical and never had to pay a fee to work anywhere (other than Union). Did a quick search of this forum did not see any previous posts regarding this.

Comments appreciated.

Many hospitals have Medical Staff fees. You need to ask what privileges you get from joining the medical staff and paying the fees. At our hospital, PAs and other mid levels are listed as Allied Health but only mid levels are part of the Medical Staff. Access to parking and a few other amenities are included. The physicians do pay this, but our mid levels are not required to pay. I do agree with the above poster that "allied health" is an antiquated term for PAs and does underestimate what we provide for our respective organizations. I pick my battles and will not fight this where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going through credentialing at the minute.  There is a $250 fee that is required by the hospital that I will be working in.  I have to pay it up front and the group I am working with will reimburse it back to me.  I don't mind because the hospital treats all of its providers pretty well and that is where the money goes.  I did a few of my clinical rotations there.

I paid an initial credentialing fee when I first started. I dont view it as a fee "to work there", its more-so a fee to cover the credentialing process which usually involves criminal background checks, verifying your degrees, checking with references, etc. Its usually is a bit more involved than the process to work at an out-patient clinic, hospital systems usually have a long drawn out process that often takes 2-3 months to credential medical staff (PAs/MDs/NPs). It took me about 2 months from start to finish.

Thanks for the replies.

After inquiring about this rather unusual fee (in my experience and from what I have heard in the NE), that it did not have to be submitted with my credentialing packet at this time (waiting to here back from a supervisor).

My personal opinion is that such fees set up a bad precedent...will they next charge for the drug screening, for an ID badge, etc.? Preferably, facilities should be giving us signing bonuses instead of charging us fees to facilitate employment at their site. I don't believe they should be passing along their costs of business to new employees... it does not make a good impression.

Guest Paula

We have medical staff dues that are waived...only $25 a year last time I got a letter. No credentialing fees were charged to me with this positon. 

My hospital calls us Allied Health but says we are medical staff. 

I tried talking to a few people about the term Allied Health, gave the higher ups the information on the term and the references.

It went nowhere.  I haven't been here long enough to fight the battle.  Since I started the merger with a much larger organization has pretty much been finalized so the higher ups are even higher up and I do not know who they are or where they are.  In another state I believe. 

Archived