Personal Statement rough-ish draft

Here it is, any feedback is good feedback.

Halfway through a 24 hour shift on a emergency response unit my radio screeches with a tone-out from the county dispatch, “Medic two we need you en route to a city bus parked on 6327 Stewart road for an unconscious woman with agonal respirations inside.” Suspecting this might be a full code, I begin to mentally run through my actions and responsibilities as an EMT. I also confer with Jay, a paramedic and new partner, to see what his preferred approach is. Arriving to the scene we find the fire department already on scene and removing the patient from the bus. After quickly securing the patient in our unit I assess the patient and find no pulse or sign of respiration. Communicating this to my partner we immediately begin code protocol. While Jay works on intraosseous access, a firefighter and myself begin CPR, intubation preparation, and shock-pad placement. Jay intubates, and the patient begins to regurgitate stomach contents. Fearing aspiration, I quickly and concisely guide the inexperienced firefighter through proper suctioning of the intubated airway while I maintain chest compressions. Two shocks and five cycles of CPR later our teamwork pays off, the patient regains spontaneous circulation.

This particular call happened last fall, one year into my job as an EMT. Experience with three previous codes, and every emergency call in between, has taught me that each paramedic can bring something unique to the table; a new technique or personal approach to improve patient care that I too can add to my toolbox. Keeping this in mind, Jay and I discussed the call after it’s completion. While we were pleased with the result and each other’s performance, we still discussed contingent scenarios and what each other’s responsibilities would be. Inviting this open discussion and constructive criticism from Jay and each partner before and since has been invaluable in my progression as an EMT.

While working as an EMT I have certainly improved my ability to assess and provide treatment to patients; but it is a knack of self-possession that I feel is among my strong suits. It proves beneficial to my performance and those I am working with as well. In working the mentioned code, had I attempted to guide the firefighter through setting up and suctioning the intubated patient with a frantic and unnerving inflection, his response might have been different or prolonged. Just as an EMT, emergency room PAs are faced with time critical situations wherein maintaining self-possession can be vital.

Although being an EMT and working alongside paramedics like Jay has been immensely fulfilling, I have maintained a desire for a more diverse and involved role in health care. A role involving the traits I enjoy as an EMT -- patient care, collaboration, and leadership -- with the responsibility and challenge of diagnosing and definitively treating patients. During my education and while working as an EMT, I have learned that an emergency medicine PA defines this role. While shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and dermatologist it became clear I wanted more patient interaction but still remain a practitioner. And from my education in biology I learned that the evidence-based approach of the medical school model suits my qualities and desires much better than the nursing school model.

Shadowing a PA confirmed my pursuit of becoming one. Lisa, a PA at a local walk-in clinic, showed me what it means to be a PA, and that it’s qualities are in tune with what I seek. I observed many situations showcasing this. One of which involved Jose, a young man complaining of straining his back while working on a construction site. After physically assessing Jose and noting his signs and symptoms, Lisa ordered an X-ray. Standing behind her as she interpreted the X-ray she told me told me she feels confident about her diagnosis but wants a second opinion. She then asked the supervising physician to take a look. After discussing their individual interpretations of the X-ray, and Lisa informing the physician of her physical assessment findings, they both came to the conclusion that Jose had Spondylolysis. Lisa and the supervising physician collaborated often like this, whether her patient or his. These interactions highlight interpersonal communication skills necessary between not only the PA and patient, but PA and other providers. Thriving in, and enjoying a similar collaborative effort between EMTs and paramedics, I look to continue working in a team oriented environment as a PA.

Over the past two years my experiences working as an EMT, alongside paramedics like Jay and other healthcare providers, has culminated to this point. Wherein my qualities as a health care provider and what I aspire to do are completely in sync with the PA profession. With an academic track record that speaks on behalf of my dedication and discipline to school, I believe without doubt I am ready for the rigors of PA school. I hope I will be given the chance to show you the qualities I possess to make a good PA, just as I was able to show Jay the qualities of a good EMT.

You say in your final paragraph that you have no doubt you're ready for the rigors of PA school, but you don't provide any evidence to me, other than your "word," that you can handle a difficult course load or that you'll succeed academically, which is what the reader is looking for in an applicant.  

Paproof,

Thank you for your feedback. With that sentence I was hoping to convey that a nod to my strong transcipt would show the reader my academic capabilities, as opposed to just saying I am academically strong. I will re-work that last bit.

Much appreciated,

- texasguy

Paproof,

Thank you for your feedback. With that sentence I was hoping to convey that a nod to my strong transcipt would show the reader my academic capabilities, as opposed to just saying I am academically strong. I will re-work that last bit.

Much appreciated,

- texasguy

Hmm. I would have to say I respectfully disagree with paproof. I understood that what you provided beyond your word was your "academic track record." I understood that you didn't need to literally list out your GPA or science coursework to prove it, as they already have the information on hand.

I think your ending was excellent. 

texasguy,

Thanks for posting, you've set the bar high! I am applying this cycle as well. You have a very nice narrative and it flows near-perfectly. I don't think any non-fiction essay is going to have perfect flow, so that is meant as a high complement. The only criticism that I would bring up pertains to the language at the end, specifically:

"I believe without doubt I am ready for the rigors of PA school. I hope I will be given the chance to show you the qualities I possess to make a good PA, just as I was able to show Jay the qualities of a good EMT."

It conveys your confidence and stands as evidence that you will meet expectations as a PA, but it also slightly confuses the relationship you built in your narrative with Jay. Was Jay a mentor or a peer? That is a question I have at the end of the essay that I don't remember asking at any point prior. 

Out of curiosity, do you work as an EMT-B or EMT-A?

Archived