Clinical rotation before a residency

Hey all,

I am a current PA student and was considering doing one of my elective rotations (emergency med) at a site that also offers a residency program that I am interested in. I think that it would be a great chance to kind of see aspects of the residency first-hand. Also, if I did well enough and secured a recommendation letter from my preceptor then maybe that would carry a lot of weight when I actually apply for the residency. Does this seem like a wise decision, or will I come off as someone who is trying to sneak in the back door to a residency?

On another note, even if I do not attempt to do a rotation at a site with a residency, I would still like to do an EM rotation away from my school. Who at the facility would I contact to set this up - a specific provider, human resources, the ER department manager?

Any information regarding these topics is greatly appreciated.

Like Oneal said, med students do this all the time in their required rotations and via their "away" rotations. Seems like a good idea if you are interested in a particular residency. If anything, you will come away with a good idea of what you want to get into and what is required during a residency. 

• 1 month later...

Archived