12 Weeks Maternity Leave/FMLA

*sigh* This is what drives PAs out of surgery.

I'm not trying to be rude but is it possible for your surgeon to continue to practice at current workload without you there? If not, then I would be frustrated too. He/she should also realize that you are entitled to your 12 weeks and should plan accordingly.

Medicine. Surgery. It's a tough business. It's 24/7/365 and surgeons especially live and love what they do and sometimes they don't understand why someone would want to take a break and spend time with a child for 12 weeks. Just because they wouldn't do it-- doesn't mean you can't do it. Just be prepared for a possible strain on the practice and the relationship.

He's gonna have to hire locums for the 12 wk you're out. Maybe you're worth it to him. Maybe you're not. A 2-person practice is impossible to sustain without half the carrying capacity for 3 months.

Now I've worked in a number of different settings and while I have seen women take 12 wk, it is very, very rare. For professional women it is even more rare. Much more common is 6 wk, sometimes as few as 2, sometimes as many as 8, but almost never 12, and in each of those scenarios other people had to pitch in to cover.

Is it right? I don't know. One of many reasons I never had children is I just didn't know how I could fit them in and be the best at my work I could be. A personal decision, yes, and obviously one that clouds my view.

I suggest a frank heart to heart with your surgeon to see how you can work this out best for all involved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

you want to really think about this.

There is nothing more important than your baby. Nothing.

If you are currently working in a surgical practice where it's just the 2 of you, you're probably working 50-60 hour weeks and are on call. That will not be sustainable after a baby.

You should have a frank discussion with your surgeon about how you see things going and whether you want to continue the relationship.

I took 18 weeks off with last baby and the practice survived. They weren't happy, but it made a world of difference to me.

I work in a surgical subspecialty and will be taking 12 weeks off after baby is born. It is just me and the surgeon in the office/practice. I can tell he is unhappy about my decision to take 12 weeks off. How have others dealt with this?

Well no sh!t he's unhappy. You are creating a 12-week provider void for him, forcing him to hire an expensive locum since he cant legally fire you for maternity leave.

You do have to do what's best for your child, but also think about this from a practice owner's perspective: They HAVE to give you maternity leave, and get zero compensation or benefit from it. In fact, it costs them more money to fill your void than to just pay you as an employee.

I've had more than one physician tell me, in private, that if it were up to them they would not hire female providers. It has nothing to do with their abilities, it's a business issue. Females of childbearing age always carry the risk of maternity leave AND are significantly more likely to either return on a part-time basis or not return at all.

At my last job there were 3 women who got pregnant in a year's time. They all took 12 weeks or longer. One was a provider (my counterpart), and it SUCKED for the rest of us while she was gone because why would management pay for a locum when we could just pick up the slack?? 

So yes, pregnancy is a part of life but look at it from everyone else's perspective. You are either overloading your colleague's schedule or costing the practice money. 

He's gonna have to hire locums for the 12 wk you're out. Maybe you're worth it to him. Maybe you're not. A 2-person practice is impossible to sustain without half the carrying capacity for 3 months.

Now I've worked in a number of different settings and while I have seen women take 12 wk, it is very, very rare. For professional women it is even more rare. Much more common is 6 wk, sometimes as few as 2, sometimes as many as 8, but almost never 12, and in each of those scenarios other people had to pitch in to cover.

Is it right? I don't know. One of many reasons I never had children is I just didn't know how I could fit them in and be the best at my work I could be. A personal decision, yes, and obviously one that clouds my view.

I suggest a frank heart to heart with your surgeon to see how you can work this out best for all involved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Is this in a small practice like the one described above, or a larger group?  Because at my old job, women were the predominant sex among the PA's and there was never a time during my employment when someone wasn't pregnant or out on maternity- and they always took the full 12 weeks.

I am employed by a hospital system so my absense does not affect the salary/overhead of the surgeon I work with. His RVU's may be down while I am gone as I am not there to schedule patients for surgeries, etc. I definitely understand the strain and added workload he will have to take on during my absence but this is one of the great reasons why I chose the PA profession rather than MD......ability to be a mom and not have a practice and panel of patients solely under my care go to the trash during my absence. I wholeheartedly feel that those first weeks with your baby are essential, especially when planning to breastfeed (which is a whole other topic....pumping at work!)

It is a small practice where a locum would likely not be brought in during my time off. Other than a locum or reducing my time off, I see no other options, do you?

Anyone have advice as far as discussing my wish to take the 12 weeks off with the surgeon and how to reassure him that when I AM back, I will be ready to work?

Thanks

Subspecialty surgeon and you in the practice.

Both employed by hospital.

Practice not affected by your leave because overhead covered by hospital. Surgeon RVUs may be so ? effect on surgeon income?

What is likely affected is that your usual duties get done by surgeon rather than you while on maternity leave.

Surgeon therefore doesnt get to do what they like to do, surgery. Has to do the stuff you do that keeps him in the OR.

I look at this situation as nothing to do with you and your desires to be an actual human being living a normal life.

I see it as the surgeon is really the one with the problem and you are buying into it because you have a sense of responsibility.

While I applaud this sense of ownership on your part, you likely are not getting compensated for it and is already shifting your focus from what is important, your family.

In the end, you will always wish you had that time with your child rather than returning early to do more H&Ps, hunt down labs and tee up more patients for the surgeon. Personally, I would have to say if I was in the midst of this, it would be a clear indication that I am working with and for the wrong people. Dont buy into it.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I worked for a large hmo when my kid was born. I had worked 220+ hrs/mo forever and never taken time off, even if I took a "vacation" I still worked it around my full time schedule. as a consequence of this I had something like 25 weeks of vacation on the books. I took 11 weeks off with pay. it was good for me and my family and I am still glad I did it. I did give them A LOT of notice that I would be out for this long, something like 6 months.

when I started working for my current group it was mostly men. 15 years later it is mostly young women. and yes, they all take off time when they have a baby, generally 12 weeks. this does make scheduling a bit tight for a while and it always seems like their due dates are june/july/august, but the guys in the group also take time off (generally not as much) , but we still have a few guys who do military, natl guard, disaster teams, and a few older "medically fragile" folks who often need time off for surgeries,medical visits, etc. I think in the end it all probably evens out. I take off time every year for medical missions and for disasters when they arise, etc.

SurgPA if you work for a hospital group/system it should be their problem to deal with staffing during your absence.

The bigger question for you is going to be can you return to the same hours/duties/schedule after your maternity leave?

I brought the breast pump with me for 6 months after returning and believe me it was not easy. And I wasn't in the operating room either.

I have 3 kids and it's a constant juggle.... and it doesn't get easier.

Good luck

FAMILY first!

he will survive and if he does not then so be it.... not to be harsh, but a job is just a job, but a child needs parenting, love, help, support

-----------------

last time I read we were the only 1rst world country with out a PAID maternity leave.... 

take the time, you will never get another opportunity to do it again, and no on ever said they should have worked more when reflecting on their life....

Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement. Hauling the breast pump is something I have NO idea how I will manage with, but I have a feeling my breasts will "let me know!"

I do plan to speak with the surgeon soon just to discuss the issue and share my feelings.

Short term disability usually covers maternity leave in some form, so it's not like it's always completely unpaid...

yikes

if everyone had short term disability we would be great

I would Venture a guess that less than a third of the workforce as this is a benefit, then discussing those that are not actively fully gainfully employed, and the statistics probably look Awful.

• Administrator

not everyone gets this. I would guess most don't.

I have had short term and long term disability coverage for the vast majority of my working life, including as a PA.  I don't have them now, except through my fire department, but I chose to move to a benefits-light job for its other upsides.

I have had short term and long term disability coverage for the vast majority of my working life, including as a PA.  I don't have them now, except through my fire department, but I chose to move to a benefits-light job for its other upsides.

I am pretty sure  you likely have been a professional of some type through out your career, this is leaving an enitre segment (blue collar) out of the equation

USA news says in 2014 about 40% have short term disability..... 60% don't and I suspect this is like any other stat, does not catpure the illegals, the part time workers, the workers on the edge......  so likely as a population base we are far und 40%. 

Again, I think we are one of the only if not the only first world country that does not offer this

http://d35brb9zkkbdsd.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Maternity-leave-chart-final.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/work-in-progress/2012/05/23/3-reasons-why-card-carrying-capitalists-should-support-paid-family-leave/

Looks like one of only 3 countries to not offer it...

You're a human being, not a robot and you are entitled to have a personal life which at times means you'll need time off for maternity leave! It's a sad state we're in here in the US, where employers will complain about you taking time off for the most important event in your life. Most developed countries have a minimum of 6 months paid maternity leave. It's another discussion, but I'd be more than happy to contribute my tax dollars toward this to take the burden off my employer because I know it would have massive societal benefits.

Best of luck!

Well no sh!t he's unhappy. You are creating a 12-week provider void for him, forcing him to hire an expensive locum since he cant legally fire you for maternity leave.

You do have to do what's best for your child, but also think about this from a practice owner's perspective: They HAVE to give you maternity leave, and get zero compensation or benefit from it. In fact, it costs them more money to fill your void than to just pay you as an employee.

I've had more than one physician tell me, in private, that if it were up to them they would not hire female providers. It has nothing to do with their abilities, it's a business issue. Females of childbearing age always carry the risk of maternity leave AND are significantly more likely to either return on a part-time basis or not return at all.

At my last job there were 3 women who got pregnant in a year's time. They all took 12 weeks or longer. One was a provider (my counterpart), and it SUCKED for the rest of us while she was gone because why would management pay for a locum when we could just pick up the slack?? 

So yes, pregnancy is a part of life but look at it from everyone else's perspective. You are either overloading your colleague's schedule or costing the practice money. 

Sheesh this is a bit harsh.  The OP's surgeon hired a woman of childbearing age, so I doubt he'll be completely blown over by the news when it comes.  I understand you are sympathetic to the surgeon, but babies happen and for many of us, we're grateful and blessed for it.  Career, bosses, hospitals, they're all important.  But my experience with many folks who choose PA over MD is that they want an actual life and time to enjoy it.  Women going into medicine, having babies, and continuing their careers is now a norm.  Sounds like your workplace hasn't prepared for this very common occurrence very well, but that's their fault, not the clinician's.  Thanks goodness for FMLA.  Someday you might need 12 weeks off for something important.  Hopefully your colleagues will be a bit more understanding.  

SurgPA,  I was nervous when I approached our medical director (MD) with my first pregnancy.  I had been working there for 2 years.  I remember telling him that I loved my job and was planning on coming back, but that those first 12 weeks with baby were of the upmost importance to me.  I work for a large community health center and I had a very positive response.  But also, the docs I work with are very family oriented.  Does your surgeon have children?  If he does he'll hopefully be understanding.  But if he's not, it may be a sign of things to come.  Like when your 14 month old has been puking all night long and you have had no sleep and you don't trust the babysitter to deal with it and your little one only wants you, so you have to call in sick.  This scenario has only happened a few times in five years, but I'm fortunate that I work with some very understanding people.  One of the reasons I stay at this job (almost 7 years) is because of how supportive they are of mothers in the workplace.  About half of our clinicians (MDs and PAs) are mothers.

Archived