Getting paid for "completing charts" upon separation from employment - Is this double dipping???

Recently I separated from an employer and they have asked me to complete my EMR charts (complete some random omitted/overlooked CPT codes, some billing codes, etc.) ...since the first of the year. (about 100) They gave me a stack of paper charts and asked me to complete them and sign.

I was paid for the services rendered,( I thought)  however, now I am told that I will be paid for these because now they can submit them...I am concerned why i am getting "paid twice" ...Didn't they submit them to to Medicare already?   I believe maybe they paid me  all along in good faith they would be reimburse...And, if they did not submit, are they now submitting them under my NPI number? And because i am no longer their employee...how can they submit under my NPI?  Who can I call to ask about this thorny issue or confirm this is on the up and up? Honestly i do not trust my old employer in asking them. And it seems weird they are "paying me twice" anyway.

Guest Paula

How were you paid?  Were you salaried, paid only on RVUs, a combination of both?  The billers and coders should have been keeping you up to date all along if there were questions on level of service, diagnoses, procedures, etc. so that maximum billing could be accomplished.  At least in my practice I get e-notes back form our coders telling me where I missed coding correctly and then I can correct it immediately.

Did your old practice not have an EMR?  Why paper charts?  Is there an explanation on the charts of what the issue is? Were these charts ones where the billing was  denied by insurance companies for wrong codes? 

You can email AAPA your questions.  

I was paid 60% fee for service medicare reimbursements as a 1099.  Last week I separated from them and the employer did not want me to have access to the EHR - had to hand in my iPad asap and they shut me out of the EHR - New company take over of our small practice and the usual corporate BS policy (so I left the company 3 days after signing the contract - kinda yucky ending to an otherwise beautiful job) Thus, the paper charts. Good thing about the new company - they will have those coders you are talking about for the next guy.

I panicked when i saw the enormity of the charts but it is turning out as i suspected - these are 95% duplicate charts i opened accidentally and never cancelled. Phew! I thought it was strange because I'm an impeccable documenter and sign my charts in front of the patient usually or before i leave their house (I do house calls) I did call my AAPA and they were more concerned about the reason why the separation from my employer after 3 days signing the contract...an even more interesting story...ah, the drama of corporate healthcare....so I remain small and independent, YAY!

Guest Paula

Really, AAPA was CONCERNED about the reason for separation from your employer?  Would love to hear that story which you probably won't share in a public forum.  

Archived