I thought I would ask professional PA's if it was possible to only work 6 or 7 months out of the year.

Do you know any PA's with a schedule like that or do you have any information to make 6 month on 6 months off possible.

I would love to be a PA  but traveling has also become a passion of mine ,and working 6 or 7 months out of the year would give me plenty of time to travel.

It actually seems more common in the nursing world and might actually be easier in the nursing world but I decided to check here before making a decision.

I knew a Derm in FL who was looking for a PA during "season" (FL "Winter" - Oct/Nov - April/May) and would give them the summer off (unpaid) to travel or do whatever else they wanted to do. I guess if you find a private practice Doc who makes his own rules you can negotiate whatever you/they want. 

Probably there are jobs in PA - education where you could get the summers off. I know most work year round, but I'm just saying that it could be possible. 

I have seen ads over the years for ER / Urgent care in seasonal vacation spots that need people for the summer (hard to support yourself on 3-4 months of work).

I have seen physicians and nurses (no PAs that I can remember) who job share.  One position but 2-3 people take turns working that position.  Again, not common but possible.

I just had to, literally, hitchhike from Ashville, NC to Johnson City.TN  this past week end when my US Airways plane broke and I was stranded in Ashville.  The guy I got a ride with (the whole way) is a hospitalist (MD), who works 7 on, 7 off, but sometimes doesn't work for weeks at a time while he travels.  Again, he is 58, doesn't need a huge income but there could be such a position for a PA somewhere.

Is it rare to find jobs that would allow someone to work half the year.

Yeah lol I got the idea because I hear it's a pretty common set up for hospitalists.

That's in a 7 on/7 off pattern, so you don't work 6 months straight and then take the rest of the time off.  Your best bet for what you're seeking is to work locums.  I'd be really worried about my clinical skills deteriorating after taking half of every year off and also about how it would affect my job search.

Once you have some experience and a network maybe you can arrange for a job like this ... especially in fields like hospitalist, urgent care, ED. As a new grad this would be almost impossible. You got to figure the clinic/hospital needs someone to balance your time off ... is there another person who only wants to work 6 months a year ? And if you are replaceable with nobody why do they have you on staff to begin with ?

Archived