How much notice to give when quitting?

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I quit last Tuesday, informing the doctor in person that Monday. He was not happy and said he was not aware of the financial problems, which I told him was not true as we had spoken about them at least four times. Today, my final paycheck and incentive (due from March) along with my 401k funds that had not been contributed, were due. They are refusing to pay. I am told I did not give proper notice and they have suffered damages as a result. I stated the contract was already void due to nonpayment of wages and compensation. They still refused. What a mess, I can't believe how horrible this situation has become.

If you are a W-2 employee, file a case with your state worker's compensation org. That costs you nothing but your time, and they usually act more quickly than the judicial system. Also in my experience, if you have documentation of what you are owed, the employer is pretty much 'guilty until proven innocent'; the burden of disproving your claim is on them.

If you haven't already, create a log of any and all of the conversations on the matter - with all the details you can recall: who said what, when, where the conversation took place, etc. Just the facts. It will be helpful depending on where this goes.

Guest Paula

^^^ Agree with ALiB.  My son had a work situation in which he was not paid (he is not in a medical career), but when he gave notice the employer told him he was done on the spot.  They refused to pay back wages and overtime due.  He got the state employment division involved, has all his paycheck stubs, documentation, and ultimately settled without having to pay a lawyer.  there was a bit of give and take but the settlement was satisfactory and his employer now has a record on file of their unfair labor practices.  

My son is not unionized but he should become a lawyer.

Suezee....don't let the employer take advantage of you and fight for your wages and benefits.  You have a valid case. 

Archived