How much notice to give when quitting?

I will be leaving my current position shortly. How much notice should I give? There's a long story but in short, I will be leaving a very hostile practice that has been stealing money from me and refusing to pay my incentive. I'm trying to be professional but I fear retribution and increased hostility the longer I stay. I have been with the practice for 3.5 years. Thanks.

I disagree with the above suggestion.  You have been there for 3.5 years so I assume that the problem has been ongoing or getting worse.  When possible, never burn any bridges when leaving your position.  They could be very vindictive and make finding or getting a position difficult.

That said I would give i month notice with a formal resignation letter citing general reasons for moving on.  The internet could be your enemy or your friend with comments about you.

I honestly believe I will be terminated once I give notice. The owner/doctor has been told about the theft from my pay checks one month ago and has done nothing to rectify the situation. He's actually upset that I ask for the money due to me. There's a long list of reasons to leave, I just want to protect myself. My schedule isn't busy due to several negative situations surrounding the practice, I'd say I'm booked out 1 week in advance. I have another job several thousand miles away but I don't start for 2-3 months. Just sad it has come to this. Thanks for your replies.

• Administrator

Time out, here.  You DO have savings (or at least the ability to borrow without confiscatory interest rates, i.e., credit cards) sufficient for six months of living expenses, right?  That's a pretty basic thing every adult should have, even if interest rates suck right now.

Now, as far as all of these suggestions that you ease out of the position--WHY?  If the existing practice is as bad as the OP implies it is, what is the value of a good recommendation from a criminal enterprise?  Never be afraid to say "practice was stealing from me" on your next job application, if it's true.

More importantly, gather evidence of wrongdoing before you give notice, and inform the appropriate authorities: your state's labor agency, and the medical board overseeing your SP.

I think easing out is professional.  You are not looking for nor want a recommendation from them. Don't stoop to their level and if they fire you you would be entitled to unemployment.  I would not say "they were stealing from me".  A prospective employer might take that as ared flag that you could be a malcontent.  Keep it professional.

• Administrator

I agree to an extent. I would not say "they were stealing from me" unless I actually filed a lawsuit or a criminal complaint, which would be public record.

The issue of 'malcontent' is a real one, but I think it's important for the PA profession that we all stand up to abusive treatment, contract breaches, and other malarkey, and make it clear that we're not taking it.  Thing is, if we actually do that, we may be bringing to light abuses of other medical practice employees--nurses, MAs, receptionists, whomever--and doing the RIGHT thing is almost never doing the COMFORTABLE thing.  But yeah, I get that many people aren't willing to risk a black spot on their record.

Do you have a contract that stipulates a termination timeframe?

If so, stick to the contract.

If not, lay low, work till you are booked right to the point you were going to leave for the new job, then provide notice.

I am assuming that you will still get paychecks up to that point?

Reality is that if this is an small practice, owned and run by a small group of people, it is like working for any small business. The owners can do whatever they want.

Good luck.

GB PA-C

I agree with Rev. I think in your case, quitting without notice is totally warranted. If you wanted you could just stay and lay low until you can start your new job.

If the practice really is as hostile as you describe, they will most likely fire you after you give notice or make your last few weeks a living hell. You owe them NOTHING. Think about it---when has an employer ever given an employee 2 weeks notice before firing them? It's kind of a taboo thing to do as an adult but it is not the resume-killer people think it is. It's business.

I get the argument of leaving on good terms and not burning bridges, but there is no bridge to burn here. If (and when) it comes up in your next interview, just tell them tactfully that there were some illegal financial practices going on and it was in your best interest to leave the group before things escalated any further. It's not like you worked there for a few months...3.5 years is a good stretch.

Gather as much documentation as you can to prove their wrongdoing before you go.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm going to try to stay as long as I can or until the end of the month, whichever comes first. I was approached by the doctor's personal assistant two days ago and told I was replaceable and needed to apologize for continuously requesting to get paid. Yeah right!! The reputation of the office has been ruined due to divorce and subsequent split of the practice, as well as major illegal activity from last administrator.

Thank you again for the advice, I'll just lay low and make my exit.

Guest Paula

After that conversation I would have packed up my stuff and left at the end of the day after making sure I cleaned out the computer and files, and got everything that belonged to me.

When the climate at my last job got toxic I started cleaning out my files, starting taking home my books, made sure all my patient notes were done at the end of each day, deleted emails (none were of any nature to be worried about), and was ready for my exit just in case I was fired when I gave notice.  I had a job offer and was waiting for the final sign off on the contract before giving notice.  The place I worked typically would just walk people off the job when they gave notice.

I wasn't fired and ended up giving  less than a week notice (altho they knew I would be leaving since you can't keep a secret in a small clinic) due to an acute/chronic problem with my husbands health, and I took my 6 weeks vacation time that was banked and was so happy I did. 

I have had no regrets at all and took a lower paying job, but better environment to practice in.  

Staying any longer than reasonable leaves YOU wide open to liability.

I once worked in a unsavory practice and got out the door literally 4 days before the DEA came in and started wilding...!!

The providers ended up spending $7-22k  each for attornies and defense. It went on for almost 19 months before they were all just let off the hook.

It was kinda funny because I got the phone call to my cell by one of the providers 7 days after it happened... and I was in Brazil on a much needed vacation and celebration after leaving the place 11 days before.

GTFO...!!! 

Archived