First Job: 'Must Have' In-Office Resources?

I just accepted my first job in rural internal medicine with a solo doc. It will be outpatient with anywhere from 5-12 inpatients to round on per day (plus admitting all of our own patients). In addition, I've asked to pick up 2-4 shifts per month in the Urgent Care associated with our hospital (to keep up on my peds and procedures). This is the first time he has ever had a PA (let alone worked with another provider). He is very eager to teach and expand his practice, in addition to creating a very nurturing environment for me as I begin my career. He has asked me to find resources that I would like to have in the office such as online memberships, journals, and textbooks that he is planning on purchasing before I start in October. I already have UpToDate and AAFP magazine on my list, but as a (soon-to-be) new grad, I'm pretty limited on knowing "what the best" resources are. He didn't say anything about cost, so I'd like to get a broad list going and let him decide based on what his budget is; if there is anything that he cannot get that I feel a need for, I can use my CME money for it. Any suggestions? 

This may be a little beyond your control, but if he is new to the world of PAs, make sure his billing staff knows how to handle your paperwork properly. I have seen people lose positions because they "cost the practice too much money." In my experience this is usually do to someone in the front office not knowing how to code. A practice should always increase revenue by adding a PA (unless they have issues with low patient volume).

I always liked AAFP - usually good, practical articles.

Good luck - it sounds like a great opportunity!

Archived