EM PAs making 140k+?

So Im just a pre-PA but I saw a posting recently for a job in the burbs, near Chicago, for an EM PA that pays 70-75/hr. $70/hr * 12hr/shift * 15shifts/mo * 12mo = 151,200. I feel like my math is off because that seems crazy high for a PA...right?

Avg pay for EM PA's in California is $65-$75/hr based on years of experience.

yes. 3x my salary for 2/3rds the hrs. yup. seems a little out of balance. I think an em pa should make around 125k without overtime and an em doc working the same hours should make about 225k due to their extra training.

Dont em pas already make 125k+ w/o ot (according to my calcuation in the first post)?

This thread has some very interesting information. The only thing I don't like is the politics of envy. Is a PA doing EM worth $140K? OK. Should it be $200k? I'm OK with that. Let's focus on what a PA is worth in a given job. MDs have different training and licensing. I don't really really care what they get as long as PAs are properly compensated. This reminds me of the story of a farmer who finds a magic lamp. When the genie appears he offers the farmer one wish so the farmer tells him he has seven cows but his neighbor has fourteen cows which is unfair. So the genie says, "Then your wish is for me to give you seven more cows?" The farmer replies, "No, I want you to kill seven of my neighbor's cows."

Guys, I am totally with you. PAs often earn more than they get paid. Let's figure out what that is and push for it but let's stay out of the politics of envy.

• Upvote 5

This thread has some very interesting information. The only thing I don't like is the politics of envy. Is a PA doing EM worth $140K? OK. Should it be $200k? I'm OK with that. Let's focus on what a PA is worth in a given job. MDs have different training and licensing. I don't really really care what they get as long as PAs are properly compensated. This reminds me of the story of a farmer who finds a magic lamp. When the genie appears he offers the farmer one wish so the farmer tells him he has seven cows but his neighbor has fourteen cows which is unfair. So the genie says, "Then your wish is for me to give you seven more cows?" The farmer replies, "No, I want you to kill seven of my neighbor's cows."

Guys, I am totally with you. PAs often earn more than they get paid. Let's figure out what that is and push for it but let's stay out of the politics of envy.

Oh shoot! You mean we can't play APRN's vs Physicians on this site.................I know this word is an allien concept in our current society but I'll just throw another grenade into the crowd, RESPONSIBILITY.............I think it may apply to the crux of this  perceived disparity in the Benjamins.

I know a bunch making over 200k. the less you are willing to be away from work, the more you can make.

Yeah, I had certainly heard of people breaking the 200k mark.  Seems doable depending on the specialty, location, experience, etc.  But over 350k?  I've just never heard of any PA salary reaching that level.

Yeah, I had certainly heard of people breaking the 200k mark.  Seems doable depending on the specialty, location, experience, etc.  But over 350k?  I've just never heard of any PA salary reaching that level.

CT surgery MDs can make well over 600k, so yes it is possible for a PA in CT surg to make 350k.  You have no life though.

you can do it if you own a practice, are an author of a best seller, etc.

I have a couple of friends in NYC making ~$65/hour in a NYC ED as fresh grads. I'm not sure about any benefit packages. This was surprising to me as I was under the impression that NYC area pays relatively low due to the glut of PA schools in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of high numbers here. What is a good "Standard" to compare these to? 100K w/ 5 years EM experience? 90K for a new grad? I honestly have no idea so I'm simply asking for my edification.

Completely depends on your location. Some places are swamped with PA/NP programs so average pay can be $60-80k, other places can pay much more.

Then you gotta look at cost of living at the different areas. Huge differences across the country there as well.

Completely depends on your location. Some places are swamped with PA/NP programs so average pay can be $60-80k, other places can pay much more.

Then you gotta look at cost of living at the different areas. Huge differences across the country there as well.

Cool, thanks. Its crazy that people take 60K to practice medicine. Seems insulting to other PAs and the profession in general. 

This can be addressed in several ways.

First, programs making a point about discussing salaries and contracts.

I dont buy the plethora of programs equals low salaries.

That strikes me as a certain mindset that has no true economic underpinnings.

Same thing as managing 80% or more of what a physician can whilst accepting less than 50% of the salary in comparison (or worse).

Demographics are changing, demand is rising and the existing programs will not be able to fill the demand.

Salaries are becoming untethered from whatever was controlling them in the past. Take a look at this thread and the numbers being thrown around. Those arent make believe, they are real for those willing to be flexible and take on challenges.

Prescient employers are realizing that there is a lot of competition out there. Positions that entail odd hours, heightened responsibility or contribute greatly to a practice are being recognized as crucial and compensation is being adjusted. They realize that if they dont hold onto those folks it will be a while till they are replaced....if they can or at all.

I can provide an example of a position recently that I was interested in the southwest. Offer was $65/hr, decent benefits especially retirement, but some night shift work, definitely holidays and weekends. For someone like me, if I just wait and cherry pick, I will do better and I already have a great situation. That position is still being heavily advertised by the original employer plus a recruiter is working on it also. I looked at it hard back in March. Place is still looking in June.

On top of that, the economy is picking up, real estate has corrected and is moving. All those factors that kept someone stuck from 2008 till now are lifting. As more fellowship trainees enter the market that will also cause an upward adjustment that will raise all boats.

I have also heard about the cost of living thing. I hear it around here in rural new england where it costs an arm and a leg to live taking into consideration home fuel costs, property taxes and generally high intro into real estate. Every place in the country, regardless of cost of living, is in competition nationally for PAs. There are only 100,000 of them. The supply is low, the demand is high and getting higher.

GB PA-C

• Upvote 1

I know for a fact that a number of my colleagues (new grads) have accepted salaries well above $100K to start, not counting OT.

I'm curious to see what the next salary survey shows because I think salaries in some regions are increasing much faster than they have in the past. The 2013 survey may no longer have any relation to what employers are having to pay to get talent now. 

I know for a fact that a number of my colleagues (new grads) have accepted salaries well above $100K to start, not counting OT.

I'm curious to see what the next salary survey shows because I think salaries in some regions are increasing much faster than they have in the past. The 2013 survey may no longer have any relation to what employers are having to pay to get talent now. 

What does "well above" mean here? 

• Upvote 1