EM PAs making 140k+?

So Im just a pre-PA but I saw a posting recently for a job in the burbs, near Chicago, for an EM PA that pays 70-75/hr. $70/hr * 12hr/shift * 15shifts/mo * 12mo = 151,200. I feel like my math is off because that seems crazy high for a PA...right?

Benefits generally cost an employer 30%-35% of wages. Benefits include vacation, sick time, cme funds and time off, healthcare, life insurance, 401k, etc. Does the job include most of those things and to what degree? How good the pay is depends on the benefits or lack of benefits.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Benefits generally cost an employer 30%-35% of wages. Benefits include vacation, sick time, cme funds and time off, healthcare, life insurance, 401k, etc. Does the job include most of those things and to what degree? How good the pay is depends on the benefits or lack of benefits. Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Idk it just says 70-75/hr

Do have to differentiate if bennies included with that wage or not.

Looking at the website it is hospital employment so likely some sort of benefit package included.

I always wonder when there is surprise that PA salaries actually reflect a really nice wage.

Put this job in perspective.

A place is recruiting and looking for PAs with experience. There is a lot of opportunity out there. Likely the PAs they want to hire have decent jobs now and need incentive to move. Plus this is EM. There is a high level of responsibility even if in the fast track. Patient volume will be high also. If the job entails main side work, there is a lot that goes into achieving and maintaining the knowledge base and skills to perform competently.

This all entails a realistic salary.

Compare to a board cert EM physician making high 200k, low 300k in same area.

So a high functioning PA either in fast track or main side will end up seeing higher volumes due to lower acuities but in the end, the contribution they make is very similar to the board cert physician, but they are only worth 1/3?

One could make the case that a PA in that situation is worth minimum 50% of that salary which get to the 150k range.

Not far fetched at all.

Then look at the cost of living and what had to be done to get the education.

Walking out of PA school with 100k in loans is pretty common and then any undergrad on top of that.

So the employer has to take into consideration that they may have to provide a salary to attract that kind of individual.

More employers will get the fact that if they dont keep up on PA salaries that there will be individuals that will leave for greener pastures. So all the time, effort and training they have expended will have to occur again with the added cost of recruitment.

BTW, I made 140k plus last year that included administrative stipend.

GB PA-C

140+ is very doable in em. consider that this job is chicago, a place with a high cost of living.

the trick is to make good money in a place with a reasonable cost of living like George and I do. High wage in em typically means one of 2 things; either high volume low acuity move the meat type settings or places where pas see sicker pts and are rewarded for their autonomy and scope of practice. I have worked too many of the former and much prefer the latter, which is what I now concentrate on with 12 and 24 hrs shifts in rural settings.

Yes!

My first EM job will definitely allow me to hit that number with a modicum of overtime and as time goes on, it will be even easier to hit. I've talked to plenty of my classmates who will be making well over 100K a year out of school, in many different markets and specialties, not just in EM. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the replies guys. So I just googled EM physician salaries and found that $250-300/hr is pretty common. Thats $275/hr*12hr shift *15 shifts/mo *12 mo = 594k. I KNOW that that has gotta be off. Theres now way that its common for an EM physician to make 648k. My calculation gotta be off somewhere right?

I'm doing that working six months a year and I pick when and where I work.......independent isolated practice, feast or famine workload.........USCG helo and C-130 rides , private or company aircraft available for use in emergencies! Enjoy the grind and flog my friends no druggies or crazies tolerated , it's way back in my rear view mirror.

• Upvote 1

EM physicians salaries vary widely.

Depends on if they are in a group, the make up of that group and associated compensation scheme.

Region & volume are also big factors.

Are they fee for service, hospital employee, bonus structure, partner, not partner?

Also, even if getting over $200/hr, likely not working more than 1600 to 1700 hours a year.

Frame of reference, 40 hours per week, 52 week, 2080 hours a year. So 480 to 380 hrs off a year.

Higher #s likely fee for service, partner in a group or bonus based on RVUs.

If hospital employee, likely mid to high 200s.

GB PA-C

• Upvote 1

the docs I work with work 120-144 hrs/mo for 350k or so...

is it ever frustrating to make 1/4 their salary doing the similar work? Idc that much about salary and 140k sounds great, but just knowing that they make 4x as much doing similar stuff seems frustrating.

is it ever frustrating to make 1/4 their salary doing the similar work? Idc that much about salary and 140k sounds great, but just knowing that they make 4x as much doing similar stuff seems frustrating.

yes. 3x my salary for 2/3rds the hrs. yup. seems a little out of balance. I think an em pa should make around 125k without overtime and an em doc working the same hours should make about 225k due to their extra training.

Thanks for the replies guys. So I just googled EM physician salaries and found that $250-300/hr is pretty common. Thats $275/hr*12hr shift *15 shifts/mo *12 mo = 594k. I KNOW that that has gotta be off. Theres now way that its common for an EM physician to make 648k. My calculation gotta be off somewhere right?

That's what the EM physicians make at the hospital I work at in Los Angeles.  Board certified EM physicians make a lot of $$$