Trauma Surgery Preparation

Hello! 

I have been lucky enough to land a couple of awesome trauma surgery / medicine rotations next year for my clinical year. I am thrilled to pieces about this, since trauma surgery or inpatient trauma medicine is where I think I would like to work as a career. 

Several of my rotations have been occasionally known to hire new grads, and I am interested in people's opinions on good things to do to prepare myself as best as possible. Education resources, classes I could take, tips for the actual rotation, etc. 

I'm already signed up to audit ATLS, and I am taking ACLS and PALS this summer. 

Thank you everyone! 

Just be as enthusiastic as possible, don't let annoying residents bring you down, and always be willing to help out in any way.  On my trauma rotation unfortunately students were responsible for the (possibly useless) DRE on all traumas.  So I was very grateful when some new students came in and I could hand that off.  Also during traumas, you should carry shears and help get the clothes off, help move the patient, check the peripheral pulses, do the foley and NG tubes (ask the nurses to teach you these), pull up the X-rays, etc.  During rounds, volunteer to be the one writing down or entering orders, or pulling up imaging during rounds.  Just be yourself and try to get along with others.  Surgery types can be very difficult to get along with so get used to biting your tounge. Most trauma people are great, but the surgical residents coming through may not be.

As far as what to review: ABGs - you will get very used to seeing these.  Read all your own images including CTs even if it looks like a jumbled grey mass - it will pay off.  Review the new Hb 7-8 threshold for transfusion.  Memorize the GCS.  Get used to the ABCDE trauma and ask if you can run a trauma once you get some experience when you find some drunk coming in through trauma that is obviously not sick.  Other things to review would be broad spectrum antibiotics, watch videos of starting arterial lines, hmm... there is a lot of great things to do in trauma, but burn out is high and you will understand why towards the end of your rotation.  You will have a blast but it may be grueling especially if you get stuck with bad residents.  Keep an open mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived