• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I interviewed for the waitlist at the Miami Shores campus on 1/29 and I just found out a few days ago that I have been accepted off the waitlist!!! I am beyond grateful to be a part of this program and to those still on the waitlist do not lose hope!

I am looking to join the Facebook group page for accepted students, if anyone could please let me know how to join it I would really appreciate it!

Good luck to all 

Hello everyone!

I interviewed for the waitlist at the Miami Shores campus on 1/29 and I just found out a few days ago that I have been accepted off the waitlist!!! I am beyond grateful to be a part of this program and to those still on the waitlist do not lose hope!

I am looking to join the Facebook group page for accepted students, if anyone could please let me know how to join it I would really appreciate it!

Good luck to all 

Congrats on your acceptance! The Facebook group for the Miami Shores campus can be found at  facebook.com/groups/BarryUniversityPAClassof2018

BarryUniversityPAClassof2018@groups.facebook.com

Can't wait to meet you all, and good luck to those of you waiting to hear back!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to let you guys know that I interviewed at the Miami Shores campus on January 22nd, 2016 and was placed on the waitlist. On Friday April 1st I was offered a seat for the Class of 2018 which I gladly accepted.

I am very excited to be part of Barry University PA program and I look forward to meeting everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Can those that were accepted share some of their grades, experiences, hours of shadowing, etc?

I'm not even close to being done with my BS degree but trying to do what it takes now to get accepted later down the road.

I do not have a healthcare license or do I carry hours of experience so I'm afraid thus will disqualify me. Anyone here that DIDN'T have healthcare patient contact hours? I hope there are a few that can atleast let me know. I'm so afraid I won't get in because of that :(

Hey everyone,

I was fortunate enough to get a call/email today offering acceptance at St Croix and I know while I was applying I scoured the boards to get an idea of what they were looking for and the time frame for acceptance and everything so here it goes:

12/1/2015 - Apply through Caspa

12/17/2015 - Invitation to interview

1/22/2016 - Interview

1/26/2016 at 2:00 PM Eastern Time - Acceptance call

My undergrad grades were good, but by no means spectacular and not even close to all As. I had plenty of Bs (more Bs than As) in my science classes, with 2 Cs total throughout undergrad. I did take heavy class loads (4 science classes + 4 labs) a few of the semesters, and that may have balanced out not having the most phenomenal GPA.

My GRE scores were above average, but once again werent blowing anyones mind. I spent the last year working full time in the hospital and shadowing a PA several times weekly accumulating 1500 hours healthcare experience and 200 hours shadowing experience.

My advice to anyone else applying or reading this in the future - just be yourself during the interview. Don't try to answer interview questions as if it's a utopian world - be honest and let them see who you really are, not who you think they want you to be.

I hate to put myself out there like that, but I know I would've loved to find this information while I was applying. Good luck everybody, you got this!

what exactly were your GRE scores? I am waitlisted now  reapplying and Im not sure if I should retake the GRE or just reapply without retaking it

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to let you guys know that I interviewed at the Miami Shores campus on January 22nd, 2016 and was placed on the waitlist. On Friday April 1st I was offered a seat for the Class of 2018 which I gladly accepted.

I am very excited to be part of Barry University PA program and I look forward to meeting everyone!

did  you do anything after being placed on the wait list (sent additional LOR, transcripts, updated HCE hours?) or just let it be?  Thank you!

did  you do anything after being placed on the wait list (sent additional LOR, transcripts, updated HCE hours?) or just let it be?  Thank you!

Hello,

I did send them an email saying that I was still interested in being considered for their program. I sent it approximately a month after my interview.

Besides that I did not update anything else. 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly were your GRE scores? I am waitlisted now  reapplying and Im not sure if I should retake the GRE or just reapply without retaking it

Verbal Reasoning - 152 (54%)

Quantitative Reasoning - 156 (64%)

Analytical Writing - 5.5 (98%)

Overall GPA - 3.5

Science GPA - Something like 3.3-3.4, I can't remember

1500 Hours Full time Health Care Experience

200 hours shadowing a PA

Can those that were accepted share some of their grades, experiences, hours of shadowing, etc?

I'm not even close to being done with my BS degree but trying to do what it takes now to get accepted later down the road.

I do not have a healthcare license or do I carry hours of experience so I'm afraid thus will disqualify me. Anyone here that DIDN'T have healthcare patient contact hours? I hope there are a few that can atleast let me know. I'm so afraid I won't get in because of that :(

Besides some light volunteering in the ER for a couple months my freshman year of college, I had absolutely no hospital experience prior to graduating with my Bachelor's in Biology. I applied several times to the local hospitals while in college, but for some reason or another, never could land a job. After I graduated I managed to get on at a Geri Psych Unit working as a Nurses Aide and I worked there from February 2015 until I applied for Barry in December of 2015  (I actually am going to continue working there until I move to St Croix, I wound up really liking the staff and patients on the unit).

At least half of my individual 10 minute interview was spent talking about my healthcare experience (I can't remember the direction of the questions that lead it to there though). If you really want to get in, I would recommend at least getting hospital volunteer hours. To be competitive, you need to work for a while in the hospital. Most of the successful candidates at the schools I looked at/applied to had averages of around 1000-4000 hours experience in a patient care environment (0.5-2 years full time). Don't wait until after college to start getting healthcare experience or you could wind up short on hours or not able to get an appropriate job. I was fortunate and got to know the PA on our unit so I began shadowing her after work and on days off, so it just worked out, but I would recommend finding a PA to shadow. It helps not only in understanding the scope of the job but also shows that you have an understanding of what you're getting yourself into.

Archived