NHSC Loan Repayment

Hey everyone. So I am a PA student that is going to be graduating in two months. I have used the search function but didn't seem to find what I was looking for. I want to hear from people who did the NHSC loan repayment program, not the scholarship. What were the pros and cons? I am looking to do it due to high student loans. I am not sure if I want to stay in primary care my whole career but I feel a couple years of it would give me a good foundation if I go onto something else, plus a lot of jobs say they want someone with 1-2 years of experience so this will check that off as well. I have only been looking on the NHSC website for jobs and was wondering if there are wbsites I am missing or other areas to check for NHSC elgible locations? Also, if anyone knows of any other loan repayment options?  Thanks!!

Cons- paper work is a hassle, they will miss file things, lose things, you will send multiple times.  It is better now that it is web based. 

If you do not like your job it can be a hassle to move, you are under contract

Pros-

if you did a scholarship program with NHSC they place you, with loan repayment you find a job and then apply for repayment.  There is no guarantee that you will get funded.  the higher the HSPA score the better your odds.  It all depends on the government spending bills and what is allocated each year. 

5 years of service and I am loan free.

I did the loan repayment.  2 years plus 1 extra year to cover all my loans. Finished my contract about 3 years ago.   PROS:  tax free money and still got my regular pay.  CONS:  not really any, unless you don't like your job and want to quit, you will need to find another clinic that offers the loan repayment.  My site score was a 14 I believe.

Archived