Doctoral studies for PAs

Im not sure a DPT is 5 years ... My cousins wife just did one at Boston Univ and it took 7 years I believe. She has a 200 k debt which will probably be paid over a 15 year period at 1500 a month. She makes 15k less than the median PA salary in US. She makes 40k less than a new grad PA I know in ED in Florida. She has been working 2 years.

I see what you are getting at now. If a PA program was going to award a doctoral degree they would have to add at least a half year to curriculum and include greater research methods and a research project somehwhat similar to what Yale requires for its 27 month program. I could see some programs adding a year. And now you find the student in a similar situation as my cousin with a much larger debt and nothing to show for it. MD and JD programs are trying to reduce time we should not try and expand it unless someone wants to take it to another level. I do not see PA degrees racing above inflation much in the next 20 years.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from APTA

Curriculum

The length of professional DPT programs is typically 3 years. Primary content areas in the curriculum may include, but are not limited to, biology/anatomy, cellular histology, physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, neuroscience, pharmacology, pathology, behavioral sciences, communication, ethics/values, management sciences, finance, sociology, clinical reasoning, evidence-based practice, cardiovascular and pulmonary, endocrine and metabolic, and musculoskeletal. Eighty percent (80%) of the DPT curriculum comprises classroom (didactic) and lab study and the remaining 20 percent (20%) is dedicated to clinical education. PT students spend on average 27.5 weeks in their final clinical experience.

There are also plenty of 3 + 3 programs out there for DPT. And 2 + 4 for Pharmd.

Now that you mention it, there are 2+4 programs for MD programs as well. If they were to make one of those a 3 year MD for primary care, you could theoretically get your MD in 5 years from high school. Hmmmm....

Now that you mention it, there are 2+4 programs for MD programs as well. If they were to make one of those a 3 year MD for primary care, you could theoretically get your MD in 5 years from high school. Hmmmm....

I think most are 3+4. 2+3 is the British option...

I think most are 3+4. 2+3 is the British option...

No, there are 2 year undergrad and then 4 year med schools. Most which you apply for in high school. I wasn't saying there are 2+3 programs, which there aren't any of those in Britain either as they are 2+4, but that one is theoretically possible.

I went to the Hahnemann/drexel alumni reunion last night and had an interesting chat with the program director. They are starting a 2 year online DHSc for PAs next year with no on-campus requirements. Apparently this was the # 1 request of alumni on a survey they recently sent out.

I went to the Hahnemann/drexel alumni reunion last night and had an interesting chat with the program director. They are starting a 2 year online DHSc for PAs next year with no on-campus requirements. Apparently this was the # 1 request of alumni on a survey they recently sent out.

No kidding!  Interesting.  Did he say when they would have information available?  Begin recruiting candidates? 

I haven't had a chance to read everything in this thread, but I'm going to say what I said in my other thread.

PA programs require more credits than BSN to DNP, BS to DPT, and more than any other regular doctorate degre I know of, but only awards students a masters degree.

Why are you urging AAPA, schools, and whatever to extend our education even further just to make our degree comparable to those with doctorate degrees? We need a change of the standard degree from masters to doctorate, not more years of education (residency is a different story).

Our standard degree will probably never change though because it's already too late. They only way they'll change it to a doctorate is if we add 1-2 more years of school... Which means we're still losing the battle.

I haven't had a chance to read everything in this thread, but I'm going to say what I said in my other thread.

PA programs require more credits than BSN to DNP, BS to DPT, and more than any other regular doctorate degre I know of, but only awards students a masters degree.

Why are you urging AAPA, schools, and whatever to extend our education even further just to make our degree comparable to those with doctorate degrees? We need a change of the standard degree from masters to doctorate, not more years of education (residency is a different story).

Our standard degree will probably never change though because it's already too late. They only way they'll change it to a doctorate is if we add 1-2 more years of school... Which means we're still losing the battle.

This is my complaint. With most PA Master's programs at 2.5 years (some trending towards 3) and 100+ credit hours, we've surpassed most other doctorate programs and at least equalled 3-year med schools in terms of hours. Most PA programs now have a capstone research project and/or thesis. Awarding a master's instead of a doctorate must be politically and financially motivated.

This is my complaint. With most PA Master's programs at 2.5 years (some trending towards 3) and 100+ credit hours, we've surpassed most other doctorate programs and at least equalled 3-year med schools in terms of hours. Most PA programs now have a capstone research project and/or thesis. Awarding a master's instead of a doctorate must be politically and financially motivated.

And further, think about the fact that naturopaths, both in states where they are licensed and those where they aren't, are "doctors" while PAs with a similar scope of practice are "assistants." The inconsistency boggles the mind. Maybe there should be a PA/ND degree so PAs can open their own independent practice and be called "doctor." Kidding, of course.

And further, think about the fact that naturopaths, both in states where they are licensed and those where they aren't, are "doctors" while PAs with a similar scope of practice are "assistants." The inconsistency boggles the mind. Maybe there should be a PA/ND degree so PAs can open their own independent practice and be called "doctor." Kidding, of course.

there are NP/ND programs...

Archived