New Grad ER position...

I've already accepted the position but wanted y'alls feedback on this offer...

$50/hour

15 - 9 hour shifts per month guaranteed at first with option to pick up more shifts

Health, Malpractice, and Disability Insurance covered

401K with 3% match after 1 year

Profit sharing

$500 CME allowance

It is THE largest and busiest ER in the area.

I will be starting in the fast track for the first few months, working my way up as I become comfortable with the EMR.

Overall, Im pretty pumped about the opportunity!!!

The group uses computerized prescriptions that are signed by the physician. $81,000 would be correct if I worked 15 shifts/month. They said that is the minimum number of shifts I would get starting off but more likely to have 19-20 if I wanted them. That would put me well over 100K. Doesn't seem bad for a position right out of school!!!

Isn't that a bit crazy that the group doesn't allow you to write rx? Doesn't that only come out to $81,000? That seems low. Are my expectations too high?

81K for less than full time out right out of school is a pretty solid offer... around 80K for fulltime is about what is expected for a new grad.

I have not spoken directly about prescriptive authority with the group, just "heard" through other PAs that have worked there. I don't think it has to do with the state regulation of having to practice for a year. I really think that because mid-levels at this hospital will never be in a position without a physician there to immediately co-sign charts prior to patient discharge, they feel there is no need for mid-levels to have prescriptive authority. But as I said, this is just speculation and I will find out more as fill out my contract.

• 2 weeks later...
I have not spoken directly about prescriptive authority with the group, just "heard" through other PAs that have worked there. I don't think it has to do with the state regulation of having to practice for a year. I really think that because mid-levels at this hospital will never be in a position without a physician there to immediately co-sign charts prior to patient discharge, they feel there is no need for mid-levels to have prescriptive authority. But as I said, this is just speculation and I will find out more as fill out my contract.

Not a big deal about autonomy, imo, if the docs just rubber stamp it

• 1 month later...

Archived