Naturopathic Medicine

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be clear, this person is not (and never was) a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.).  Not sure the point of this post, but I just wanted to clarify that, according to the article, he never graduated from an accredited ND school, never passed his national boards, never received a license from the state (since FL does not even license NDs), and apparently called himself "Dr" based on his PhD.  Obviously, this guy's a fraud.  This article has nothing to do with the above conversation.  

Dudes, what's with the smears?  According to his acupuncturist and a full investigation by the CA board of med, the acupuncturist tried to convince him to seek conventional care until she was blue in the face.  You can lead a horse to water...

This is another very distracting post.  You can't blame an LAc for Steve Jobs' death simply because he chose to visit an acupuncturist.  He chose not to seek conventional care.  There was no malpractice involved.  Period.    Not to mention, yet again, this example doesn't even pertain to naturopaths.  

It is very hard to be objective when the NDs and DCs don't communicate (at least with me) and speak another language basically.

It is very difficult to work with your patient when they have been told by the ND that we "are poisoning them" and they have been advised to stop all Rx medications - even abruptly sometimes.

Our professions are not collaborative or even complementary when they can't communicate in a common language or goal. The patients are in the middle receiving conflicting information.

Just because something is "natural" does not make it amazing.  Remember foxglove and marijuana and poppy flowers are "natural" too.

There is NO WAY an ND is going to cleanse a familial triglyceride of 1100. The patient is at risk of pancreatitis. 

The ND cannot fix an autoimmune pancreas and a HgA1c of 15.

Sometimes there is better living through chemistry.......

Sometimes people just need to learn there is no magic bullet on any level - naturopathic or allopathic. Self responsibility, awareness, self care all play a HUGE role that our population is less and less willing to accept. They have to have someone to blame or sue when there is a bad outcome.

We are the players in their world and if we can't work together - then the patient receives no benefit.

My experience thus far has shown that these providers in general are not willing to work in our world - they are against our thought processes and, thus, the process if poisoned.

My very old 2 cents..................

Sometimes people just need to learn there is no magic bullet on any level - naturopathic or allopathic. Self responsibility, awareness, self care all play a HUGE role that our population is less and less willing to accept. They have to have someone to blame or sue when there is a bad outcome.

Big thumbs up.  Couldn't agree more. 

We are the players in their world and if we can't work together - then the patient receives no benefit.

My experience thus far has shown that these providers in general are not willing to work in our world - they are against our thought processes and, thus, the process if poisoned.

It's true.  Relations between PCPs and CAM providers is very sour--on both sides.  It's sad to see an ND slander a PCP, but the fact is, we make blunders in allopathic medicine every day.  We can only work to better our own practices to better serve the patients that come to us.  There's a reason some patients are fleeing to alternative medicine, and that's not how it should be.  On the other hand, I do think the more we embrace the strengths of legitimate (i.e., licensed) NDs and other providers (DCs, LAcs, etc), the more we ultimately serve our patients in the long run.  There are unprofessional jerks on the CAM side, just as there are on the allopathic side.  But there are hard-working, competent, open-minded individuals on both sides as well.  My ultimate goal for NDs, in general, is not for their model to take over medicine but for an open, respectful conversation to occur between CAM--allopathic--and patient.  

Archived