Picking a program based on "supply and demand" post graduation?

Hello again,

I am extremely glad I came across this forum, because I have found some very insightful and helpful information. That being said, I have also come across some information that is slightly discouraging. Particularly people stating how difficult it is/was to get a job in certain states, and if they did, they were low paying. To me, that is definitely a factor in choosing where to reside post graduation, but my question is, should it help decide where to apply program wise as well? I know plenty of people go to school out of state and move around and are able to get jobs easily, but would I have better luck depending on where I get my degree?

For example:

I currently reside in Georgia. I grew up in Ohio, did my undergrad in Pennsylvania. My tentative list of schools I am interested in includes schools from Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas, and North Carolina. I am, however, contemplating adding schools from Ohio and Pennsylvania. My reason being is two fold- 1. I am contemplating moving back home to help save some money for when I go to school to reduce the amount of loan money I will need 2. I realize it has been very hard up and moving away from my family and my support system, and I  think that being closer to them, especially during PA school, would be helpful in getting me through.  I  thought I wanted to be down south, and stay down south, but now I have mixed feelings. I have noticed that I have had more opportunities down here than I did in Ohio. After reading  through some posts, I realize that is the same for PAs. It seems as though PA jobs are very scarce in PA and OH. So now I'm weighing my options if it is worth it to move back home if ultimately I will find myself struggling to find employment or possibly struggle to get by on a low salary. 

Obviously no matter where I go to school, it appears as if I will struggle to find a job in OH or PA. But if I were to choose to go to school there, even to give myself a few more years with my family, would I also find myself struggling to find employment elsewhere due to my degree coming from those states?

And other than word of mouth (especially this forum), how else do I find out where PA jobs are abundant/well respected/well paid?

At the end of the day, I just don't want to bust my butt for this many years, and put in that much money, to essentially come out empty handed. 

Any perspective is much appreciated! 

I'm a PA in Ohio and the graduate of an Ohio program. My classmates went literally all over the country, generally returning to where they came from. One is in Boston, some in Chicago, several in Colorado, one in Nebraska, one in Alaska, some no doubt in other states, and many are still here in Ohio.

There are jobs to be had in Ohio. Some areas of the state are easier to find jobs in than others. I am in Columbus, which is really an NP town (given that OSU has had a huge nursing program for over a hundred years). Still, there are jobs here. The Cleveland Clinic is the largest single employer of PAs in the state.

There are some advantages to going to school near where you want to work, in that your rotations will expose you to jobs. That said, many students go to out-of-state rotations in areas where they would like to work. How this is arranged varies from school to school.

You will have to work to find the job your want no matter where you go to school.

Good luck in your decision.

Archived