Which would look better on you PA application

Neither are HCE or paid. And this is just for a school that wants both volunteer hours in addition to HCE. HCE I will fulfill by past clinical research assistant work and scribe work. But I was wondering what would look better for the volunteer hours Ambulence Corps, or working with patients and their families in ER, Hospice or oncology.

Neither are HCE or paid. And this is just for a school that wants both volunteer hours in addition to HCE. HCE I will fulfill by past clinical research assistant work and scribe work. But I was wondering what would look better for the volunteer hours Ambulence Corps, or working with patients and their families in ER, Hospice or oncology.

keep in mind many programs accept neither research nor scribe hours as HCE....

I know that there are only a few that accept clinical research. But there are many more that accept scribe. I am hoping that if my HCE is not top notch, my high GPA and many difficult courses will be the card in my pocket that gets me in.

They must consider your undergraduate school?

• Administrator

HCE I will fulfill by past clinical research assistant work and scribe work.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

(edit: E beat me to it)

Seriously, you should apply to med school if you're unwilling to get your hands dirty as an EMT, CNA, or MA.  You'll end up thanking us for the advice if you take it, or more likely hating the learning curve in medicine if you ignore it.

You are referencing to the word assistant....right? 

Forgive me, I just remember seeing a PA meme and started laughing (it doesn't take much to entertain me).

OP: I would do whichever you feel more comfortable doing (the one that puts you out of your comfort zone). If you are spending your time trying to please everyone (Adcoms) you will be pre-occupied with everything BUT why you chose medicine and the privilege to help the less fortunate. I would say the local village ambulance corps because it sounds unique. 

(edit: E beat me to it)

Seriously, you should apply to med school if you're unwilling to get your hands dirty as an EMT, CNA, or MA.  You'll end up thanking us for the advice if you take it, or more likely hating the learning curve in medicine if you ignore it.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=youtune+princess+bride+don%27t+think+it+means+what+you+think+it+means&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Thanks, I think I will do the ambulance corp. And I am sure there will be plenty gory experiences with that choice.

My god, do not hope for gory experiences. Gore is tragic and the superficially 'heroic' medical stuff of movies.

Seek out human experiences. Ones of discovering greater empathy in yourself, and of truer connections to others. This will be your most valuable medicine.

I know that there are only a few that accept clinical research. But there are many more that accept scribe. I am hoping that if my HCE is not top notch, my high GPA and many difficult courses will be the card in my pocket that gets me in.

They must consider your undergraduate school?

The school you attended doesn't mean much here. What matter are the grades and classes taken.

Everyone has an idea what a career will be like but, unless you get a chance to see it in action, you will probably be wrong. The goal of HCE is not to check a box or meet a minimum requirement but to experience healthcare. To avoid the long climb up a career ladder that you might have otherwise propped up against the wrong wall.

EMS is a good way to do it but it probably won't be the gore that tells you if you're in the right place. It's the midnight run to a shut-in double amputee who has defecated on himself and you can clean it up without robbing him of his dignity. It's the unconscious unknown who you diagnose, treat, and bring back. It's the CPR you do to no avail. It's working as part of a team, even if you're just the one holding the oxygen bottle.

I love EMS; after nearly 30 years -- including 9 as a PA -- I still ride as a medic a few times each month because I love it and the people who work with me. EMS is nobody's farm league. It's its own unique environment where one minute you can be eating dinner and in the next you are en route to whatever madness is going on in your district.

Your time in EMS isn't so much about finding out what EMS is. Instead it is a golden opportunity to find out who the heck you are and if this is really what you want to be doing.

Archived