Do PA's here feel they get compensated fairly for the services they provide?

yup, after 19 years I can finally say the answer is yes. I have had many jobs at which I was underpaid (24/hr in 1999) and some jobs at which I was overpaid but hated the work. now I have a series of jobs that pay me a fair wage for the work I do. money has never been the primary motivator for me though, it was always about scope of practice. I left a $32/hr job that paid overtime for a $24/hr job that didn't (but often scheduled lots of 60 hr weeks) because the scope of practice and autonomy were a step up. I was there for a few years and moved on when I had maxed out the learning potential there.

yup, after 19 years I can finally say the answer is yes. I have had many jobs at which I was underpaid (24/hr in 1999) and some jobs at which I was overpaid but hated the work. now I have a series of jobs that pay me a fair wage for the work I do. money has never been the primary motivator for me though, it was always about scope of practice. I left a $32/hr job that paid overtime for a $24/hr job that didn't (but often scheduled lots of 60 hr weeks) because the scope of practice and autonomy were a step up. I was there for a few years and moved on when I had maxed out the learning potential there.

but that was after 19 years of work. How about those who are fairly new into this field. How do PAs that are 3-4 years out in this field about it. 

Would you happen to have an insight about the trend over the past few years?

residency grads are paid well and get their choice of jobs. other jobs are quite variable based on location and specialty. It bears repeating:

as a new grad pick 2:

specialty

salary/benefits

I remember reading that after a few years the residency trained PAs arent much different than those who work in their field for a couple of years and eventually hit their salary ceiling faster, making them equal to those who didnt go through a residency program (in terms of preference for a job and salary).

Short answer: yes.

I'm two years out and did not do a residency.

I chose my position based loosely on specialty and location. I knew I wanted to be inpatient but didn't have a strong preference for specialty beyond that, and I knew where I wanted to work. It helped that in my job search I had never come across a better package than the one offered at my preferred location.

I won't be happy here forever because I don't get to work to my full scope of practice, but as a still newish graduate it's a great gig and I have not yet maxed out my learning potential. I'll stay until that happens.

I remember reading that after a few years the residency trained PAs arent much different than those who work in their field for a couple of years and eventually hit their salary ceiling faster, making them equal to those who didnt go through a residency program (in terms of preference for a job and salary).

the salaries even out after a few years , but the skills don't. see other thread about this right now.

I'm extremely happy with my set-up.  I'm more than fairly compensated (my employer added 12% on to my base salary since I'm covered by my husband's health insurance policy and didn't need to take my employer's plan). I'm working in my field of choice, and I'm working exactly in the place I wanted to work.  Yup, I got 3/3 as a new grad ;-) 

After 3 years and on my 2nd job, now I am getting good pay with great bennies. 3/3 for me as well.

First job was to get into the field. First 6 months of $45 hr without any benefits. Now that was hard but worth it because of great teaching opportunities. Still do a part time with the place.

• Administrator

Compensation wasn't a problem, ever.  Mind you, if I wanted to go back to Infosec as a consultant, I can now command a ridiculously high salary with 18 years in IT and 3 years as a practicing provider. EASILY double what I make now, if I'm willing to commute and travel.  But that's not what I want.

I recently downsized my job to be able to have more time actually treating patients--I took a compensation cut to take a commensurate cut in workload/intensity.

does it ever happen (in this profession) where you think you are getting way less than you should be for doing the same thing a medical doctor does (obviously dont demand their salary, but something more decent than the national average $92k according to google)??

• Administrator

does it ever happen (in this profession) where you think you are getting way less than you should be for doing the same thing a medical doctor does (obviously dont demand their salary, but something more decent than the national average $92k according to google)??

Is the grass ever greener?  Every time I start to think like that, I remind myself: "no residency", and cherish the priceless time I get to spend with my teen boys and preteen daughter.

some folks work a lot more hrs as a pa than they would have as an md/do resident. I had a lot of years(more than 3...) in which I worked consistently 220+ hrs/mo while watching the pgy-2 and pgy-3 FP residents go home after their 40-50 hr work weeks...I'm finally starting to develop a sense of work/life balance by working only 12 and 24 hr shifts, leading to many more days off/month.

some folks work a lot more hrs as a pa than they would have as an md/do resident. I had a lot of years(more than 3...) in which I worked consistently 220+ hrs/mo while watching the pgy-2 and pgy-3 FP residents go home after their 40-50 hr work weeks...I'm finally starting to develop a sense of work/life balance by working only 12 and 24 hr shifts, leading to many more days off/month.

but you are talking about people who work more. Im talking about normal (whatever that means in the speciality) hours. 

Archived