Video: Asking strangers what a physician assistant is

We all should do this and forward it to the aapa and medical doctor association. No matter who you are, this should be deemed as a problem. From citizen, to doctor, to nurse, or PA. It diminishes our reputations. Every once in a while I see someone at intake and they say, "I didn't even get to see a doctor; I seen his assistant"

A couple of the answers were pretty good though not very articulate. The rest were clueless and they just picked up on the word assistant. Therein less the problem. If you were to ask what a Physician Associate is, you would likely get very different answers. Heck, 40% of Americans cant name the vice president. Forget about Senate Majority Leader, Speaker of the House, Sec. Of State, or any other cabinet member. Name just one Supreme Court justice? No way. We should get Jesse Watters to do this. The fact is, most Americans are very shallow and have only a 3 min attention span.

I actually thought a couple of the answers were decent. I'm not sure we're ever going to get the public to regurgitate the whole truth of our profession. Heck, I bet if you asked people "what does a doctor do" most of them would say "takes care of sick people". 

I'd be happy if someone answered "what does a PA do?" with "takes care of sick people."

• 2 years later...

Oh my gosh, that video is disheartening. To be fair, there are plenty of professions that I cannot explain, either. My best friend’s SO has explained his job to me several times but it’s so high up in tech and internet stuff that I can’t even repeat or retain what he’s told me, lol. However, if you’ve been cared for by a PA, it would be nice if you could know, at least, that you’ve seen a provider.

I still like MP. I know a lot of people think changing to associate is simpler, but we practice medicine. If you ask someone what an MP or Medical Practitioner does and all they had to go off of were the two words in the title (like a couple of those people did with PA), they would say someone who practices medicine and they would be right.

Archived