Coverage for Grad School

Hey Guys! 

So I am applying to PA school this upcoming summer & am definitely worried about cost, where I am solely applying only out of state..being that I have several programs I would like to apply for! With that being said, I know there is no deadline in filling out the FASFA application for graduate students, like there was for undergrad & I've heard I can submit that application, then add more schools later. Being that I am still finalizing my list of schools I want to apply for.

But does filling out the FASFA cover all of expenses would you say? Or would any of you recommend other sources to apply for to get aid to help out with costs?

Thanks!

Cristin 

Hey Guys! 

So I am applying to PA school this upcoming summer & am definitely worried about cost, where I am solely applying only out of state..being that I have several programs I would like to apply for! With that being said, I know there is no deadline in filling out the FASFA application for graduate students, like there was for undergrad & I've heard I can submit that application, then add more schools later. Being that I am still finalizing my list of schools I want to apply for.

But does filling out the FASFA cover all of expenses would you say? Or would any of you recommend other sources to apply for to get aid to help out with costs?

Thanks!

Cristin 

The FAFSA application will give you 20,500 in unsubsidized direct loans per year (and maybe up to $8,000 Perkins loans depending on the school). The rest will have to come from grad plus loans or private loans, which both require good credit or a co-signer. I've heard Discover health professional loans discussed around here before, maybe look into that? Loans from Sallie Mae is another popular option.

Just an FYI, government loans (unsubsidized and grad plus) are much more forgiving than private companies. Take that into consideration when comparing rates. Having trouble finding a job? Apply for deferment. Lost your job? Apply for deferment. Have a private loan and have trouble finding a job or lose your job? Enjoy fees & increased rates.

Archived