I'm preparing to apply for the 2015-2016 application cycle. I am a senior finishing up my undergrad in Biology. I currently have a 3.3 GPA & a 3.0 sGPA. I have over 14,000 HCE hours. I have shadowed and done internships with NPs and PAs. I've tried figuring out my cGPA and from what I can figure out with their grading scale and some classes I've retaken, its around a 2.7 and sGPA is about the same. I'm wondering whether or not most PA programs look at only your cGPA? and if so, Should I wait to apply and take some more classes to boost my GPA?

Thank you for your help

Most programs have an cutoff of 3.0 for cGPA and usually a higher cutoff for sGPA, like 3.2. You should wait until you have at least a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA to be safe or you might be pouring money down the drain from applications, its not cheap.

Some schools pay more attention to your last grades than your first. By the time you are a senior, it takes a lot of As to pull up 3.5 years of lower grades. CASPA only averages grades, so repeating a C and getting an A this time nets you a B, for example.

There may be something very unique about you that makes you a great candidate;I can't tell from what little we know about you. You would probably learn more by scheduling an appointment with an academic coordinator at one of the schools you are interested in. You might also consider a year "Post-Bacc" to prove you can get through a year of hard sciences with a much better academic record.

Good luck.

Archived