is it true that after 5 years or so the PA hit a glass ceiling?

clearly its true based off the posts here...so once u hit that ceiling, the best option to change up the setting?

or get additional training. do a residency in the same or a different specialty, get a doctoral degree, move to a frendlier state for PAs, etc.

This may get misinterpreted, but this is one of the main reasons why I switched from PA to NP school. I have already stated on a number of occasions that PA curriculum (in general) is superior to NP education. However, a DNP is a terminal degree in nursing; a doctorate in physical therapy is the terminal degree in PT. For PA, I feel like the terminal degree is MD/DO, which is why places like LECOM exist.

I think a lot of it is semantics. Though, I like knowing that NP's are independent providers in over 15 states. That says a lot about their lobbying power and what they're capable of. I personally don't care to be independent and I probably won't be (as I live in Illinois). It's nice to know that you received the highest degree in a particular field. Either way they're both great professions and I hope to work with a lot of you in the future. 

PA is my third career.  My first was corporate IT.  Pretty much everyone who didn't become managers hit the flat spot in the salary curves after 5-10 years.  I was no exception.  Salaries increased only when the overall curves moved up, e.g. when the market had increased competition for people.  My ending salary, with a batchelors degree, was pretty much the same as I make now.  However, the internet made it possible for those jobs to go overseas, and they did.  My second career was in the fire service.  Again, you top out there in about 5 years.  Further increases only come when the whole salary scale moves up.  So, maxing out on compensation, especially in terms of hourly rate, as a PA doesn't surprise me.  From my employer's point of view, my ability to handle patients grows rapidly over my first few years then grows slowly thereafter.  So, the amount of money I make for them also levels off.

I agree with what E stated earlier.

As for the "glass ceiling" I'm not sure that's a good descriptor. If so, doesn't every profession encounter it at some point? A janitor is only going to make so much, as is a neurosurgeon. Sooner or later all will reach the top of their pay scale/clinical practice. When that happens a decision needs to be made.... continue with the status quo or don't. Honesty, at the end of the day that's what it comes down to.

If you're fine with where you are, then there you go. I know several PA's/docs that are content with FM working 32-40 hours/week and making less money. I for one am not that person. After 2 years being trained/mentored by a great doc in ED and hospital medicine I figured there were more opportunities out there. (for the record, I thought about it for some time. The final decision came when the doc told me he was quitting to take a job in another state). At that point I thought what the hell, and started working locums. Since I have had the opportunity to work with some great people, and have learned much.... and increased my salary each year. Now nearly 7 years out of school, 5 years after that dissection I find my self asking the same questions..... status quo or change?           

Yes, in some ways you will hit a glass ceiling in both regards.  I have been practicing almost 13 years, the first seven I was completely satisfied with pay, autonomy, pretty much everything.  The last five I have felt like although I contribute a great deal to the practice, am very productive and very knowledgeable in my field I am at the top 10 percent for PA pay and if anything if I change specialties I will take a large pay cut.  I honestly don't see making any more than I do now besides small raises for at least the next five years.    I have autonomy and see everything at my practice so no restrictions, but have felt treated like an employee not a fellow practitioner quite frequently.  Where this was not a problem for me my first five years, now it is a harder pill to swallow.  For example, recently my SP gave me a list of dates he was going to be out of town and said he expected me to be in the office those dates.  He would never do that to one of his fellow group partners, and I came back with a list out of those that I already had plans and we would just not be available those days.  That is the mindset that bothers me, at this point in my career I just don't tolerate it, but sometimes the lack of respect after so many years is demoralizing. 

I do think there are some very forward thinking practices that treat PA's like fellow clinicians, ask for their opinion on policy, allow them to have more of a pay structure based on production, and allow profit sharing, those seem to be few and far between, but hopefully with time this will improve.  Overall, I would still encourage students to go to PA school, it is rewarding to practice medicine.  I personally did not want to go to medical school, but I understand some of the more seasoned PAs feelings of being at that glass ceiling, it is there, I think it is just how you react to it and if you can accept where you are and be content. 

Well said and good advice. The biggest hindrance to our growth in the profession is how a practice treats you and rewards your efficiency and hard work for said practice. At the end of the day we are in a business and with that comes greed. I think there comes a time when its best to leave a group after you realize they no longer value you as a practitioner and care more about what you are generating

• Administrator

Hi everyone.

My question is that why physician from colleges outside of US or even from US are not eligible to apply to PA program?

This is an FAQ.  Bottom line, PA school training is different than physician training--it's more compact, and can't count on internship and residency to meld a practitioner ready for licensure, so one has to have graduated from a PA school to sit for the PA boards, because passing a test is only one part of the package.

But I'm answering the question I think you were trying to ask, rather than what you did ask.  In fact, an MD, IMG or domestic, can apply for PA school, but they get to go through the same program as everyone else, with no credit or advanced standing, for precisely the same reason as above.

I've known IMGs who did wonderful in a PA program and are now practicing as US PAs, and I've reviewed others as an interviewer who had little concept what the profession actually is and does, relative to the other applicants in that pool.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived