Vascular vs Trauma Position

A lot of trauma has gone non operative with the advent with IR and CT scans, I'm currently with a trauma service where I just do a lot of discharges, dressing changes and trauma codes. The residents have priority with the emergency surgeries. AnywayI have an interview with a Vascular surgeon who states that his practice will be 60:40  (Scut work such as floors/consults/preop/postop vs OR time) . I looked at SDN for Vascular vs Trauma lifestyle , from a physician standpoint they both kind of stink lifestyle wise, a lot of emergent cases without a lot of info. However I'm curious to hear PA's in the surgical theaters on this forum and how they like their respective position in vascular vs trauma. I heard a resident tell me he doesn't like Vascular because a lot are "walking zombies" with tons of medical problems , which I have seen from first hand experience.  Just wanted to hear other perspectives to see if I should jump to Vascular. I live in a major city where academic affiliations are everywhere and a PA breathing 10 feet from the OR is a rarity , kind of forever subjected to scut, if you're not experienced already/done a residency. The new place looks promising, it's a community hospital with no residents, the attending states he's eager to teach.

Convulsed

I currently transitioned from CT surgery to Vascular, and all I can say is that I love it and couldn't be happier! I am the sole PA working for 4 surgeons in a non-academically affiliated, hospital based practice as their dedicated 1st assist, so my primary role is in the OR and my secondary role is to round & do floor work on the hospital wards. I also work with a NP who primarily practices in our outpatient clinic, but who also co-rounds with me on our inpatients.

In my experience, your overall job satifaction & lifestyle as a PA - even within any given specialty - can vary greatly, and it all just depends on how your particular practice is structured. At my hosptial, (which is a level 2 trauma center) we have 4 trauma PAs who do all the 1st assisting for their service, as do I. However, when I was in PA school, most of the trauma PAs I met were primarily hired to do floor/scut work, and rarely went in the OR. Again, it all just depends on how your practice is sturctured and what your supervising MDs goals and expectations are. You might also want to ask what percentage of open vs endovascular cases your potential supervising MD performs. At my practice, we have a healthy balance of both types of cases. However, if your MD does primarily endovascular work and you are looking for more of an "open" surgical practice environment, then that position might not be a good fit for you.

Good luck, and may you find a practice that fits!

- J

floors/consults/preop/postop is NOT scut, it is called surgical practice!

it is true that vasculopaths have medical comorbidities and unless you plan on having a hospitalist manage everything ortho-style, you better enjoy internal medicine

remember- a surgeon is an internist who completed his training.

• 9 months later...

Archived