PA Nightmares

While people can act towards you anyway they want to, no one surrenders their dignity unless they agree to do so. Be professional, be teachable, learn what there is to be learned (it ain't all about medicine!), and remember you're only there for a month (or whatever it is at your school).

I loved rotations; I wish there was a way to do it for a career! You see so much: patients, diseases, different preceptors, different offices, different styles, days, night, one SP vs many, etc. 

Don't expect this to be a nightmare; you can do a month of almost anything standing on your head.

Go get 'em!

I just hoped I didn't get a Delta Bravo as a preceptor.  So far so good.....only had one and he wasn't that bad...just thought he was "Gods Gift to Medicine."  I know a good provider when I see one...this guy wasn't.

I had to look that up. I like it. :)

I have a different nick name for those sorts of folks - "Fecal cephalic".  All comes out the same in the wash.

My trauma rotation had my first night on call start with a disaster alert due to a plane crashing into an apartment building 12 blocks away...the Code Orange went off literally during my first bathroom break of the day at 1700 (I'd been on since 0700)...

SK

• 2 weeks later...

I thought clinicals would be much more malignant than they were, unless for some reason I was just lucky.  You'll be fine on rotations.  You'll be pimped with some questions, but nobody is going to expect you to be an expert already.  And if they do - they're just being jerks or are unrealistic.

I dreamed a lot about work nightmares in my first year, but it gets better.  Everyone has worries.  It's a high stress sort of job, but it can be survivable.

I have a different nick name for those sorts of folks - "Fecal cephalic".  All comes out the same in the wash.

My trauma rotation had my first night on call start with a disaster alert due to a plane crashing into an apartment building 12 blocks away...the Code Orange went off literally during my first bathroom break of the day at 1700 (I'd been on since 0700)...

SK

I was on the second day of an internal medicine rotation on 9/11.  The hospital I was rotating at was advised to prepare for 100+ casualties, so we were sent down to the ED with our supervising resident to help dispo all of the patients (admit anyone immediately who needed admission, and send everyone else home).  Once we cleared as many patients as possible, we set up every room to prepare for a trauma patient, and set up chairs, oxygen and nebulizer setups in the ambulance bay.  

Oh . . . I thought you were saying this really happened, but you were saying the nightmare really occurred in your sleep.

My nightmares are always me speaking to a huge conference audience and realizing that I'm in my underwear, or doing heart surgery alone in my underwear. Okay, where is Freud?

I had an actual PA nightmare last night. (really). I showed up for a shift and had 2 new pa students waiting for me. both were 16 years old and starting their clinical year.

Just start calling them "doogies". They won't even get the reference. ; )

Doogie Howser, PA

Archived