CT guided biopsies as an intervention radiology PA.

So I am currently a registered CT technologist and am starting PA school in May. A radiologist approached me saying that once I become a PA they would like to hire me so that I would be able to do some of the CT guided biopsies that they do (bone marrow biopsies were specifically mentioned). Does anyone know the specifics laws regarding PA's and the use of radiation? Could I as both a registered CT tech and PA be able to do CT guided biopsies?

I did a short time as a radiology PA and all of the PAs there did CT guided biopsies, u/s guided biopsies, LPs and a lot of PICC lines.  We were supervised for the first 6 months and they documented how many we did with supervision until we were comfortable and could safely do them on our own.  Of course there is always at least one MD on site, but like previous posters said rarely in the room while an experienced PA was doing the procedures.  Very good field to get into as a PA, a lot of autonomy and probably one of the highest paid positions you can get as procedures yield a lot of reimbursement.  The PAs I was with really felt like they were doing good for their patients and were very satisfied with their careers.

fluoro is a state law issue - look at the state you are in

CT is a subsect of Rad Tech in my state sooooo

in the past the only "legal" people to step on the pedal, were RT/PA

BUT this changed a few years back and now after a one week course PAs can legally step on the pedal

Why am I talking about fluoro when you asked about CT?????

In CT you will ALWAYS have a RT./CT tech running the machine you are not the one administering the radiation, and hence a PA can and does to CT guided procedures as a regular part of their job.  The bigger part however is in the fluoro labs (special procedures) where all the fun stuff goes on and by being a RT/PA you should be able to always step on the pedal yourself.  BUT most states now seem to be adopting this one week course which allows any PA (who has passed it) to step on the pedal

hope it helps....

Why am I talking about fluoro when you asked about CT?????

In CT you will ALWAYS have a RT./CT tech running the machine you are not the one administering the radiation, 

Not true...we have a portable remote control unit for the scanners that I control when performing these procedures...the CT techs serve as circulators and will manipulate the scanner if the remote doesn't have those functions...

Not true...we have a portable remote control unit for the scanners that I control when performing these procedures...the CT techs serve as circulators and will manipulate the scanner if the remote doesn't have those functions...

hum didn't know that

We always would direct the tech where, when and how to scan, but he/she was the one to actually do it.....

learn something new today

Archived