NPs in North Carolina Seek Less Restrictive Practice Laws

Guest Paula

I would love to see 100 PAs storm the NC legislature with similar requests, with studies in hand on the safe and competent care we give, and discuss the onerous practice laws that PAs live under. 

Where are they?

I would love to see 100 PAs storm the NC legislature with similar requests, with studies in hand on the safe and competent care we give, and discuss the onerous practice laws that PAs live under. 

Where are they?

they aren't in NC. it's the best state in the nation to practice in as a PA. "supervision" = meeting with a doc for 30 minutes twice/yr to discuss your practice. no chart review. no on site requirements. easy to open your own clinic, etc.

Guest Paula

Bc its a liberal state with good PA laws, why not try and take that "last step" and go for independent practice like the NPs?

Exactly!

Bc its a liberal state with good PA laws, why not try and take that "last step" and go for independent practice like the NPs?

I agree. we should go for it for the same reasons that the np's mentioned such as the doctors refusal to supervise as well as the possibility of the doctor dying or something. I really think we should be working hand in hand with NP to gain autonomy and independence. Heck we are always grouped together as non physician medical providers so why not work together on a legislative level.

Guest Paula

weezi: do you practice in NC?  If so, send NCAPA a letter requesting that the PAs join the NP bill.  See what they say.   Get all the PAs you can to sign it.  

I agree. we should go for it for the same reasons that the np's mentioned such as the doctors refusal to supervise as well as the possibility of the doctor dying or something. I really think we should be working hand in hand with NP to gain autonomy and independence. Heck we are always grouped together as non physician medical providers so why not work together on a legislative level.

We won't work "hand in hand" with the NPs because they dont need us, and they dont want us.

If NPs get independent primary care practice in the birth place of the PA profession, something drastic needs to happen. This state has THE best practice laws for PAs, and if all it takes is a lobby day and a bill push for NPs to get independence here, we need it too. Either that or the docs need to start pushing back hard against this type of thing.

If more states allow independence for NPs it has a two-fold negative impact on PAs: 1) It makes NPs a more attractive hire over PAs. 2) It creates the false perception that they are somehow more qualified to be independent providers over PAs... despite our more structured, comprehensive, and longer (credit & clinical hrs.) education.

There was an interesting article in Forbes magazine about the increasing number of states that have granted NPs independent practice, 19 so far.

I just have this feeling that we will find ourselves left to practice only in hospitals, where physician oversight is much easier than an OP setting. I recently interviewed for a job where I was the only PA considered, the remainder of the people considered being NPs. This is in an OP setting. The thing that got me the interviews wasn't my training as a PA, but my 20 years experience as a nurse in a multitude of settings, including homecare.

Lobbying the state legislatures is a must. I'm  not sure that offering PhD PA programs is the answer. Besides which, PA programs, in terms of hours required, is practically a doctorate in and of itself.

Guest Paula

The PA profession must become an unsupervised profession by state law in order for PAs to continue to be hired in outpatient settings.  However, I am seeing NPs being hired for hospitalist positions, too, likely because of nurses traditionally having that hospital experience.  

We must get rid of delegation and dependent status.  Collaborative practices.....sure.......I guess so but we also need to have our own PA medical board that provides our oversight.  I just don't see why we must keep ties with the physician boards or oversight.  They certainly have not stood up for us when we attempt to change our state laws. 

I have no obligation to feel I must keep the "team concept" with physicians when they do not understand or support us. IMO.

Archived