Prepping for an EM PA Residency Interview

I have a couple of EM interviews coming up in the next month. Any tips for how to prepare, especially from those who have done it before? To be honest, I'm very excited and looking forward to getting on the ground. However, since PA residencies are a relatively new beast, I don't have much to go on as to what to expect and how to prepare. Are these more get to you know you, find a mutual fit type of affairs or are they make you sweat and the let the best rise to the top type of ordeals?

I'm going to read up about the programs/hospitals, dig around for good EM residency articles/websites, be myself, do the normal interview prep type things, etc. However, much of what is out there is aimed for an MD residency interview. That should translate, right? However, there has to be some differences in how they approach selection and interviewing, especially since the spots are much more limited?

It is definitely a "get to know you" session, with some behavioral-type questions thrown in. When I was interviewing candidates (I'm not affiliated with any program anymore, for the record), I looked for a certain type of individual, but the program wants that type too- adaptable, humble, willing to learn, team player and understanding just what the hell you're getting into. That's certainly what I brough to the table when I was a candidate, and I basically looked for similar characteristics in others.

It's going to be a crapshoot though, because now we're having people interview at multiple programs to increase their chances of getting into a program, and not just going for one program. And, candidates may or may not also suddenly get job offers that make them reconsider doing residency in the first place. So just because a program really likes a couple candidates, neither of those may actually get a spot because they suddenly got a better offer to go do something crazy like medical spa for a bunch of money.

Be humble, be personable, don't be annoying. Act like you're on a first date and the person you're with is really attractive and fun and you really want to impress them

• 2 weeks later...

Really couldn't say it better than True Anomaly.

I'll add that with the 3 interviews I've been on, it's been very much a get-to-know-you, informal type of meeting.  There's usually 3-4 individual interviews that generally last 10-15 minutes.  They're not intense at all unless you're a person given to panic easily (in which case you might wanna rethink EM ;) ).

It's a very different field than, say, applying for PA school.  Just the numbers alone tell the story.  The EMPA residency programs I've seen interview 10-15 applicants for 2-4 spots, and the ratio is never much more than 3:1 interviewees to spots.  If you're dead set on a residency then your odds are even better, because as True Anomaly said, many interviewees will accept jobs instead or a different residency offer.  So your average odds would be closer to 2:1, and if you're a standout candidate that interviews well, an offer is very likely (in my opinion).

If you're committed to entering a residency instead of a job, say so.  If a program is your top pick out of several, say so!  Interviewers are looking as much for applicants that WANT to be there, as much they are your qualifications.  They know that about halfway through residency (or thereabouts) you'll have a gut-check moment, and the residents that have that level of commitment will power through.

**EDIT** Keep in mind that this is pertaining just to EM residencies. I have no experience with other specialties.

Archived