What's Wrong with Nursing Educators?

I dream of a world were we never make judgements of people based on labels. My best boss said to me, "Here, we judge you by the work you do, not by the letters after your name."  I wish that went for all human labels and categories.  Judge us by who we are.

I was going to answer the question by saying that the question answers itself...but I am trying to become more of a glass half full kind of guy these days, so I suppose I could say something along the lines of "Those that can't do, teach." 

I think one of the issues we have to worry about with these sorts of folks is they seem to have a lot of time on their hands while us, our NP colleagues and the real RN's out there are working our collective arses off for our patients - it leaves little time or energy left over to fight back until it's too late.  I (and many other of my colleagues here) are administratively under nursing control for many things, which leads to them thinking only inside their narrow arcs of fire - things like leave policies, which are covered under a collective bargaining agreement with the provincial nurse's union, which have somehow entered into my realm.  Things are such now that we've had no choice but to form our own union in Manitoba to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding salaries, benefits, how those benefits are used, etc and standardising them...the other reason was another union actually tried to take over the PA's in one of the health regions simply to add to their coffers - the rest of us out in the hinterlands were going to be fed to the wolves.  There weren't many polite words or finger gestures at that welcome aboard meeting.  The labour board said we were able to form our own bargaining unit and we've just started collective bargaining negotiations.

I'd echo Paula and say that you've got to get together and brainstorm actions on for best, worst and middle of the road scenarios and get your docs on board as well.

SK 

Archived