New Interventional Radiology Position

I have been working in Cardiothoracic Critical Care for the past 2.5 years and am looking to make the transition to Interventional Radiology here in Northern Virginia. The practice I am currently interviewing with is hiring their first PA and I was wondering how typical practices work with PAs and what you usually do, so I can promote this position along with starting salary ranges. Thanks!

Hello--I transferred to IR a bit over a year ago from surgery, and love it. I function mostly autonomously. I perform the following procedures independently using Ultrasound and fluoro when applicable- Central Lines, PICCs, Temp dialysis caths, tunneled dialysis caths/other tunneled lines like hickmans/ powerlines, paras, thoras, port removals, neph tube xhanges/removals, fistualgrams. I also do the majority of the dialysis access declots (arterial and venous wire access, etc) but hospital policy states rad needs to directly supervise any angioplasty or mechanical thrombolysis. The rads are happy bc they can read cases and bring in way more money. Interventional services in a hospital is key for a rad group because it provides them with a service that can not be outsourced - thus making their PA even more valuable.

• 4 months later...

@ njsurgpa-------The definitions for direct would be that the radiologist only need be in the department. Personal supervision means in the room while you are performing the procedure. So your hospital should have a policy that requires you to observe a certain amount of cases then so many cases personally supervised before full privileges are granted. Our IR docs do all the arterial and venous interventions with or without thrombolytics. Do you do any patient assements and consenting for procedures? I would really like to talk to you about some issues concerning IR PAs. You can privately email me.

Archived