SEMPA 360 - May 2-7 2015

Got my room reservation at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Got the time off. Wife got the time off. 5-yr-old is amped.

It's still 2 months away as I write this, but who's going? Who knows where to get alcohol at Disney World? When should we organize the SEMPA Princess Breakfast? Will there be strong words and intense controversy over which is the best Disney movie? Watch this thread...

We already have our princess breakfast booked for the 1st (getting in a couple of days early to enjoy the park with the family before the conference kicks off).  My 3 and 5 year olds already have their princess dresses ready to go; our friends who are Disney pros advise buying your princess dress before going to save a lot of money (and they are guaranteed to want to dress up)!

I'm going.  Is it best to stay at the conference hotel or try to find something cheaper elsewhere?

Your lodging choices near disney are more than you can count.

Staying at conference hotel is very convenient, nothing like walking downstairs and not dealing with anything other than where are you getting coffee.

If the family is going, both places to stay are very convenient to Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Conversely, there are plenty of less expensive options (239 a night is steep) and they will have shuttles regularly going to resort.

Or you could rent a car if you want that flexibility. Driving around there is rather easy and since it is early May, likely wont be too crowded like it is in winter and winter breaks. Plus a lot of snowbirds start bugging out in April to May which will lessen the crowds too.

I had a friend whom always rented a car, rented a condo outside resort, took monorail in which runs right through the conference hotel. They then had the flexibility to eat in the condo, eat off resort (cheaper) or eat on. They also did other excursions such as beach and Cape Canaveral which were doable with a car.

Have a great time.

G Brothers PA-C

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me know if anyone plans on doing the Emergency Ultrasound Workshop as I am helping teach. We have three workshops: 

1. Basic Ultrasound : Basic physics, FAST, Cardiac, IVC and Aorta

2. Advanced US: MSK/Soft Tissue/Ocular/Renal/RUQ

3. Procedural US: Regional Anesthesia, LP, Central Lines, Abscess, Paricardiocentesis, Thoracentesis

Be great to connect with others on the forum. 

Emerson, I'll be on my way to Orlando on Sunday morning, so I'll miss out on at least a couple of the US workshops. (Not to mention, I don't get to play with the cool toys in my urgent care or Occ Med.)

Even so, we should see about a meet n' greet/ drinking session for PA Forums members. It's basically a tradition by now.

What's really striking me about Disney, as someone who last went in like 1974, is how far ahead everything needs to be planned.

For instance, I can say with a high degree of confidence that Tuesday evening I will be watching fireworks from either somewhere inside the Magic Kingdom, or from the observation deck on the California Grill level of our hotel.

After that, though, I think I'm free for some drinking (I mean networking).

• 2 weeks later...

10 days to go, according to my Disney web page. Who else is getting excited?

So far it's looking like the PA Forum "drinkworking" event might be Tuesday evening May 5. I'd like to suggest around 10:30 or 11pm, at the Wave Lounge right there at the Contemporary. Shortly after fireworks, in other words. How does that sound so far?

I also may be looking to kill some time Sunday night May 3. Anyone want to share a cab from the Contemporary to the Swan, for sushi at Kimono's?

Heyyyyy, there was somebody on reddit also looking to find a spot to watch the fight. Even though there is an ESPN bar there, the feeling is it may not be so easy...

The general rules is that ESPN clubs don't show MMA or boxing fights and they also do not show Pay-per-view events.

To begin with, they would have to do a cover charge for that fight, as based on their capacity it would cost around $10-15k (and as much as $20k) just for the rights to show the fight. They don't even have a cover charge for the Super Bowl, so I doubt you will see them charging people $40 each just to come inside (and with that they probably wouldn't even get enough people at that time to actually cover their losses, since the fight won't even start until almost 11:30 PM Saturday night).

Not much more now, but there could be an update at http://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/34ejl1/arriving_saturday_is_there_any_place_in_property/

Archived