How to apply for IPAP

As an undergrad looking to apply to PA school I was wondering how would I apply for IPAP. Would I have to enlist before applying to the school? And how competitive is it to get in? Also, in your opinion, would it be better to go to IPAP, or a civilian PA school through the payback program. I feel like IPAP would better prepare me for life in the military after I graduate PA school.

I'm pretty sure you have to already be in the military and apply into IPAP, as in be an enlisted Army Medic or Navy Corpsman and then apply. Both are great ways to get experience and IPAP is a great program.

The alternative is to join the national guard for one of their seats. That's a highly competitive route to go and IPAP is pretty competitive in general. 

Yes, you must already be in the military to apply for IPAP.  Each component has specific requirements for applying.  

I can only speak to Air Force requirements.  You must be on active duty as an officer or enlisted member with at least 2 years of service and less than 14 years of active service (the 14 years is waiverable).  You do not need a medical background or a degree to apply but must complete the prerequisite classes as well as at least 60 semester hours of school.  You receive a BS degree at the end of phase I and an MPAS at the end of phase II.  

It is an outstanding program and I feel like it is more than worth the time you put in before you earn the privilege to apply.

By the way, IPAP would do a terrible job of preparing you to serve in the military.  That is what basic training and the various commissioning sources are for.  They expect you to already know how to be an outstanding Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Coastie before you begin the program.

Here is a link to the website.  There is also a Facebook group, just search IPAP.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/

Currently the Army will allow reserves and gaurd to apply, though you better have some outstanding quals for them to consider. An interesting pathway would be to apply for a SOCOM 18D billet through a gaurd or reserve unit and then apply to IPAP. Longer route, and only if you are interested in kicking down doors and think you can hang physically with the operators.

One correction to the above is the Air Force and Army are allowing ROTC cadets to apply as well right now, which may be another consideration if you think you could swing an undergrad scholarship with them.

Apply for the Navy before PA school. It's a much better deal and you have a better shot (more open slots). Contact a recruiter while you are applying to PA school to get the details and a contact so you can get your app in as soon as you go into a program.

Great checko is right. Your chances of getting a direct accession after PA school for loan repayment is low compared to applying before school, definitely in the Navy. Only around 5 slots per year in the navy for that, whereas HSCP (pays salary, not tuition) had 15 slots last year. The AF has HPSP which pays tuition, (no HSCP though) but is more competitive from what I hear. Not sure the direct accession numbers for AF, but I know they have the lowest repayment amount of all the services. The army has no scholarship program for PA and only does direct accession. They do have the highest loan repayment amount and I imagine they take a larger number of direct accession.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

My problem is the fact that I am and IDC on a submarine. I know I can access the internet and do the on line coursework. But I was told by the United States Military University that they would send me lab "Kits" in the mail. I wonder if they would allow me to do these labs when I am green side 3 or 4 months?

On 2/25/2015 at 4:46 PM, CorpsmanUP said:

Currently the Army will allow reserves and guard to apply, though you better have some outstanding quals for them to consider.

I would argue that it is far easier to get accepted into IPAP through the NG than it would  be through the regular Army or even the reserves.  The NG gets 30 seats a year divided over 3 classes (10 seats per class).  They also designate alternates in case any of the selected don't get to go.  For the class I was in, 26 people were boarded for 10 slots.  Both alternates were picked up (one selectee failed the APFT upon arrival and was sent packing 😞 ).  Those are great odds.

I would always recommend people thinking about going this route to enlist as a 68W - medic.

The biggest problems with applying through the NG are:

1) Your state has to fund it. If your state has enough PAs, they may not need to pay to send you.

2) If you enlist, you have to serve for around 3 years before you can apply (in general, you should be approaching SGT and have gone to BLC). The good news is that your basic an AIT apply towards this.

3) If you join now with the expectation of going in 3 years, you have no way of knowing what your state's training budget and needs will be at the time you would want to apply to  IPAP. But while serving as enlisted, you can use the GI Bill, any bonus, and Tuition Assistance to finish your prerequisites... all while gaining excellent experience as a medic that will help you on not only your IPAP application, but any application to civilian schools and on your resume.

4) If you apply to IPAP and get accepted but your state does not want to fund it, you can do an Interstate Transfer to a state that needs a PA and agrees to pay for it.  You will then owe that state 6 years of drilling. I would say it is still worth it.

I would also emphasize that 6 years of drilling is a ridiculously easy payback for a masters and PA education. You get school completely paid for and get a decent salary while going.  I came out of PA school with no debt and an increased savings account

Also, if you go to a civilian PA program and still want to serve in the NG, you can sign up for a 6 year hitch.  They will pay $75k ($25k a year) towards your student loans for the first 3 years and then another $25k a year for the next 3 years.  That's $150k!  Most of the NG PAs I know went this route instead of IPAP.