Did I Miss the Memo: Elementary or Secondary School PA???

Hi,

I just looked at the National Salary Report 2010 for PAs and it says an Elementary or Secondary School PA has an average salary of $115K --> http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2010.aspx

Um...did I miss something? Yes, that's an awesome salary but forget the salary. I'm moreso focused of the setting--elementary school. :=D: PAs can work in elementary schools? If so, SIGN ME UP! I've been working as a substitute teacher for the past two years and I've been secretly wishing I could be an elementary school PA but I didn't now that was an option.

What do you guys know about being an elementary or secondary school PA? I thought elementary schools/secondary schools only hired nurses? And those jobs were really hard to find..

Let me know!

Thanks. :=D:

P.S. I posted this thread because I googled "Elementary school physician assistant" and nothing came up. Hhhmm...that doesn't look very promising. How did this "setting" make it on the salary report if I can't even find it on google? So, I figured I'd make my way to the PA forum in hopes of someone shedding a little light on this setting.

Hi,

I just looked at the National Salary Report 2010 for PAs and it says an Elementary or Secondary School PA has an average salary of $115K --> http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2010.aspx

Um...did I miss something? Yes, that's an awesome salary but forget the salary. I'm moreso focused of the setting--elementary school. :=D: PAs can work in elementary schools? If so, SIGN ME UP! I've been working as a substitute teacher for the past two years and I've been secretly wishing I could be an elementary school PA but I didn't now that was an option.

What do you guys know about being an elementary or secondary school PA? I thought elementary schools/secondary schools only hired nurses? And those jobs were really hard to find..

Let me know!

Thanks. :=D:

P.S. I posted this thread because I googled "Elementary school physician assistant" and nothing came up. Hhhmm...that doesn't look very promising. How did this "setting" make it on the salary report if I can't even find it on google? So, I figured I'd make my way to the PA forum in hopes of someone shedding a little light on this setting.

If you look at the AAPA census school based health facility (as seperate from college based health facility) is listed as a place of employment. These are usually city or county health facilities housed within a primary or secondary school. There population may be the school or the surrounding community. The problem with the advance study is you don't know the N. The same job for NPs lists a salary of $77k. If one PA is the only one that reported and they make $115k then thats the average (the way the AAPA works they would not have reported that since its too small to be statistically meaningful). There are a number of other problems with the advance census which also play into this.

Ok. Interesting...I've never heard of a School Based Health. I'm definitely interested...

So, how would I become a school based PA? Is there a special PA program that I have to go to? Do I have to make sure the PA program will allow me to rotate through schools? Do I just become a pediatric PA and look for employment in a school based health facility? I'm on the AAPA website but I do not see any information about SBH; I just see the accredited programs.

Also, do you know if SBH PAs have a standard teacher schedule? (i.e. M-F 8am-3pm, spring break vacation, etc.) Are SBH PAs employed by the school district? And, last question: How would I go about finding these jobs? I'm looking online but I don't see anything for this particular setting.

*I know I went overboard w/ all of the questions but I'm really interested in this; perhaps someone can help me. Thanks in advance! :=D:

• 3 years later...

I was going to ask this same question until I saw this, so I'm bringing it back to life.  Anyone know anything about working in a secondary-school setting?  That'd be my dream job, but no one I've talked to has ever heard of such a thing before.  Either the school-based health mentioned above, or maybe some large boarding schools or something, or something else?  I'm taking the prereqs for PA school now, but have considered the possibility of switching to nurse and then maybe NP because of the possibility of working in school-type settings.

Thanks!

Archived