Accepted Students Class of 2017

Hello Every one,

I wanted to start this thread for all the students who have been accepted and are planning to attend

SMU. We can discuss financial aid , housing, tuition fees all the other related topics...

My first question to all those who have been accepted is when do we get the confirmation email??

Thank you.

I still haven't gotten my email/any additional info and I was accepted last Thursday. In all the excitement from the call, I neglected to ask the important questions :). I tried calling and left a message but haven't heard back either. Does anyone know when we need to turn in the deposit? Or who specifically I can call? I tried calling and emailing Pam too but neither went through.

I just went back and checked the dates. I actually got the email about two weeks after getting the call. The email came directly from SMU. It has information on paying your seat deposit, background check, transcripts, physicals, fin aid. They give you ten business days from receiving the email to turn in the deposit, which is all done online. I'm pretty sure it just took a while to get the email because they had to generate the log ins!

I'm so sad Pam is retired from the university. She seemed like a very nice and helpful person. She called me on her last day to welcome me to the program and say sorry that she cant be there in the fall! It was so thoughtful of her!! She didn't mention anything about someone replacing her but did give me information on who to call in case I had any questions before the program starts.

I got the acceptance email this morning...a huge surprise since I never received an acceptance phone call!  (or maybe they tried, but with my poor cell reception where I live...)

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!  I don't have a Facebook account, but if anyone needs help with anything (I live in Berkeley) please send me a message. 

Also, California has a good health insurance marketplace (CA's Affordable Care Act marketplace, it's called Covered California).  If you cannot afford the SMU student insurance and/or want to look into alternatives this would be a good option.  The big insurerance companies here are Blue Cross/ Blue Shield and Kaiser.

Congratulations to everyone so far! I can't wait to meet you guys!

Has anyone looked into housing? I've been looking around different areas but everything seems so pricey. I'm going to be moving from Las Vegas where cost of living is relatively inexpensive compared to the Bay Area. Has anyone considered a roommate situation?

Congrats everyone! Can't wait to meet you all! I was wondering about housing too! I will be moving from Phoenix, Arizona, where housing is relatively cheap! Some of the first year students that I toured with at the interview recommended Alameda. Anyone have advice?!

Does any one who got accepted planning to commute from Santa Clara/Sunnyvale and the nearby areas. I live in Campbell which has 40 mins drive ( if there is no traffic). I was planning to commute for couple of months and if it is too much , then want to move close by with family. I have a one year old baby. My husband works for Intel. I will have my parents to help me out when classes start. We were also thinking about moving to walnut creek, ( which I believe is 20 mins drive). Any other suggestions about good residential areas nearby?? I am exploring all the options I have .. Thank you.

Congrats everyone! Stoked to meet you all and continue this awesome journey. @sio2023, I also got the HPSA scholarship for Hawaii! Maybe we will have some of the same rotation sites there. I currently live in San Luis Obispo (about half way between LA and San Francisco), and I also heard that Alameda was a good place to live. I have some friends that are talking about maybe moving up there as well in the fall but come summer I will definitely be looking to lock down a for sure living arrangement. I don't check on here to often but if anyone has any questions/ wants to stay in touch email me at maypeter@live.com or give me a call/text at 8054586255. We should try and make a Facebook group too (I actually started to try but I don't have anyone to invite to the group so it wouldn't let me haha). 

Hey guys! I guess I would run into the same problem if I tried to make the Facebook group since I wouldn't have anyone to add either. I'll post my fb url so feel free to add me so that we can get this started! I'm super excited to meet all of you, even if it's virtually for now lol!

@sio2023, I believe classes start on 8/31 but we will have an orientation before then. I looked up the academic calendar and it still says TBD. Pam said we probably won't be getting more information until the summer.

Thank you for creating the page Sio.

Also I wanted to know there is nothing mentioned about where to submit the transcripts for the finished or on going prerequisites after the CAPSA cycle. I finished one of them in fall and will one in March. Any idea where to submit them or they do not care about them as you have been accepted? Can any one throw some light on this ? Thank you. There was nothing mentioned about them in the acceptance email I got.

Archived